Soaring club billing software

Old November 3rd 14, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Caldwell (BC)

Default Soaring club billing software

Hi Pilots,

I recall there was a piece about this in SOARING mag several years ago but I couldn't find it in the archives. Does anyone have any info about this? Our club would like to update how we keep our records, bill our members, collect our money, accept credit cards, keep track of aircraft hours and communicate in general. Etc. etc.

Please email me if you can help. Thanks.

Bob rcaldwell at ponderosa-assoc dot com
Old November 4th 14, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Our club switched to quickbooks online and it has been great. As long as the club treasurer is quickbooks capable, the online version is great as the club board can all have be in the know on club finances. We also use quickbooks billing and bill pay and it has worked great. It reduces the risk of a computer crash loosing all the club records.
Old November 4th 14, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bobmckellar

On Monday, November 3, 2014 4:28:33 PM UTC-5, Bob Caldwell (BC) wrote:
Hi Pilots,

I recall there was a piece about this in SOARING mag several years ago but I couldn't find it in the archives. Does anyone have any info about this? Our club would like to update how we keep our records, bill our members, collect our money, accept credit cards, keep track of aircraft hours and communicate in general. Etc. etc.

Please email me if you can help. Thanks.

Bob rcaldwell at ponderosa-assoc dot com

QuickBooks is certainly capable of handling a club's finances. However, don't be under the impression that this will increase security. QuickBooks is notorious in the accounting community for poor audit trails and security in general. It is mostly suitable for handling your own money, not someone else's. I strongly support online banking access for someone in addition to the treasurer. Recent events in the soaring community show you what can happen.

Bob McKellar
Old November 5th 14, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 12:20:42 PM UTC-5, bobmckellar wrote:
[...]

Sorry to disagree. Quickbooks is by far the most popular small business accounting software available. If it is setup properly, it is both secure and robust. The big question is whether to use the on-line version or buy a copy and run it on a PC. The on-line version permits multiple users to view the data and doesn't require you to get your hands dirty with backups, etc. However, you will be paying a monthly service charge forever. Buying a copy to run on a PC is a one-time investment that can save you money in the long run (as long as you are not generating a payroll).
Old November 5th 14, 09:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

I am Treasurer of a large club and we use Sage 50. However we also have a bespoke front-end which deals with the flying side of thing and creates files which are posted to debit member's accounts - each member is setup as a customer.

The bespoke front-end is written in PHP and runs in a browser. Members can use a subset of it to view their account details and various flying details, and we also have access to those over the Internet.

We had a bespoke front-end to our previous accounts system, and I'm sure we would have one if we were using Quick Books rather than Sage.

BTW I know nothing about using the accounting systems. One of the joys of a large club is we have a couple of administrative staff who deal with running the accounts system. I do cash flow forecasts and so on.
Old November 5th 14, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 8:09:01 PM UTC-7, Mike Schumann wrote:
[...]

WRT to the installed version, QuickBooks 'features' expire if you fail to upgrade in three years, likely the ability to send invoices and statements as PDF attachments. At least they don't expire annually. Haven't used the online subscription version, but it should be useful in that setting and presumably includes version updates.

Frank Whiteley
Old November 5th 14, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have been Treasure of my club and many other clubs and organizations, as well as do this kind of stuff to make a living

Keep it simple - if it takes a PHD or higher math skills to figure out bookkeeping, it may look fancy, but will cause stress and not be easy when you change staff or Treasurers.

QuickBooks works really well, many people know it already so there are lots of people to ask questions to should you have an issue - and like all accounting/life issues - garbage in..garbage out. So it is more about a tight process, not so much about the software. You can use it as is out of the box and then add front end and report software as you find the need.

Bill Hanson
Old November 6th 14, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

On Wednesday, November 5, 2014 11:45:08 AM UTC-5, Frank Whiteley wrote:
[...]

The only feature that expires after 3 years, forcing an upgrade, is payroll.. As long as you are not generating a payroll, you can use your installed Quickbooks copy indefinitely.
Old November 6th 14, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Thursday, November 6, 2014 6:44:46 AM UTC-7, Mike Schumann wrote:
[...]

Yes you can continue to use any version. I've been using QuickBooks Pro since 1999 (currently 2013) but my experience is that the ability to generate and e-mail PDF invoices and statements expires every three years unless it's upgraded. I do not use the payroll service, but do mail and e-mail a lot of invoices and statements monthly. There are numerous popup offers and warnings in advance of expiration of this feature. I would think that e-mailing invoices and statements to club members would be a critical function in a soaring organization. Our treasurer e-mails statements monthly from his QB install.

YMMV,

Frank Whiteley

Old November 7th 14, 09:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

On Thursday, November 6, 2014 10:49:45 AM UTC-5, Frank Whiteley wrote:
[...]

There have been some changes in the last couple of years on how QBooks Pro handles e-mailing invoices and statements. In older versions, all of these e-mails went thru Intuit Servers. In the latest versions of QBooks, you can configure e-mails to be generated locally, using the e-mail client installed on your PC. If you do that, you should not be affected by the End of Support for a Quickbooks version.

However, if you take advantage of the QBooks ability to automatically charge invoices to your customer's credit cards, you will have to stay current and update your software every 3 years.

Computer based club accounting/scheduling/billing/pilot history. zulu Soaring 2 September 9th 11 11:36 PM
Flying Club Billing [email protected] Owning 5 January 14th 08 06:39 PM
Flying Club software? Medic Piloting 7 November 6th 06 04:28 PM
Club scheduling software? Dave Burton Owning 7 December 26th 04 07:32 PM
Club management software Marc Arsenault Soaring 2 November 20th 04 03:03 AM