Instructor Effectiveness

Old September 12th 08, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

Default Instructor Effectiveness

Ongoing discussion regarding different techniques. Do we do it with a
touchy feely softly spoken and oh my gosh thats just fine.....
Or do we do it with a harsh what in hell was that all about?
Who did you learn the most from and what was the drill?
Of course there is a different perspective from a civilian learning to
get over the fear of heights or unusual attitudes (as opposed to the
normal of right side up on the highway) and a military student pilot
who is going to be exposed to getting shot in the ass with a rocket
out in the field when they go operational.
What has been most effective for you? The teacher who spent time
explaining what you were trying to learn and how it works, or the one
who just demanded you do the syllabus? How much time did you have to
spend one on one? Or did you even get that opportunity?
Did you have to learn under pressure or did you have the luxury of a
year or two to get to step one? Was it even important to you to get to
step one or two? What was the motivation? Was it for personal
satisfaction? Was it because of familial pressure?
Lots of factors to consider that impact instructor effectiveness.and
student learning.
Should be interesting to discuss.
Ol S&B
CFII/RAM AIGI - Original CFI in 1967
Old September 12th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
[...]

I think you might be "leaning" a bit too far into the "touchy/feeley"
description to express what you consider not your way of doing things
there Rocky :-) If the hard approach including cussing in the cockpit
works for you, so be it, but you'll have a REAL hard time convincing me
that this is a good teaching technique.
I can assure you I'm far from being a Pansy in the cockpit, and I cal
state emphatically that cursing in the cockpit is NOT one of my teaching
techniques.
The proper use of praise and criticism are an integral part of ANY good
accepted flight instruction technique. I've been teaching this way all
through my career with no problems whatsoever. I also teach instructors
to teach this way with no problems.
We've all had one of these "cussing" CFI's at one time or another. If
that's your cup of tea, by all means do it that way. In my opinion it's
not necessary and not even advisable to teach this way, but that's just me.
You asked for an opinion, this is mine. Sorry; no disrespect intended,
but I'll tell you what I tell ALL instructors; if you're cussing at a
student or even yelling at a student, it's not the student who has the
problem :-))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old September 12th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Sep 12, 1:01*pm, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:
Ongoing discussion regarding different techniques. Do we do it with a
touchy feely softly spoken and oh my gosh thats just fine.....
Or do we do it with a harsh what in hell was that all about?

Hopefully you can find a middle ground. I realized early that the
first thing an instructor needs is respect. That starts from the
moment you approach the student. I almost only work with owners and
not part of an FBO. However, I always wear business attire, I never
teach in shorts, jeans, etc. That just sets the stage. You want to act
professionally. Don't curse when you can use more intelligent words,
give thoughtful reasons for what you are doing, don't just say 'that's
the way you have to do it'. It can be difficult to be professional
when you are too touchy-feely. However, most people are happy that the
old school gruff instructors are all retired. I think you have to find
a middle ground. Also, you want to tailor to the student you are
working with. I tend to lean towards being "all business" but I found
that you really need to first approach your student with "how are you
doing? how's your day going" small talk. You need to be somewhat
personal.

-Robert, CFII
Old September 12th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sep 12, 2:01*pm, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:
[...]

The type of student should affect the Instructor's teaching
style more than anything. To be nothing but gracious and gentle is to
ask for trouble from the arrogant know-it-all, and to be an abrasive,
critical and noisy instructor is only going to lose many of the
students. Maybe all of them.
I've had students who lacked confidence or had irrational
fears, so going easy on them at first and working them harder as they
got the hang of it worked for me. Some needed to be told frequently
that they were progressing OK. The student who already knew it all, or
who had no respect for authority, had to be worked very hard until he
got the idea that he really didn't know it all like he thought he did.
If he had anti-authority problems, he might need to be told to go
elsewhere and bust someone else's rules and airplanes.

Dan
Old September 12th 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

On Sep 12, 3:28*pm, wrote:
[...]

