Tasman Vario on Static

Old April 14th 11, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

Default Tasman Vario on Static

On 4/14/2011 12:53 PM, Tony wrote:
Excellent, thanks, thats what i thought but wasn't sure if there was
something funny with the Tasman. Obviously they assumed that anyone
flying with a nice audio vario would also have a TE probe when they
wrote their manual. I have proved them wrong!

btw this thread reminds me of this classic story http://www.jimforeman.com/Stories/varios.htm

After yanking the TE probe out of my glider i managed to fly twice as
many hours as any previous season along with two 300km+ days and get
my gold badge last year. I came within 4 miles of diamond goal.

Think of what you would have done if you had TE!

On Apr 14, 2:46 pm, "Paul wrote:
Hi Tony,

Yes. Any vario (including the Tasman V2000) will work fine when connected
to the TE Probe (for TE compensated static) or directly to the static port.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old April 14th 11, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kevin anderson

On Apr 14, 2:46 pm, "Paul *wrote:
Hi Tony,

Yes. *Any vario (including the Tasman V2000) will work fine when connected
to the TE Probe (for TE compensated static) or directly to the static port.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Tony,

A TE defiantly makes a difference in light weight glider, and the
Johnson probe did much better for me on my 1-26 than a store bought
probe did on the tail.
A couple of notes, I mounted it just behind the removable rear canopy
on my 1-26B, and I made it somewhat higher than Johnson did in the
article to get it out of the dirty air from the cockpit. Also,
mounted a permanent tube that it fits down into, so I could experiment
with different lengths of TE to make sure it was in clean air.

Kevin Anderson
192

Old April 15th 11, 09:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

On Apr 14, 2:46 pm, "Paul *wrote:
[...]

Kevin,

thanks for the data point. *I think I set the height on mine per the
dick johnson article which could explain why i never noticed a big
difference with it. I probably still have the tube around here
somewhere. *Perhaps if I'm feeling ambitious I'll try it again.

And yes, it was a Winter vario. *I never knew until now what a slow
vario it was. *Although with 4 psf wing loading you often don't need a
fast response vario I

Hi Tony,

Kicking it old school?

I learned with a static vario, and last year for grins, decided to
take my Winter (quick) alogrithmic vario off the TE probe and connect
to the static port. I left it that way all year. It is not difficult
to understand what is going on with a sailplane and the air it is
going through. Thermalling as a 15 year old was not difficult without
a compensated TE vario and still isn't. It was also interesting when
I turned off the audio on my electric one day. The tactile sense (seat
of the pants) in thermals became much more pronounced without the
constant audio tones, and felt much more in tune with what the air was
doing, not what my audio vario was telling me it was doing.
Interesting, of course modern quick TE/Netto varios make for faster
and more efficient cruising, but not necessarily a more emmersive,
soaring experience.

Mike

Tasman audio vario for sale JJ Sinclair Soaring 8 February 1st 14 03:01 PM
Tasman Vario for sale [email protected] Soaring 0 January 26th 10 07:21 PM
Std Cirrus part needed & Tasman Vario [email protected] Soaring 2 April 12th 09 01:27 AM
FS: Tasman V1000 Matthew Soaring 0 September 9th 05 12:16 AM
Tasman vario for sale Kevin Anderson Soaring 3 February 25th 05 10:37 PM