Instructor Effectiveness

Old September 14th 08, 07:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Godwin

Default Instructor Effectiveness

Frank Olson wrote in
:

I like the "ruler across the knuckles" approach. If you don't
have a ruler handy, a kneeboard across the back of the head works
just as good.

You woulda made a great nun :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Old September 14th 08, 12:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

John Godwin wrote:
Frank Olson wrote in
:

I like the "ruler across the knuckles" approach. If you don't
have a ruler handy, a kneeboard across the back of the head works
just as good.

You woulda made a great nun :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Funny you should say that. My first brush into compressibility was the
day Sister Paskillina caught me smoking in the boys bathroom between
classes at St. Aloysius Academy and laid that long hickory pointing
stick with the little rubber tip down across my outstretched palm.
I can still hear that "whoooooooooosh" !!!!!!
:-))))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old September 14th 08, 01:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-09-14, Dudley Henriques wrote:
I think I learned more about flying by teaching people to fly than I
could ever have learned in any other venue in aviation.

This is most of the reason I'm pursuing the rating: I think it'll make me a
better pilot.

What you're seeing is the same thing they learned in medicine a long time
ago. The standard method for learning something new there is "see one, do
one, teach one". The last step drives the lesson home.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old September 14th 08, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

On 2008-09-14, Dudley Henriques wrote:
I think I learned more about flying by teaching people to fly than I
could ever have learned in any other venue in aviation.

This is most of the reason I'm pursuing the rating: I think it'll make me a
better pilot.

What you're seeing is the same thing they learned in medicine a long time
ago. The standard method for learning something new there is "see one, do
one, teach one". The last step drives the lesson home.

This last step is what in my talks with flight instructors I call the
"verification step".

The best way to determine that a pilot understands something you have
taught them is to have them teach it back to you in their own words
reflecting their own level of comprehension and retention.

This is the right approach to learning, and you are absolutely correct.
Teaching others to fly will without question make you a better pilot.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old September 14th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Frank Olson

John Godwin wrote:
Frank Olson wrote in
:

I like the "ruler across the knuckles" approach. If you don't
have a ruler handy, a kneeboard across the back of the head works
just as good.

You woulda made a great nun :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

They would have called me "Sister Francis". ;-)
Old September 15th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2008-09-12 13:57:33 -0700, "Ol Shy & Bashful" said:

Dudley
Can you honestly say you have never ever said "What the fu*& is going
on here?" or some variation of that theme?

Personally, I can honestly say it. I think I can instruct without being
abusive. People do not listen to abuse. They expect honest criticism,
but not abuse. It has nothing to do with "touchy feely" and everything
to do with being able to communicate. When abuse begins, instruction
and learning end. The client is now only interested in avoiding further
abuse.

Frankly, I don't think that a bully makes a good instructor. And sooner
or later you are going to get somebody that does not tolerate bullying
well... And they might be bigger than you. Somebody who pointlessly
curses at me is asking for a knuckle sandwich -- or a 2x4 across the
chops.

Bullying and abuse will make the student afraid to ask questions. This
leads to poor management and encourages a pilot to refuse to admit
mistakes. Abusive training creates dangerous, inflexible pilots who are
often incapable of dealing effectively with problems or even seeing
problems.

General Patton believed that foul language helped his men to remember
what he told them. All too often, though, what they remembered was the
foul language -- not the lesson that Patton was trying to teach.

Now, I know some fine instructors and examiners who use a lot of foul
language. I do not consider the foul language to be one of their
assets, however. They are good instructors in spite of their faults,
not because of them. A man who loses control and begins swearing is
telling me that he is on the verge of panic, or worse, -- not what I
would call a fine attribute in an instructor. It screams incompetence
and insecurity.

An instructor who suddenly explodes or who otherwise appears incapable
of controlling his temper is not just a bad instructor; to my mind he
should not be anywhere near an airplane. He is mentally or emotionally
unfit to be a pilot. I am not saying that you are such an instructor,
you understand. I simply say that this is the message I get from an
instructor who seems unable to rule himself.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old September 15th 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Sep 12, 1:57 pm, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:

I am a very up front person as you know after all these years. If I
think profanity is called for to make a point, I'll use it. If it
offends someone, that is to be confronted by us that are involved.

I try to explain this to my kids. People don't mind if their plumber
shows up in a dirty tee shirt and with a dirty mouth because he's a
plumber. Now imagine if you walked into your Dr's office and your Dr
had on a dirty tee shirt and had a dirty mouth. People look at how
people present themselves and decide how educated and competent they
are for the job. This is why airline pilots wear silly hats and boards
on their shoulders. When you act like a plumber with your students
they will question whether or not they really want a plumber showing
them how to fly.

-Robert

A comment here. Years ago there was a free lance instructor at our
airport. He would come out in a tank top, shorts, and flip-flops. Always
smoking a cigarette. I always thought how disgusting and unprofessional.
I would never want to fly with someone like him.

I have gone though private, commercial, instrument, BRFs, IPCs, and can
not remember anyone cussing at me, especially the "F" word. I would not

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
KSWI
Old September 16th 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 16:18:15 -0400, Dudley Henriques wrote:

but I'll tell you what I tell ALL instructors; if you're cussing at a
student or even yelling at a student, it's not the student who has the
problem :-))

If you are *really* trying to make an impression on a student who is
*really* unprepared, without focus and/or is generally a boneheaded
jackoff, then *maybe* swearing at them will work.

I work my butt of to be prepared in every possible way I can. If a
CFIhas a criticism, I am hoping I will hear it. Nothing makes gives me
more incentive than to fall a bit short of my own expectations.

If a CFI starts swearing at me, I'll fly the plane, land it and kick his
ass off.

No ****
Old September 16th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mick[_2_]

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in message
Ongoing discussion regarding different techniques. Do we do it with a
touchy feely softly spoken and oh my gosh thats just fine.....
Or do we do it with a harsh what in hell was that all about?
Who did you learn the most from and what was the drill?
Of course there is a different perspective from a civilian learning to
get over the fear of heights or unusual attitudes (as opposed to the
normal of right side up on the highway) and a military student pilot
who is going to be exposed to getting shot in the ass with a rocket
out in the field when they go operational.
What has been most effective for you? The teacher who spent time
explaining what you were trying to learn and how it works, or the one
who just demanded you do the syllabus? How much time did you have to
spend one on one? Or did you even get that opportunity?
Did you have to learn under pressure or did you have the luxury of a
year or two to get to step one? Was it even important to you to get to
step one or two? What was the motivation? Was it for personal
satisfaction? Was it because of familial pressure?
Lots of factors to consider that impact instructor effectiveness.and
student learning.
Should be interesting to discuss.
Ol S&B
CFII/RAM AIGI - Original CFI in 1967

The most effective way to teach anything is positive affirmation only. Every
thing else is second best.

Old September 16th 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usent.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Mick" @_#`~#@.^net wrote in :

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in message

8g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
[...]

Absolutely. As in "You are a perfect fjukkwit"

Bertie