The most probable origin of NASA moon rocks

Old October 19th 03, 07:13 PM
B2431

From: "John Keeney"
Date: 10/19/2003 1:49 AM Central Daylight Time

"Pete" wrote in message
. ..

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
"Bill Silvey" wrote:

"Bob McKellar" wrote in message

B2431 wrote:

From: Alan Minyard a

NASA even built a "zero-G" test rig to try out the landers

controls.
It had a lift engine that could be throttled to exactly balance out
the weight of the rig, so the thrusted operated at "zero-G"

Al Minyard

I think they had more than one. I recall a pilot punching out of one
just before it crashed.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Fella name of Armstrong.

Probably ruined his career, busting up the gear like that.

Wonder whatever happened to him........

Bob McKellar

Went on to do some flight testing for equipment with some alphabet-soup
organization down on the sleepy part of Florida's east coast, IIRC.

Some
government branch or something.

It's rumored after that one incident that only two other guys in the

whole
place would fly with him.

Sad, really.

;-)

Sounds familiar...isn't he the guy who got a little off course
and landed his craft on some little used spot something like a
quarter of a million miles from home?...I hear that he got it
back home ok though, lucky for him.

I think he even got out to ask for directions, but couldn't find anyone.

I guess they just kind of aimed in the general direction of home, and

found
it.

Yea, but last I heard he was teaching school some place in Ohio...

Now you know the real reason NASA has female astronauts; they now have someone
to send out to ask for directions.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired
Old October 19th 03, 09:04 PM
Peter H. Granzeau

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 15:18:11 -0400, "Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj"
wrote:

:P.S. First American woman in space was what - 20 years after
:Tereshkova?

Yes, the difference being that we didn't send one until she had an
actual purpose in being there. 'Parachute packer in a can' as a
'first' is hardly something to be beating your chest about.

Sour grapes?
I believe that in addition to the obvioous political political
purpose, they even manufactured a set of 'opportunity knocks'
scientific, medical, purposes for launching her.

As a slight parallel, What was the purpose of Senator John
Glenns' 1998, STS-95 return trip into space?

Senate appropriations. What else?
Old October 20th 03, 06:10 AM
Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj

You keep changing the subject.

Fred J. McCall wrote:

"Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj" wrote:

:Fred J. McCall wrote:
: "Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj" wrote:
:
: :Fred J. McCall wrote:
: :
: : (D.K.) wrote:
: :
: : :P.S. First American woman in space was what - 20 years after
: : :Tereshkova?
: :
: : Yes, the difference being that we didn't send one until she had an
: : actual purpose in being there. 'Parachute packer in a can' as a
: : 'first' is hardly something to be beating your chest about.
: :
: :Sour grapes?
:
: Not hardly.
:
: :I believe that in addition to the obvioous political political
: urpose, they even manufactured a set of 'opportunity knocks'
: :scientific, medical, purposes for launching her.
:
: As I understood it, she was sealed in with instructions not to touch
: anything.
:
:So how does that contradict, or affect the validity of anything
:which I said, even in the scientific field? After all did orbiting
:Laika by the russians, or the monkeys and apes by the USA not provide
:valuable biometric data?

Not especially, no, as I understand it. We sent up monkeys first
because we were afraid something would go wrong with the vehicle and
kill the occupant, and monkeys are generally more expendable than
fighter pilots.

I suspect the Soviet reason for sending a dog was similar.

What ever the reasons for the launch (flight). I find it surprising
that you dismiss the value of any data, collected from the 'experiments'
which I have mentioned. I would like to read what you consider to have
been the 'true' purposes of these launches, and what alternative
experiments you would have sent up as the payloads of these launches.

: :As a slight parallel, What was the purpose of Senator John
: :Glenns' 1998, STS-95 return trip into space?
:
: Funding. He's a Senator and can help get it raised.
:
: [And no, we shouldn't have sent him, either. But you don't see us
: touting it as a great 'victory'.
:
:I think that AARP is

Perhaps. No doubt they're enamoured of "Pukin' Jake" Garn, too.
Both of those flights, however, were pure fund raisers and should
never have happened.

[Jake Garn *was* a study subject, by the way. They were studying
space sickness. He was a 'good' subject.]

What do you see as the actual purposes of these launches and payloads.
What more useful alternatives would you propose for the expenditure
of the resources?

: However, in your case, I suppose you have to grab what little glory
: you can find wherever you can find it.]
:
:Indeed! I will revel and bask in any glory that I can garner
:And I won't in any small and mean spirited way deny the fame, glory
:and credit due to the space pioneers of any beings in this universe.

There are heros and then there are heros. It's not particularly
heroic if you don't understand what's going on when it happens to you.

When you ask most 'heros' about what they did, the usual answer is
roughly, "**** happened and I did what I had to do. Heroic? I almost
fainted when it was all over!"

'Heroes' is your term introduced into the discussion so that you can
have aand straw 'man' target to demolish.
I have simply refered to them as pioneers.
Not heroes according to your derscription, but brave individuals
who knowing the dangers to them nevertheless chose to face those
risks to do what they did. They didn't act spontaneously because
'**** happened' rather they acted in a calculated risk taking mode.
--
Rostyk

Old October 20th 03, 03:42 PM
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

In article ,
Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj wrote:

As a slight parallel, What was the purpose of Senator John
Glenns' 1998, STS-95 return trip into space?

One of the purposes of the mission was to fly the Spartan-201
solar observatory (must get around to looking at that data again
sometime..). The purpose of having glenn on board was more obscure,
though I do recall comments to the effect that it was intended to
test the endurance of the rest of the crew.

--
Andy Breen ~ Interplanetary Scintillation Research Group
http://users.aber.ac.uk/azb/
Old October 20th 03, 03:53 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj" wrote in message

As a slight parallel, What was the purpose of Senator John
Glenns' 1998, STS-95 return trip into space?

It was a political payoff for subverting a Senate investigation.

Old October 23rd 03, 10:56 PM
Gordon

Times change....

"American components, Russian components, is all made in Taiwan"

from one of those 'comet blasts planet earth' movies...

"Raawwshin ****, Amuriccan ****, iiitz awl ****!"