Sunlight readable Oudie - get yours upgraded!

Old March 8th 12, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

Default Sunlight readable Oudie - get yours upgraded!

Naviter has said the cost to update any Oudies purchased since January 1st
2012 would be done at just EU50 and older units would be EU200 for the
updated screen and any other updates...I will be able to help with getting
these updated if anyone is in the US and wants to have the update done
without having to send theirs back to the manufacturer they can just send
them to me here
Tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

"Richard" wrote in message
On Mar 2, 11:51 am, Sean Fidler wrote:
200 Euros + VAT + round trip shipping to Europe = $270 USD + $45 VAT + $65
Shipping = $380 USD and 4-6 weeks? Does this sound about right?

Innitially that seems rather expensive. The existing Oudie owner has
already spent $600 within the past couple years. We will have nearly $1000
total invested in the product after the upgrade is completed. $1000. Thats
alot for a PDA!

Is the upgrade screen only? Or are there other enhancements such
as a faster processor or an improved battery? How about an IGC approved
logger? Maybe a miniaturized espresso machine? :-)

I thank you for improving your product but the price of the upgrade is
approaching that of an iPad 2 (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/
shop_ipad/family/ipad)

The price of a new sunlight readable Oudie is $600 (plus tax & shipping).
Expensive when you consider that the hardware, minus the screen upgrade,
is likely very outdated in comparison with the latest devices available.
But the convenience of the Oudie package is nice and I am sure that it
will sell very well.

In my opinion this upgrade price is so high that it is not worth it
for current owners. It definitely is to me...

I would like to offer my Oudie for sale at $400 USD. Included are all
the mounts (window suction, etc) and chargers (wall and car). I used it
last season and enjoyed it. It works very well! You may need to tip your
sunglasses or shade it with your hands to see it in very bright sunlight
from time to time, but its no big deal. I honestly rarely had any problem
seeing the screen. My main wish is to be able to take advantage of the
rapid onslaught of very affordable modern hardware. The Oudie is solid,
works well and is a proven product. SeeYou is very good soaring software!
It is more than most will need for sure!

Contact me at smfidlerATgmailDOTcom if you are interested in a nice unit
at a nice discount.

Thx.

Sean

Sean,

The price is $250 and shipping from Craggy Aero. NO VAT an no long
lead time after we intially get the program going.

Thanks,

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

database 6933 (20120302) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6951 (20120308) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old March 9th 12, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

Out of curiosity, how does the brightness of the new Oudie compare to
a Clearnav?

Old March 9th 12, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

"Cats" wrote in message
Out of curiosity, how does the brightness of the new Oudie compare to
a Clearnav?

Hi,

Good question. It is my impression that "nits" measurements are a bit
approximate, so we won't know for certain until we have a new Oudie in hand.
However, the specifications for the new brighter Oudie say it is in the 900
nits range. The ClearNav specifications state that, "Nominal luminance is
700 Candelas/m^2 (nits), achieved with a single lamp that goes around 3
sides of the LCD. NK provides lamp overdrive capability up to 1100 nits for
severe ambient conditions such as flying into a hazy late afternoon sun."
It sounds to me like they will be quite similar. The ClearNav is great in
sunlight. So are the LX8000, LX8080 and LX9000. It sounds like the new
Oudie will be very similar.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old March 9th 12, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Out of completeness of the thread I owe you the battery life with "Automatic brightness" setting turned on.

We were able to measure 2 hours and 21 minutes with the Automatic Brightness feature turned on under office conditions (where the backlight is more or less at its minimum brightness setting).

So pretty much what you can get out of your "dark" Oudie with brightness turned to the maximum level.

Regards,
Andrej Kolar
--
glider pilots use
http://www.Naviter.com/

On Sunday, March 4, 2012 9:25:57 AM UTC+1, wrote:
what does the new screen do to the power draw

This is what we have measured at 12V and internal battery full:
Old Oudie: 250mA
New Oudie: 350mA

Add about 150-200 when the internal battery is charging.

We got exactly 24 hours out of an 8Ah 12V battery and we have a log to prove it.

The internal battery duration in comparison will be significantly reduced because of this change. With old display you could easily get 2-2.5 hours, with the new display at full brightness it will be more like 45 minutes to 1 hour. But. All Oudies that have ever been built have one feature that we never advertized. Until now. They have a light sensor and the abbility to automatically dim the screen if you are in a dark room (like the briefing hangar or a shade under the wing).

With the backlight fully dimmed the new display will last 2.5-3 hours but I must admit we have not tested this scenario properly. We'll do that and report back about how long the battery will last when fully dimmed.

Automatic brightness works great on an Oudie and can significantly reduce battery consumption. If you mount your Oudie so that the light sensor has clear view of the sky (which it does if you mount it on the canopy) we strongly recommend you to use the Automatic brightness feature.

We didn't advertize this feature just because there is no reason to dim the old screen ever but we were hopeful since the beginning that some day we will get a good screen for the Oudie. It added cost to each unit we sourced but now it wil prove priceless!

Cheers,
Andrej Kolar
--
glider pilots use
http://www.Naviter.com/

On Sunday, March 4, 2012 1:45:50 AM UTC+1, Dan wrote:
On Mar 2, 7:25*am, Andrej Kolar wrote:
Hey group!

We are very excited to announce that a Sunlight readable Oudie will
become available shortly (mid April) and maybe even more significantly
that we went into considerable trouble and will be be able to upgrade
your old Oudie too!

Full news announcement is hehttp://www.naviter.si/content/view/148/1/lang,en/

We will be happy to discuss it here on r.a.s. as well.

Cheers,
Andrej Kolar
--
glider pilots usehttp://www.Naviter.com/

Just curious - what does the new screen do to the power draw (battery
life)?

Old March 9th 12, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You misunderstood the point of the last posts Max. I'm glad to give you the headlines once mo

.. New Oudie consumes 350 mA @ 12V at full brightness. That is when it is very much sunlight readable. It doesn't waste any, it consumes 100 mA more to deliver sunlight readability.

.. At minimum brightness the internal battery will last approx 2.5 hours which is plenty to enter the task at briefing or in the shade under your wing.

That's all.

Anyway, why is it still the same lousy pixel resolution

Because we would never trade pixel resolution for brightness. Even the old Oudie is at least twice as useful as the HX inspite its inferior pixel resolution. What counts to us is what you can see under direct sunlight, not the GHz, MB and pixels in the specs.

why not transflective?

Because we have tested transflective screens and they did not perform better than the one that we have chosen in the end.

Regards,
Andrej Kolar
--
glider pilots use
http://www.Naviter.com/
Old March 10th 12, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Herbert kilian

On Mar 9, 3:11*pm, wrote:
[...]

Andrej,
Thanks for your measured response to a set of arrogantly worded
questions. I admire your patience with Max...