* * * * *Dan- Hide quoted text -

Dan
Couldn't say it better!
Cheers
Ol S&B
Old September 12th 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

On Sep 12, 3:18*pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:
Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:

[...]

Dudley Henriques- Hide quoted text -

Dudley
Can you honestly say you have never ever said "What the fu*& is going
on here?" or some variation of that theme?
Of course if it is in every statement it degrades what is being said.
I recall an instructor that could not say anything without profanity
and that colored my approach and awareness of how much it detracts
from effective instruction. OTOH, saying "Inshallah" on final is not
always workable either? g
I am a very up front person as you know after all these years. If I
think profanity is called for to make a point, I'll use it. If it
offends someone, that is to be confronted by us that are involved.
Even then, after the fact we can discuss it but in the heat of the
moment we may not have time to discuss the relative merits of profane
outbursts like WTF are you doing? Or watch your f**8 altitude, or
whatever.
I love to use english at its ultimate but often find in the heat of
the moment, profanity is much more effective and timely.
You know how us Marines are.....
Cheers
Rocky
Old September 12th 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:

[...]

Yes, I can honestly and truthfully say that. In fact, I'm so much
against this procedure that I made it a point to address it with every
instructor I taught personally and at every seminar I ever gave that
involved instructors.

The military used the "corporal" teaching approach during WW2 with some
success but their program was time management based with results
demanded within a specific time frame or failure indicated. It is
noteworthy that the washout rate using this method was extremely high
and anticipated to be extremely high.

I can think of no authoritative source in the entire industry that even
comes close to recommending your suggested method as a viable teaching
tool. If I am mistaken in this, please advise me and I will stand corrected.

I'm not trying to be overly critical here Rocky. As another instructor
has said, you use whatever works for you with a specific student. I have
no problem with this premise at all. I also have never once, and I
repeat again, never once, EVER had a student who I felt would be more
responsive to a teaching method that including cussing at a student or
teaching a student in any other way but a calm, precise, and totally
professional manner.

Now all this having been said, I will tell you that I have been by
MYSELF in an airplane several times during my career when I have shouted
to myself, "Jesus H Christ Almightly.....WHAT the **** was THAT!!! :-)

--
Dudley Henriques
Old September 12th 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
f-newguy

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in message
Ongoing discussion regarding different techniques. Do we do it with a
touchy feely softly spoken and oh my gosh thats just fine.....
Or do we do it with a harsh what in hell was that all about?

I've had both. I found the "what in hell was that all about?" approach more
effective for me.

Instructors that are too nice may leave the student unaware of how vital it
is to perform with precision as a pilot. This is serious business. Your
life depends upon it.

Old September 12th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

f-newguy wrote:
"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in message
Ongoing discussion regarding different techniques. Do we do it with a
touchy feely softly spoken and oh my gosh thats just fine.....
Or do we do it with a harsh what in hell was that all about?

I've had both. I found the "what in hell was that all about?" approach more
effective for me.

Instructors that are too nice may leave the student unaware of how vital it
is to perform with precision as a pilot. This is serious business. Your
life depends upon it.

It's important to note that not cursing at a student is not to be
misconstrued into meaning that an instructor is being "too nice".
The way this issue has been presented by the original poster would infer
that through the use of his description countering his argument in favor
of his personal method. Instructors NOT cursing at students are
absolutely NOT being "too nice" by NOT cursing at students! This premise
if assumed is false.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old September 13th 08, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Sep 12, 1:57*pm, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:

I am a very up front person as you know after all these years. If I
think profanity is called for to make a point, I'll use it. If it
offends someone, that is to be confronted by us that are involved.

I try to explain this to my kids. People don't mind if their plumber
shows up in a dirty tee shirt and with a dirty mouth because he's a
plumber. Now imagine if you walked into your Dr's office and your Dr
had on a dirty tee shirt and had a dirty mouth. People look at how
people present themselves and decide how educated and competent they
are for the job. This is why airline pilots wear silly hats and boards
on their shoulders. When you act like a plumber with your students
they will question whether or not they really want a plumber showing
them how to fly.

-Robert