IFR GPS certification

Old February 24th 05, 04:45 PM
nobody

Default IFR GPS certification

I guess I've been living under a rock. I wanted to update the VFR GPS in
the panel to an IFR model. I started getting quotes on recon GNC 300XLs.
The units themselves were about 2,500-3,000. I was shocked to find out that
I had to install an annunciator, a new indicator and approx 30 hrs labor
bringing the total cost to around 8,000. I checked several shops and got
the same story. Is it typical to spend 25% of the value of the aircraft on
just the IFR GPS? If I installed a 530, the receiver and install would
probably cost close to 80% of the value of the aircraft.

Eddie

Old February 24th 05, 05:05 PM
Dave Butler

nobody wrote:
I guess I've been living under a rock. I wanted to update the VFR GPS in
the panel to an IFR model. I started getting quotes on recon GNC 300XLs.
The units themselves were about 2,500-3,000. I was shocked to find out that
I had to install an annunciator, a new indicator and approx 30 hrs labor
bringing the total cost to around 8,000. I checked several shops and got
the same story. Is it typical to spend 25% of the value of the aircraft on
just the IFR GPS? If I installed a 530, the receiver and install would
probably cost close to 80% of the value of the aircraft.

Your absolute expense dollars sound about right. The percentage of the value of
the aircraft will, of course, depend on the value of the aircraft.

IMO, and as other have also pointed out here, the additional capability over and
above a non-certified moving map is not that great, either, unless you
frequently fly to a runway that's served only by a GPS approach. Most of the
benefit of certified GPS can be had without the certification.
Old February 24th 05, 06:26 PM
Marco Leon

Your numbers seem right. IMHO, the Garmin 430 is the better value. At an
approximately $9,300 install price, you get an ILS and save space on the
annunciators (they are included within the unit itself). You will also see a
better addition to the aircraft's resale value compared to a GNC300XL but
don't expect a $9,300 increase. Oh, and you will be able to get a terrain
database for an extra $500 available in a few months.

All that being said, it will only make fiscal sense if you plan on keeping
the plane a while.

Marco Leon
N36616

om...

Old February 25th 05, 05:14 AM
nobody

"...the additional capability over and above a non-certified moving map is
not that great..."

That's just it. Without certification, you can't file /G, and you can't use
GPS as the primary navigation instrument. In my case, I can't legally use
the speed/dist functions for the DME portion of the approach either. I'm in
the same place with a much cheaper (portable) VFR GPS.

Ed

Old February 25th 05, 12:32 PM
Thomas Borchert

Nobody,

If I installed a 530, the receiver and install would
probably cost close to 80% of the value of the aircraft.

If you did that, I don't think you'd need an external annunciator.
There are some GPS units that don't. Aviation Consumer has done several
stories on when an upgrade makes financial sense and what kind of
upgrade does. Their archive (for a fee/subscription) is online at
www.aviationconsumer.com

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old March 1st 05, 09:15 PM
Robert M. Gary

That's why people buy Garmin 430s. They are the only GPS units to my
knowledge that have everything built it. You can find them pretty
inexpensive on ebay from those upgrading to 480s or 530s. Installation
will knock your socks off in any case.
-Robert

Old March 2nd 05, 05:11 AM
abripl

What about the external CDI?

Old March 2nd 05, 03:40 PM
Marco Leon

The GNS430 is compatible with many CDI's on the market. There is a
requirement around the annunciator for the CDI itself where the user needs
to know if it is tracking the GPS or the VLOC (NAV). The 430 has an
indication on its display which may satisfy that requirement, I'm not sure.
The Garmin GI-106 CDI has it on the CDI face as well but the unit will run
you $1,100+. There is also an electronic CDI on the default NAV screen but
that of course has no glideslope.

Marco Leon

"abripl" wrote in message
oups.com...
What about the external CDI?

Old March 2nd 05, 03:40 PM
Marco Leon

The GNS430 is compatible with many CDI's on the market. There is a
requirement around the annunciator for the CDI itself where the user needs
to know if it is tracking the GPS or the VLOC (NAV). The 430 has an
indication on its display which may satisfy that requirement, I'm not sure.
The Garmin GI-106 CDI has it on the CDI face as well but the unit will run
you $1,100+. There is also an electronic CDI on the default NAV screen but
that of course has no glideslope.

Marco Leon

"abripl" wrote in message
oups.com...
What about the external CDI?

Old March 2nd 05, 03:40 PM
Marco Leon

The GNS430 is compatible with many CDI's on the market. There is a
requirement around the annunciator for the CDI itself where the user needs
to know if it is tracking the GPS or the VLOC (NAV). The 430 has an
indication on its display which may satisfy that requirement, I'm not sure.
The Garmin GI-106 CDI has it on the CDI face as well but the unit will run
you $1,100+. There is also an electronic CDI on the default NAV screen but
that of course has no glideslope.

Marco Leon

"abripl" wrote in message
oups.com...