When did the OLC rules change on submission?

Old May 6th 10, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default When did the OLC rules change on submission?

so if you are going to do a REALLY good flight, do it on a Tuesday

one local commented after my gold flight on Sunday: "Great flight but
you should've done it on a Saturday!" Monday morning at work (and
school for my crew) was not very fun.
Old May 6th 10, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

I think 50 points is very reasonable if not too low. This translates
to 6 legs of 10km or less. Anything less than that can not be
considered a cross country flight, just a local flight.

Ramy

Dan wrote:
On May 6, 4:33*am, Tim Taylor wrote:
Just went to post a flight on OLC and I am too late only two days
after the flight. *When did the rules change from three days to
Tuesday at midnight? *If you fly on Monday or Tuesday you must submit
by midnight on Tuesday or not get scored, *Very unreasonable change to
the system.

TT

It's been like that - not easy for us in North America - for a couple
of years - 18 Oct 2007, I believe. If you contact Doug Haluza, SSA-OLC
Admin, he can add the flight - you can look him up on the SSA member
locator.

I just cross-checked with the ssa webpage under sailplane racing -
olc, and it says: For help with submitting a claim contact us at
. They are very responsive.

My personal pet peeve is the minimum 50 point score for a flight that
counts - I think 25 is more reasonable, and leads more people away
from their home field... then they're competing with themselves to
increase the score. Darn hard to tell someone a 47 point flight just
doesn't count....

Dan

Old May 6th 10, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_3_]

The OLC gives you 1000 meters of "free altitude" each flight. I believe
the idea behind the 50 point rule is that you should not be able to get
points by doing a sledride from that altitude.

On the other hand, I don't see any harm from giving points for sledrides
-- top pilots like Ramy do not have to worry about competition from
pilots doing sledrides. I don't know why the OLC doesn't give points
for all flights, of whatever length.

Old May 7th 10, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Good point, but then, one can get ranked pretty high in the "all
flights" category by simply making a sled ride everyday ;-)

Ramy

Dan wrote:
On May 6, 4:33 am, Tim *wrote:
[...]

Dan- Hide quoted text -

Old May 10th 10, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

On May 6, 4:08*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:
On 5/6/2010 1:33 AM, Tim Taylor wrote:

Just went to post a flight on OLC and I am too late only two days
after the flight. *When did the rules change from three days to
Tuesday at midnight? *If you fly on Monday or Tuesday you must submit
by midnight on Tuesday or not get scored, *Very unreasonable change to
the system.

TT

Flights have to be submitted by the Tuesday following the flight. *I
believe that means that a Monday flight must be submitted the next day,
while a Tuesday flight can be submitted the following Tuesday.

The Tuesday rule has been controversial in the past. *It may make
perfect sense to pilots in Europe who will never land farther than 25 km
from a town. *It makes less sense in the western US, where we can have
multiple day retrieves.

So that's why mine didn't count. Flew on a Monday, had problems
uploading, was busy Tuesday, when I got a chance to upload again nul
points instead of 300+. Bah Humbug. It would be better to have 7
days after each flight.
Old May 10th 10, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MaD

On 6 Mai, 21:05, Bob wrote:
I believe the Tuesday rule exists so that the "Bundesliga" contest can
be scored. This is a competition amongst the German soaring clubs that
is hard fought and very competiteve! I think the fastest 3 hours of a
flight on Saturday and Sunday are scored for a club from their
airfield. Lots of beer rests on the weekly outcome!

Not only Germany, it runs in several countries and also
internationally:
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...C0&sc=&sp=2010

The fastest 2.5hours of the flight around the normal OLC turnpoints
with finish and start at same altitude.

Regards
Marcel
Old May 10th 10, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Not exactly. The OLC speed league score is around 3TP (not the normal
5TP). Finish altitude can not be lower than start altitude which means
that your score may get severly penalized if OLC can not find a 2.5
hours period with same finish altitude or higher. Not sure why thy did
not use the standard 1000m allowance.

Ramy

Old May 10th 10, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?st=olc-leagu....

The fastest 2.5hours of the flight around the normal OLC turnpoints
with finish and start at same altitude.

Regards
Marcel

Some people might consider "normal" is 3 TP and 5 TP is considered a
kind of option.

And to be clear it is not "the normal OLC turnpoints" like scored on
the OLC-Classic for that flight, its a separate set of turnpoints
chosen during that 2.5 speed-task window. OLC just does all that
automatically.

The finish_height=start_height not finish_height=start_height-1000m
might be because unlikes a declared FAI speed task different people
flying an OLC league task may fly different actual distances and
therefore a fixed allowable height loss has different relative impact
on scores. However I just wish it was the same 1,000m as an FAI speed
task for consistency,

Darryl

Old May 10th 10, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_3_]

Also, I believe the scoring period cannot be longer than 2.5 hours. A
longer scoring period might result in a higher average speed.

Old May 11th 10, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MaD

MaD wrote:
On 6 Mai, 21:05, Bob wrote:
[...]

No separate set of TP. The TP of the normal scoring are used, limited
to 3.

Anyway, here are the rules:
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...efix_jsp=rules

The issue has been discussed several time on german forums, many
people are not happy with several rules, such as the TP-issue and the
1000m thing and the halving of the index and the (now dropped)
restriction to your home airfield to score in the league and the
Tuesday night deadline and and and.
Outcome is almost always the same: the "inventor" is extremely
stubborn and if he thinks a rule is the way it should be he will never
change it no matter what arguments you come up with.

Bottom line: go flying as far and as fast as you can whenever you can
and submit the flights. AND HAVE FUN.

Regards
Marcel