Steen Skybolt pre-purchase, northern California

Old August 19th 03, 01:17 PM
Ed Wischmeyer

Default Steen Skybolt pre-purchase, northern California

I'm considering the purchase of a share in a Steen Skybolt (homebuilt
biplane). I'd never seen one before and my mechanical experience
consists of peeking under the cowl of rental aircraft (this would be
my first airplane). Needless to say, I need somebody familiar with the
type to have a good look at it. If anybody here is willing to do that,
or know anybody who might be, please drop me a note. The airplane is
based at RHV (San Jose, CA).

Look up EAA Chapter 62 on the web -- they're based at RHV. One of them
should know an AP who built a Skybolt at RHV. If Robin is your
instructor, he'd know the builder, as Robin did the first flight on it.

Ed Wischmeyer
former President, EAA Chapter 62
Old August 19th 03, 03:58 PM
Ron French

Borislav Deianov wrote in message ...
Hi,

I'm considering the purchase of a share in a Steen Skybolt (homebuilt
biplane). I'd never seen one before and my mechanical experience
consists of peeking under the cowl of rental aircraft (this would be
my first airplane). Needless to say, I need somebody familiar with the
type to have a good look at it. If anybody here is willing to do that,
or know anybody who might be, please drop me a note. The airplane is
based at RHV (San Jose, CA).

Thanks,
Boris

You really should have a pre-purchase inspection by a competent A&P.
Vern Miller and Brian Stout are both located at RHV. I believe Brian
Stout at Flying S Aviation owns a Skybolt himself. Either would do a
good job for you.

Ron French
Navion 4969K
RHV
Old August 22nd 03, 08:21 AM
Borislav Deianov

In rec.aviation.homebuilt Gregg Germain wrote:
In rec.aviation.homebuilt Borislav Deianov wrote:

: I'm considering the purchase of a share in a Steen Skybolt (homebuilt

I don't suppose you are looking at the Skybolt built an downed by
Erik Schilling, are you?

No. I'm told there are two Skybolts at the field but I'm not yet
positive who owns the other one.

Boris
Old August 22nd 03, 08:23 AM
Borislav Deianov

In rec.aviation.homebuilt Ed Wischmeyer wrote:

Look up EAA Chapter 62 on the web -- they're based at RHV. One of them
should know an AP who built a Skybolt at RHV. If Robin is your
instructor, he'd know the builder, as Robin did the first flight on it.

Yes, Robin is the instructor I was talking about. I'll asking him, and
I'll check out the EAA chapter. Thanks a lot for the tip!

Boris
Old August 22nd 03, 08:25 AM
Borislav Deianov

In rec.aviation.homebuilt Ron French wrote:

You really should have a pre-purchase inspection by a competent A&P.
Vern Miller and Brian Stout are both located at RHV. I believe Brian
Stout at Flying S Aviation owns a Skybolt himself. Either would do a
good job for you.

Thanks a lot, I'll try to get in touch with them.

Boris
Old August 31st 03, 08:21 PM
O-ring Seals

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 05:08:48 +0000 (UTC), Borislav Deianov
wrote:

Hi,

I'm considering the purchase of a share in a Steen Skybolt (homebuilt
biplane). I'd never seen one before and my mechanical experience
consists of peeking under the cowl of rental aircraft (this would be
my first airplane). Needless to say, I need somebody familiar with the
type to have a good look at it. If anybody here is willing to do that,
or know anybody who might be, please drop me a note. The airplane is
based at RHV (San Jose, CA).

Thanks,
Boris

Borris,

You might want to check with our estemmed Highflyer. He said that he
worked with Lamar Steen during the development of the prototype.

O-ring