IGC Changes that would affect flyWithCE Flight Recorder (in a good way)

Old March 8th 12, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
urosp

Default IGC Changes that would affect flyWithCE Flight Recorder (in a good way)

My strong belief is that most pilots fly for fun and because of that
they do not need fully certified flight recorders (where the price is
at least 5 times higher). They would either like to improve their
flying, share flights with other pilots, attend on-line competitions
or simply record their flights.

But from the beginning I have received several suggestions that device
could be also certified as position recorder with NAC (National Air
Sport Control). Several people helped me and now flyWithCE Flight
Recorders are certified by NAC in Australia, Canada, Slovenia, United
Kingdom and United States. The device could be then used as position
recorder for Silver and Gold FAI badges.

On 2nd and 3rd of March there was and IGC Plenary Meeting in South
Africa where they decided that for Silver and Gold badges you do not
need extra altitude recorder and that GPS altitude will be accepted.
The difference with fully certified flight recorders is that pilot
should account 100 meter altitude margin for possible GPS altitude
error (for instance 1100 meter gain of height for Silver badge).

The new rule will be applied when updated Sporting Code will be
published.

If you wild like to know more about flyWithCE Flight Recorder and
flyWithCE Logbook software (which ships together with the device)
please visit http://www.flywithce.com.

Best regards

Uros Podlogar
www.flywithce.com
Old March 10th 12, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
fredblair

On Mar 8, 2:05*pm, urosp wrote:
[...]

Any idea when the Sporting Code will be printed, so that we can start,
officially using the Position Recorders?

Another question, in the above post, it says that you might want to
use an 1,100 meter gain for the Silver Badge to make sure for GPS
errors; how is the SSA Badge Dude going to know what the "real"
altitude is, if the only reported data will be the GPS altitude??

Fred Blair
Old March 10th 12, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Mar 9, 8:54*pm, fredblair wrote:
On Mar 8, 2:05*pm, urosp wrote:

[...]

You almost start to feel like glider pilots are a bunch of cheaters
that will stop at nothing to win or get a badge: they need an AH in
their panels so they can cloud fly, or they use secret apps on their I-
phones that they'll load once airborne.........now they're gonna
jigger their GPS trace to get extra altitude................jeez, I'm
glad I'm just a lowly blue circle OLC pilot!

Brad
Old March 10th 12, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc

On Mar 8, 2:05*pm, urosp wrote:

[...]

Updates to Sporting Code Section 3 are normally released on October
1. You must gain 1100 meters as measured by the GPS, rather than the
1000 meters that would be acceptable using pressure altitude. The
extra margin is intended to increase the likelihood that the
"geopotential" altitude gain (as measured by GPS) will exceed the
pressure altitude gain required by the Sporting Code...

Marc

Old March 10th 12, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Mar 8, 2:05*pm, urosp wrote:

[...]

The extra 100 meters allows for the GPS error compared to pressure
altitude. I do not think it has anything to do with trust. My GPS alt
is always reading higher than my pressure altitude when both are are
shown in XCSOAR.
Old March 10th 12, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc

On Mar 9, 9:15*pm, Brad wrote:
You almost start to feel like glider pilots are a bunch of cheaters
that will stop at nothing to win or get a badge: they need an AH in
their panels so they can cloud fly, or they use secret apps on their I-
phones that they'll load once airborne.........now they're gonna
jigger their GPS trace to get extra altitude................jeez, I'm
glad I'm just a lowly blue circle OLC pilot!

Well, how would you suggest we deal with the fact that a 1000 meter
gain measured by the GPS may physically place the glider either higher
or lower than a 1000 meter gain measured by a pressure altimeter on
the same day? We traditionally measured height and gain by using
pressure differentials mapped to an abstract model of the atmosphere,
allowing both methods of measurement requires some sort of
compromise...

Marc
Old March 10th 12, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc

On Mar 8, 2:05*pm, urosp wrote:

[...]

GPS altitude errors are generally small compared to pressure altimetry
errors, the extra 100 meters is actually intended to make up for the
latter. We measure altitude according to an abstract pressure/
altitude model based on a specific atmospheric temperature gradient
defined by the International Standard Atmosphere, in reality the real
world atmosphere *never* matches the model. On cold days pressure
altimeters typically read higher than the actual elevation, on hot
days they read lower, and the error generally increases with
increasing altitude...

Marc

Old March 10th 12, 06:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Mar 9, 9:40*pm, Marc wrote:
On Mar 9, 9:15*pm, Brad wrote:

You almost start to feel like glider pilots are a bunch of cheaters
that will stop at nothing to win or get a badge: they need an AH in
their panels so they can cloud fly, or they use secret apps on their I-
phones that they'll load once airborne.........now they're gonna
jigger their GPS trace to get extra altitude................jeez, I'm
glad I'm just a lowly blue circle OLC pilot!

Well, how would you suggest we deal with the fact that a 1000 meter
gain measured by the GPS may physically place the glider either higher
or lower than a 1000 meter gain measured by a pressure altimeter on
the same day? *We traditionally measured height and gain by using
pressure differentials mapped to an abstract model of the atmosphere,
allowing both methods of measurement requires some sort of
compromise...

Marc

Marc, It was a tongue in cheek comment...........sorry.........

Brad
Old March 10th 12, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc

On Mar 9, 10:02*pm, Brad wrote:
Well, how would you suggest we deal with the fact that a 1000 meter
gain measured by the GPS may physically place the glider either higher
or lower than a 1000 meter gain measured by a pressure altimeter on
the same day? *We traditionally measured height and gain by using
pressure differentials mapped to an abstract model of the atmosphere,
allowing both methods of measurement requires some sort of
compromise...

Marc

Marc, It was a tongue in cheek comment...........sorry.........

You, I, and others may know that, but not everyone is in on the joke.
You really want to risk starting another 200 message thread? ;^)

Marc

Old March 10th 12, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
fredblair

On Mar 8, 2:05*pm, urosp wrote:

[...]

My question had nothing to do with 'cheating'. I am an Instructor and
I will be responsible for teaching members how to properly use these
new devices to obtain their badges. My question was just a question
of fact: if the GPS altitude shown in the IGC file is going to be
accepted as the altitude of the flight, then why do we worry about
pressure altitude? I thought the whole idea of approving the
'position recorders' was to eliminate the need for the more expensive
units that include a calibrated pressure sensor.

A couple of posts after this, makes a statement that we will still
need pressure altitude, since that is what is in Sporting Code 3.
Isn't the new Sporting Code going to be re-written to eliminate the
pressure altitude requirement.

Fred