Kestrel skid mod?

Old January 28th 14, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Dean

Default Kestrel skid mod?

What I am trying to do is find out is if a sacrificial skid, sacrificial
plate or nose wheel can be safely added to the Slingsby kestrel. I fly
out
of a strip field and I am looking flight winterising a Kestrel.

But in the recent weather the field has become very mushy and
subsequently
the gliders seem to be ploughing furrows with the obvious results
occasionally the wheel catches and gliders nose over as they plough on
both
take off and landing. This ok on the K13’s, K8’s K6’s and other
older wood traditional gliders because they have substantial front skids.

But something like the Kestrel could end up being badly damaged on the
underside of the cockpit or by nosing over if it goes really wrong.
Especially with the nasty resultant slap down of the tail.

What I would like to do is design a double plywood removable skid and
wheel
that could be put on it in the winter and removed during the summer when
the ground is more ideal.

Does anyone know if anyone ever looked at this for the kestrel or did
anything similar. The Grob 103's have a front wheel. By designing a wheel
box and something around a front wheel mod I could use a kestrel at these
the times minimising the risk.

Glide ratio would be affected but at least the A/C would not remain in
the
trailer all winter.

ideas on a postcard too... thanks

Seagull 2 old wooden days call sign
Seagull 2 old wooden days call sign

2-33 skid plate Dan Reagan Soaring 3 February 16th 12 02:38 PM
LS 4 tail skid JC Soaring 10 September 26th 11 12:54 PM
tail skid [email protected] Soaring 0 March 25th 05 11:55 PM
tail skid [email protected] Soaring 2 March 25th 05 12:57 PM
Missile skid turns? Jim Doyle Military Aviation 9 March 16th 04 02:52 PM