IGC Changes that would affect flyWithCE Flight Recorder (in a good way)

Old March 11th 12, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default IGC Changes that would affect flyWithCE Flight Recorder (in agood way)

On 3/10/2012 2:52 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
So... Is my CAI 302 insufficient to claim a 1,000 KM diploma? Do I need
to find my old Replogle barograph, get it calibrated, and find some
papers? If that be the case, I'll just post on OLC should I complete the
flight.

It is approved for all flights - always has been. Here's a list of
approvals...

http://www.fai.org/component/phocado...ight-recorders

email me)
Old March 11th 12, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc

On Mar 10, 2:52*pm, "Dan Marotta" wrote:
So... *Is my CAI 302 insufficient to claim a 1,000 KM diploma? *Do I need to
find my old Replogle barograph, get it calibrated, and find some papers? *If
that be the case, I'll just post on OLC should I complete the flight.

As Eric indicated, the CAI 302 is an IGC approved "flight recorder"
for all flight performances, no barograph needed. This thread is
talking about "position recorders" which handled differently by the
Sporting Code, as they are not approved flight recorders, and most do
not record pressure altitude, just GPS altitude. They can be used for
Silver and Gold badges only...

Marc
Old March 11th 12, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc

On Mar 10, 10:52*am, fredblair wrote:
My question had nothing to do with 'cheating'. *I am an Instructor and
I will be responsible for teaching members how to properly use these
new devices to obtain their badges. *My question was just a question
of fact: if the GPS altitude shown in the IGC file is going to be
accepted as the altitude of the flight, then why do we worry about
pressure altitude? *I thought the whole idea of approving the
'position recorders' was to eliminate the need for the more expensive
units that include a calibrated pressure sensor.

A couple of posts after this, makes a statement that we will still
need pressure altitude, since that is what is in Sporting Code 3.
Isn't the new Sporting Code going to be re-written to eliminate the
pressure altitude requirement.

The Sporting Code currently in effect through September 30, 2012 still
requires that pressure altitude evidence be provided along with GPS-
derived position data for Silver and Gold badges. If a badge flight
is to be flown using a local NAC approved "position recorder" which
does not record pressure altitude, then a barograph must also be
carried, and both the GPS flight data and the barograph trace must be
submitted for any badge legs. As of October 1, 2012, IGC flight data
from an approved position recorder containing GPS position data and
GPS altitude will be all that is required for these badge legs, no
more barograph. Again, due to concerns that during a normal summer
soaring day a gain of height measured by pressure altitude requires
climbing to a higher actual elevation, than the (more accurate) GPS
altitude measurement, an extra margin was added in an effort to
equalize things. So, as of October 1, a climb to 1100M (as measured
by GPS) will suffice for claiming Silver altitude using a GPS-only
position recorder, no need to worry about pressure altitude. 1000M
(as measured by pressure altitude) will continue to be acceptable when
using an approved flight recorder, a position recorder which records
pressure altitude, or a position record and barograph. I know this is
a bit confusing, but believe me, getting Silver and Gold badges will
be easier and cheaper from October on...

Marc
Old March 11th 12, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks, Guys. For reasons I don't need to discuss here, I was out of the
sport for nine years. A lot changed during that time and I'm still catching
up...

Old March 12th 12, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

I decided to see how much a FlyWithCE would cost in the UK, and the UK
supplier (according to the FlyWithCE website) doesn't list the new
DR300 on their website.