PW wing template anyone?

Old February 15th 21, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Zivley[_3_]

Default PW wing template anyone?

Greetings,

A bit of a long shot, but I am planning on rebuilding the somewhat crude, and now failing, wing wheel for a PW-5. If anyone just happened to have a wing profile template in electronic format for the area approximately at the outboard end of the aileron location, please let me know. Ok, it's a lot of a long shot....

Thanks,

Mark
Old February 15th 21, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

You can make a profile template very quickly with a piece of cardboard,
a fat marker, and a pair of scissors.

Dan
5J

Old February 15th 21, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Johnson

You can make a profile template very quickly with a piece of cardboard,
a fat marker, and a pair of scissors.

Dan
5J

Hey Dan,
Not trying to sound any dumber than I am - but is there a technique to the cardboard and scissors approach? Or is it just a cycle of trimming and fitting until you get it right? I don't need a very accurate template for my case (need a sheet metal shop to make some tie down saddles for by DG300), I'm just thinking about how to get it right the first time.

thx, JJ
Old February 15th 21, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Hi JJ,

Stand the cardboard vertically on the wing parallel to the chord, or on
the under side if you want a template of the bottom. Lay the marker on
the wing parallel to the span and perpendicular to the cardboard. Move
the marker in a chord wise direction to mark the cardboard. Trim and
repeat as necessary. You'll get a perfect template for that wing station.

I made saddles for my LS-6a almost 30 years ago by covering the wing
(top and bottom) with aluminum foil at the desired location. I then
covered the foil with plastic wrap, the plastic wrap with felt, and laid
up fiberglass over top of that. Made a perfectly fitted cuff (on one
wing, at least).

Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Dan
5J

Old February 15th 21, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 11:49:54 -0800, John Johnson wrote:

You can make a profile template very quickly with a piece of cardboard,
a fat marker, and a pair of scissors.

Dan 5J

Hey Dan,
Not trying to sound any dumber than I am - but is there a technique to
the cardboard and scissors approach? Or is it just a cycle of
trimming and fitting until you get it right? I don't need a very
accurate template for my case (need a sheet metal shop to make some
tie down saddles for by DG300), I'm just thinking about how to get it
right the first time.

You can also make a pair of tiedowns like I made 3-seasons or so ago for
my Libelle. These should be easily adaptable to any glider that doesn't
use winglets:

https://www.gregorie.org/gliding/tie-down/

And, for extra security, make a pair of trestles from light wood. Mine
are from 50mm x 20mm lumber, hinged at the top and padded with stapled-on
pieces of rubber-backed carpet tile. I put the trestles under each wing
at about at about 2/3 span and have used the tie-downs with 'Claw'
anchors (which are excellent and were no more expensive than the
corkscrew type). I've used this system both with a set of CloudDancer
covers and without.

The only caveat is that balsa is getting to be unobtainable now that the
Chinese seem to own all the balsa-tree plantations and are using the lot
for wind-turbine blades. However, I only made my male mould from balsa
because I have a stack of it. Moderately hard blue foam insulation,
Depron foam sheet or ever corrugated cardboard packaging should work just
as well.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old February 16th 21, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Zivley[_3_]

RAS to the rescue...

Many thanks to Roger who was kind enough to send some coordinates that should allow me to get a template cut very close to final shape before making the drive out to the gliderport to do a check. Should save a lot of time.

Mark

Old February 17th 21, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Johnson

On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 3:34:00 PM UTC-7, Martin Gregorie wrote:
[...]

Dan, thanks - will get to work on it shortly. (I was wondering if there was a mark once/cut once solution I was missing)
Martin, Your solution looks elegant but I do have winglets. Also, I prefer to have larger load distributing saddles nearer to mid-span (next to the start of the ailerons). We get some vicious micro-bursts and I worry about concentrating the hold-down load at the tips.

thx, JJ

Discus B instrument panel template [email protected] Soaring 11 November 5th 17 01:01 AM
Looking for an electronic template for an LS7 instrument panel Gianni Isotope Soaring 6 February 25th 16 05:30 AM
ASG-28 W&B Excel Template Tom K (TK) Soaring 2 November 12th 13 06:32 PM
Drilling Template. Darek Soaring 7 November 23rd 09 08:13 PM
3 1/8" instrument template [email protected] Home Built 4 April 15th 06 02:26 AM