Question about Learning to fly?

Old November 27th 05, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Question about Learning to fly?

Something I always wanted to do is learn to pilot an aircraft. And one day
own one. I have even started flying model aircraft just to control the
flying itch. That's not working anymore. So I've been talking to the local
flying schools and have learned this is not a cheep hobby. I have the G.I.
bill to use toward the cost, however it doesn't help until I receive the
private pilots certification. So I guess my questions is, is it worth the
expense? If you don't own a aircraft, what do you do? And finally, how would
you recommend someone on how to start out (with DVD's and such)?

Thanks,

Dwayne

Old November 27th 05, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Dwayne Smith" wrote in message
Something I always wanted to do is learn to pilot an aircraft. And one day
own one. I have even started flying model aircraft just to control the
flying itch. That's not working anymore. So I've been talking to the local
flying schools and have learned this is not a cheep hobby. I have the G.I.
bill to use toward the cost, however it doesn't help until I receive the
private pilots certification. So I guess my questions is, is it worth the
expense? If you don't own a aircraft, what do you do? And finally, how
would
you recommend someone on how to start out (with DVD's and such)?

Thanks,

Dwayne

Your post reads like you're in the US? Wereabouts?

Lowest cost would usually be to find a soaring club in the area and get
private pilot - glider rating.

Is it worth the cost? Obviously a lot of people think so. Others don't. It's
a pretty personal decision.

If you don't own, you can join a club and / or rent.

--
Geoff
the sea hawk at wow way d0t com

Old November 27th 05, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote

Is it worth the cost? Obviously a lot of people think so. Others don't.

It's
a pretty personal decision.

In 20 yrs of flying GA I don't think I've ever met anyone who completed the
goal of getting their license say that they didn't think it was worth it.
It's actually worth a heck of alot more than you will have to pay! But, you
probably won't realize that until you get your license and have a few years
of flying under your belt. Until then, you'll just have to take my word for
it. :)

Old November 27th 05, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dwayne Smith wrote:
Something I always wanted to do is learn to pilot an aircraft. And one day
own one. I have even started flying model aircraft just to control the
flying itch. That's not working anymore. So I've been talking to the local
flying schools and have learned this is not a cheep hobby. I have the G.I.
bill to use toward the cost, however it doesn't help until I receive the
private pilots certification. So I guess my questions is, is it worth the
expense? If you don't own a aircraft, what do you do? And finally, how would
you recommend someone on how to start out (with DVD's and such)?

Thanks,

Dwayne

If cost is a major issue, give some serious thought to gliders. Once
you are licensed, and skilled, you should be able to fly for a few
hours at a time and at a much lower cost. The costs of ownership are
also quite a bit lower.

Flying only gliders does have drawbacks. You aren't going to use it for
transportation, and if you own, it will likely be a single seater.

I've been flying gliders for a few years. I may fly power someday.
Right now, I can't justify the costs. (I have a few schemes working !)

It's really about what you want. If you want to fly for pleasure only,
gliders may be an option.

Doug

Check out www.ssa.org . Go to the "where to fly" section to see what's
available near you.

Old November 27th 05, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Nick Danger wrote:
"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote

Is it worth the cost? Obviously a lot of people think so. Others don't.

It's
a pretty personal decision.

In 20 yrs of flying GA I don't think I've ever met anyone who completed the
goal of getting their license say that they didn't think it was worth it.
It's actually worth a heck of alot more than you will have to pay! But, you
probably won't realize that until you get your license and have a few years
of flying under your belt. Until then, you'll just have to take my word for
it. :)

Dwayne,

For the best prices on getting a single engine land pilot license I
would check into any military aero club in the area. Most Air Force
and some Navy bases have them, and if you are eligible for membership
(i.e. active duty, retired, contractor, CAP, etc.), are much cheaper
than their civilian counterparts. Also, they will know exactly how far
you can stretch your GI bill entitlements, and when it can be applied.
Some folks get up to 60% of the cost.
I have personal experience at the Charleston AFB Aero Club (for my
private license) and the LeMay Aero Club in Offutt AFB, NE (for the
instrument rating).
Just as an example, the LeMay Aero Club at Offutt rents a 1972 Piper
Warrior for only $67 an hour wet (including fuel) and a 2003 Cessna 172
for only $82 an hour . For comparison, an FBO in Houston was renting
an identical 172 for $124 an hour. The instructors run another $21 an
hour.
Oh, and don't forget the cost of renter's insurance. I was quoted a
price of $1000 per year for civilian insurance, just as a low-time
student pilot. The military aero clubs include insurance in the cost
of membership (around $180 per year).
Of course, a military aero club won't be of any help if you live too
far away from one . . .
If you don't have a plane most civilian clubs and FBOs will have
planes for rent and instructors for hire. FBOs are "fixed base
operators", really a term for an airport based business which normally
sell fuel, rents planes, has instructors and mechanics, and even loans
cars to transient pilots.
Go out to a local Aero Club or FBO and ask an instructor (or
student) there for advice on how to get started.

Good Luck,

Martin

Old November 27th 05, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dwayne Smith wrote:
Something I always wanted to do is learn to pilot an aircraft. And one day
own one. I have even started flying model aircraft just to control the
flying itch. That's not working anymore. So I've been talking to the local
flying schools and have learned this is not a cheep hobby. I have the G.I.
bill to use toward the cost, however it doesn't help until I receive the
private pilots certification. So I guess my questions is, is it worth the
expense? If you don't own a aircraft, what do you do? And finally, how would
you recommend someone on how to start out (with DVD's and such)?

I sense a few misconceptions about "flying" in your comments. First,
understand that flying is something you do because you enjoy it. It is
fun to get in a plane, make it take off, talk to ATC, navigate, etc.
So, "getting a PPL ticket" isn't the real goal.

Next, flying does not suddenly get free if you have a PPL certificate,
even if you own your own plane. Much has been written in these groups
about the cost of insurance, annual inspections, repairs, engine
replacements, medicals...

Another thing you want to do is continuing education, getting other
certificates through a CFII. ATP is probably out of reach. Spreading
out to ASES, maybe a RH, Gliders, etc and LTA. (BTW: Balloons are much
more expensive than ASEL!)

So there is not much point to saving a few thousand dollars for you
basic instruction. My advice is to proceed at your own pace, renting a
plane and instructor from your favorite FBO. One of these days you'll
get blessed with a ticket. But nothing will change except that you can
go off on your own.

Old November 27th 05, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Martin,

I didn't think about looking at military aero clubs. I'm not sure if I
qualify or not, but I'll look into it.

Thanks,

Dwayne

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old November 27th 05, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 22:29:36 -0500, "Dwayne Smith"
wrote:

:Martin,
:
:I didn't think about looking at military aero clubs. I'm not sure if I
:qualify or not, but I'll look into it.

If you don't qualify otherwise, join the Civil Air Patrol - that will
qualify you for membership in the military flying clubs.

A *few* CAP groups also have airplanes that members can rent for
instruction at terrific prices. Near where I live there's a CAP
"Glider and Balloon" squadron that does rope tow glider flights once
or twice a week. It's about $5 for 10 minutes sail plane time.
Old November 27th 05, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I was quoted a
price of $1000 per year for civilian insurance, just as a low-time
student pilot.

That sounds way out of line, at least for non-owned. $300 is closer.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.

Handheld battery question RobsSanta General Aviation 8 September 19th 04 03:07 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Phoenix AIM-54A (QUESTION) Krztalizer Naval Aviation 10 February 23rd 04 07:22 AM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM