Sundance soaring (Moriarty, NM) late February

Old January 25th 04, 03:30 PM
Jim Harper

Default Sundance soaring (Moriarty, NM) late February

Hi, all.

I find myself with a week in late February, and a lot quite near to
Santa Fe, NM (and she who fills my life with delight loves the art
operations in Santa Fe as well). The casual observer would note that a
trip to Santa Fe is warranted. Alas, the lot is undeveloped and
requires only a brief visit...and hours in the art establishments will
eventually leave me somewhat less than stimulated.

Turns out that Moriarty is not far from my lot...nor from Santa
Fe...and since I am taking my truck, the concept of putting my HP-16
in the box and dragging it behind on the trip may well be (cue the
beer commercial here) brilliant, affording me a few days of
interesting activity while SWFMLWD does those arcane activities which
interest her.

So I come to this august group, bucket hat in hand, to seek
opinions...New Mexico in late winter...worth the effort? Don't bother?

Sundance soaring? Comments?

Is there a better place within reasonable distance (that is without
presupposing any negatives toward Sundance...called them and they seem
like great folks)? I know Hobbs would represent a trek to the Mother
Ship of the SSA, but it wouldn't be as convenient as Moriarty for the
Other Activities (caps intended).

I humbly await the group opinion.

Jim
Old January 25th 04, 04:19 PM
Bill Daniels

"Jim Harper" wrote in message
om...
[...]

The Rick Kohler's Sundance operation never shuts down for the winter. There
is wave on a frequent basis, even thermals in mid winter. Well worth
bringing your glider.

Bill Daniels

Old January 25th 04, 04:39 PM
Flyhighdave

Moriarty, NM is right up at the top of the list for "Best soaring site in the
U.S."
Sundance Aviation is a year round, 7 day a week operation and Rick Kohler & his
staff provide a top notch service.
DO NOT leave your glider behind!
David
Old January 25th 04, 04:49 PM
Wayne Paul

Jim,

It sounds like you should bring you beautiful
(http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP...rst_Flight.htm) HP-16
to New Mexico!

Wayne

Old January 25th 04, 05:30 PM
Stewart Kissel

Rick is a good guy and soaring conditions should be
good by February standards at Moriarity. Where are
you coming from? The group might be able to suggest
some other soaring establishments to check out along
the route.

Old January 25th 04, 11:14 PM
Jim Harper

Stewart Kissel wrote in message ...
Rick is a good guy and soaring conditions should be
good by February standards at Moriarity. Where are
you coming from? The group might be able to suggest
some other soaring establishments to check out along
the route.

Nice idea, Stewart...altho I suspect that the patience of SWBDTML may
well be tested by such a plan.

I shall be driving from LaGrange, GA by way of I-40 (after some
machinations...). The southern route through Texas could lead to some
other possibilities, but would also add considerable distance.

Thanks all for the commentary, and to the two who included personal
emails to me...I appreciate it. Barring surprises (or the delivery of
an RV-8A which I ordered and expected on that week previously (but
which had some problems which won't be resolved)) I am all over
Sundance.

Jim