Radio Call Entering Holding

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 2nd 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Default Radio Call Entering Holding

The OP cited dates 2001 and 2005 if I recall correctly. The
reference was to an old FAA training handbook and a newer
AIM.

Reporting is not required unless the report is asked for by
ATC, otherwise just listen.

e-CFR Data is current as of September 28, 2007

Title 14: Aeronautics and Space
PART 91-GENERAL OPERATING AND FLIGHT RULES
Subpart B-Flight Rules
Instrument Flight Rules

Browse Previous | Browse Next

§ 91.183 IFR communications.
Unless otherwise authorized by ATC, the pilot in command of
each aircraft operated under IFR in controlled airspace must
ensure that a continuous watch is maintained on the
appropriate frequency and must report the following as soon
as possible-

(a) The time and altitude of passing each designated
reporting point, or the reporting points specified by ATC,
except that while the aircraft is under radar control, only
the passing of those reporting points specifically requested
by ATC need be reported;

(b) Any unforecast weather conditions encountered; and

(c) Any other information relating to the safety of flight.

[Doc. No. 18334, 54 FR 34294, Aug. 18, 1989, as amended by
Amdt. 91-296, 72 FR 31679, June 7, 2007]

"Dennis Johnson" wrote in message
. ..
| With help from the people on this newsgroup, I'm happy to
announce that I
| passed my IPC!
|
| One thing that came up on my flight was that I didn't
announce that I was
| entering holding and my altitude.
|
| The 2006 AIM 5-3-3 a. 1. (f) requires reporting to ATC,
whether in radar
| contact or not, "The time and altitude...upon reaching a
holding fix..."

| However, the FAA's "Instrument Flying Handbook"
FAA-H-8083-15, dated 2001,
| says on page10-8 that a report entering holding is not
required if in radar
| contact.
|
| Obviously, they contradict each other. I told the
instructor pilot that I
| had chosen to go with the "Instrument Flying Handbook"
version and not make
| a report to ATC because it seemed to me that if I was in
radar contact, the
| controller would see it happening.
|
| So, what do you think? Which FAA book is wrong? Why does
the controller

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message
| On 10/02/07 08:29, Jim Macklin wrote:
| The AIM states that when there is a variance between the
AIM
| and the FAR, follow the current FAR.
|
| Is there a variance in this case?
|

| "Bob Gardner" wrote in message
| . ..
| |I would think that a pilot on a checkride or IPC would
be
| well advised to
| | follow provisions of the AIM.
| |
| | Bob Gardner
| |
| | "Roy Smith" wrote in message
| | In article
| ,
| | "Dennis Johnson" wrote:
| |
| | So, what do you think? Which FAA book is wrong?
Why
| does the controller
| | need reminding that I'm entering holding when I'm
in
| radar contact?
| |
| | The controller told you to hold, and he's watching
you
| hold on radar. He
| | doesn't need you to report entering the hold. If
you
| follow much of what
| | the AIM tells you to do, you'll be assured of being
up
| to the minute on
| | the
| | latest 1950's procedures.
| |

| --
| Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Airplane, USUA Ultralight
Pilot
| Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
| Sacramento, CA

Saturn IB S-IB Stage Entering Point Barrow 6864857.jpg [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 April 11th 07 02:44 AM
NASA Apollo 12 Astronauts Wave Upon Entering the Mobile Quarantine Facility 6903665.jpg [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 April 10th 07 04:52 PM
Entering GPS waypoints Doug Piloting 13 August 12th 05 07:01 PM
Entering info into garmin Pilot3 The Ponderosa Owning 1 January 16th 05 12:32 AM
Holding at CHS Stuart King Instrument Flight Rules 3 November 10th 03 07:52 PM