Model Gliders and Cherokee II's

Old March 30th 09, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Condon[_2_]

Default Model Gliders and Cherokee II's

Did everyone see the article in Soaring this month about model sailplanes?
Very interesting. I learned about the scale model movement a few years ago
when I was researching Cherokee II stuff. Tom Martin had just come out
with his Cherokee II kit at that time. I found that there were a lot of
guys who were now modelers who had built and flown Cherokee II's back in
the 60's and 70's. I got a lot of information from them. In fact, I
probably learned more about Cherokee II's from the model guys than from
the full scale people!

Regardless, many more Cherokee II models have been built. I got an email
from Al Clark last year, letting me know that his had been completed, and
that he had modeled it after mine! I had nearly forgotten that I had sent
him many pictures of my glider, including the cockpit. He liked mine as it
has an almost stock canopy. Anyway, I did a search and couldnt believe
that I apparently did not share this with RAS. So here are the pictures.
Note that he got every detail on the cockpit, and even included the wing
tape on the wing root fairings!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lakralc/CherokeeIIModel#

-Tony Condon
Cherokee II N373Y
Old March 30th 09, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

Tony,

That's a nice model!

Now, do you wear a beige hat and a red shirt when flying? Do you have
brown eyes and a moustache? Does your ship have a red yaw string?

Did the modeler build a trailer to match your trailer?

Has he flown it yet? Any reports on the flying qualities?

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
Old March 30th 09, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Condon[_2_]

no, the model pilot is not a model of me. im free of facial hair, although
i do often wear a tan bucket hat when flying.

My cherokee does have a red yaw string, although now that im replacing the
canopy glass it may have gotten thrown out.

haha now there's an idea. RC car pulls a model trailer up to the minature
airport, glider assembled, critical assembly and positive control checks
complete, hook up to the model airplane, and away they go!

he hasn't flown it yet, to my knowledge. he finished it last winter and
planned to fly it this spring. I'll report back once I learn something.
Im interested to hear how the model handles compared to the real thing.

Old March 30th 09, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

On Mar 30, 8:45*am, Tony Condon
wrote:
[...]

Now if he models your trailer, he should also model the Alero down to
the fine datails of the Jet Fuel only gas cap sticker and the ratchet
strap holding on your hitch :-)

Pete

Cherokee out and about [email protected] Soaring 5 May 23rd 08 07:12 AM
Cherokee 6 Steven Barnes Owning 18 February 5th 08 02:03 AM
Recent AD - DG Flugzeugbau GmbH Model DG-500MB Gliders Craig[_2_] Soaring 1 January 3rd 08 04:18 PM
cherokee Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 July 15th 07 12:38 PM
Looking for a Cherokee zip777 Aviation Marketplace 0 November 6th 03 06:47 PM