Input jack on a Baron

Old November 24th 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Greg Farris

Default Input jack on a Baron

I am aware that in real planes most commands are made through the
conventional flight controls - however there are some operations that
simply *require* a keyboard. Fuel management, for example.

Let's say I want to fly my Baron from Boisie, Idaho to Khartoum. I have
done in-depth calculations, involving complex algorithms and in my
estimation, even if I start with full fuel, I may run out before I get to
Sudan. In this case, without a keyboard to re-establish a given fuel
level, the flight cannot continue. Looking at pictures of real planes, I
do not see any dedicated button on the panel to accomplish this function,
so I can only assume there must be a keyboard input *somewhere* - but
WHERE? I cannot see it anywhere!

Another example - on a short hop from Los Angeles (LAX) to Chicago
(ORD). Obviously fuel is no problem on this short distance, but there is
a long, boring section, after crossing the Rockies at FL370 - the
terrain levels out, and it seems to take forever to get up to the Midwest
plains and make my approach to O'hare. I would like to just skip this
whole section, but once again I find no function in the real plane
allowing me to do this. So there must be a keyboard input . . .

Please be so kind as to enlighten me. In return I will challenge
everything you say and tell you you are simply not smart enough to grasp
my algorithms. . .

Old November 24th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug[_1_]

Stuff $100 bills into the CD Drive and fuel comes out the USB port?

Old November 24th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

The new Baron's come with special dilithium crystal fuel
conversion units that use the Earth's static electrical
fields as a power source to synthesize gasoline in the fuel
tanks by converting the coffee as the second step in the
process.

The pilot and passengers all drink a lot of coffee in order
to extend the range. One cup of coffee makes 24 gallons of
gasoline.

"Greg Farris" wrote in message
|I am aware that in real planes most commands are made
through the
| conventional flight controls - however there are some
operations that
| simply *require* a keyboard. Fuel management, for example.
|
| Let's say I want to fly my Baron from Boisie, Idaho to
Khartoum. I have
| done in-depth calculations, involving complex algorithms
and in my
| estimation, even if I start with full fuel, I may run out
before I get to
| Sudan. In this case, without a keyboard to re-establish a
given fuel
| level, the flight cannot continue. Looking at pictures of
real planes, I
| do not see any dedicated button on the panel to accomplish
this function,
| so I can only assume there must be a keyboard input
*somewhere* - but
| WHERE? I cannot see it anywhere!
|
| Another example - on a short hop from Los Angeles (LAX)
to Chicago
| (ORD). Obviously fuel is no problem on this short
distance, but there is
| a long, boring section, after crossing the Rockies at
FL370 - the
| terrain levels out, and it seems to take forever to get up
to the Midwest
| plains and make my approach to O'hare. I would like to
just skip this
| whole section, but once again I find no function in the
real plane
| allowing me to do this. So there must be a keyboard input
.. . .

Old November 24th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_1_]

I believe that our Aztec used to have it's keyboard in a "map tray" located
under the co-pilots panel, but since previous owners removed the map tray, I
can only assume that they discarded the keyboard. Obviously this decreased
the value of our aircraft tremendously. I have noticed remnants of the
previous "map tray/keyboard" install such as the tray rails and the power
connection and I'm hoping to one day find a replacement keyboard and data
cable on ebay. It sure would be nice to have that "auto-fuel" button.
Because our plane has injected low compression engines, we can't get the
auto fuel STC, so my only hope is to find a keyboard with the factory
installed auto fuel function. I don't think our plane came with the "fast
forward" function, I believe that was only available in the turbo models.
If you have a Baron, you might try calling Jet-Prop Conversions, I think
they sell an STC'd Fast Forward package for the Baron.
Jim

Old November 24th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Steve,

The correct procedure is to use a Sinclair ZX-81

Which is the last safe computer for flying, too. I know since I worked
as cleaning personal in a Sinclair shop before they outsourced my job
to Bangalore.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 24th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

If you look at the panel for the Eclipse 500, you will see
the keyboard mounts
http://www.eclipseaviation.com/eclip...ght_deck.html#

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
| "Greg Farris" wrote in message
| In article
.com,
| says...
|

| Stuff $100 bills into the CD Drive and fuel comes out
the USB port?

| The cemeteries of the US are overflowing with the
corpses of dangerous
| pilots like yourself! The Baron is too old to have a
USB port - they
| certainly had their keyboards connected through RS-232
serial ports. I
| have designed many such aircraft, and I must say I would
feel a lot safer
| if I didn't have to share the skies with people like
you. Your attitude
| shows you have little respect for the truth.
|

| You are correct. The correct procedure is to use a
Sinclair ZX-81, enter the
| program, and save it to tape. If you'll notice, this uses
the same 1/8" jack
| as the line-in or music-in on your intercom.
|
| If you don't have a newer intercom, you'll need to enter
the commands four
| bits at a time using the Fuel Pump, Nav lights, landing
light, rotating
http://home.att.net/~n6480r/IMG_1340.JPG )

| When you have the correct arrangements of switches,
depress the starter

Old November 24th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

The cemeteries of the US are overflowing with the corpses of dangerous
pilots like yourself! The Baron is too old to have a USB port

That's why it's important to get a floppy.

Jose
--
"There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing. Unfortunately, nobody knows
what they are." - (mike).
Old November 24th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Steve Foley" wrote

You are correct. The correct procedure is to use a Sinclair ZX-81, enter the
program, and save it to tape. If you'll notice, this uses the same 1/8" jack
as the line-in or music-in on your intercom.

If you don't have a newer intercom, you'll need to enter the commands four
bits at a time using the Fuel Pump, Nav lights, landing light, rotating
beacon switches. ( see http://home.att.net/~n6480r/IMG_1340.JPG )

When you have the correct arrangements of switches, depress the starter
button.

NO! Don't do that. That is the back door way to fire the ejection seat!
--
Jim in NC

Obit: Jack Laister - Soaring Pioneer - November 19th 2006 [email protected] Soaring 0 November 21st 06 02:44 PM
Garmin GMA 340 Music Input O. Sami Saydjari Instrument Flight Rules 16 April 28th 05 12:51 AM
Passing of Richard Miller [email protected] Soaring 5 April 5th 05 01:54 AM
Cobra jack warning Andy Durbin Soaring 8 June 30th 04 02:32 AM
Red Baron vs. Rickenbacker? Gregorso Military Aviation 28 October 13th 03 07:26 PM