Re-learning IFR

Old November 24th 03, 02:38 PM
Jim

Default Re-learning IFR

jbo,
I'm roughly in the same position as you and I've found that reading the AIM
really helps more than ever. I've been teaching a instrument rating ground
school and honestly the answers to most of the students questions are in the
AIM. Although the main objective is for the students to prepare for the FAA
test, we've been useing Peger Dogan's book to apply theory to real world
flying. The IFH is also used in this aspect and it's really one of the
FAA's better books.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

"BoDEAN" wrote in message
Getting ready to get back into my CFII training. Wondering what
books/material you recommend I start reading/brushing up on when I
have bad weather days out at the airport? Jepps instrument book?
Instrument flying handbook (read cover to cover?) ?

Old November 24th 03, 08:10 PM
EDR

One of the things that helped me the most was reading all of Don
Brown's ATC columns on AvWeb.
Old November 24th 03, 08:14 PM
Jim

Yep. I agree. In fact, I've printed them all out for our ground school.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old November 24th 03, 11:58 PM
Bob Gardner

Haven't FAA books improved since the FAA quit writing them and farmed the
task out to the aviation education community?

Bob Gardner

Old November 24th 03, 11:59 PM
Bob Gardner

I enjoy Don's columns as well, and have had the opportunity to talk to him
in person. Be advised, though, that his thinking is Atlanta-centered (no pun
intended) and that not all controllers agree with him.

Bob Gardner

"BoDEAN" wrote in message
They are that good?

Old November 25th 03, 12:09 AM
EDR

In article , BoDEAN
wrote:

They are that good?

I hadn't flown IFR since 1986 and got recurrent last October 2002.
Flying was the easy part, relearning the procedures stuff was where I
needed the refresher.
Don's articles give you the big and little picture, explaining why ATC
operates the way it does. I has helped me when filing the routing I
want and knowing what to expect from the system.

Old November 25th 03, 07:14 PM
Bob Gardner

The IFH was written by ASA under contract to the FAA, but the feds had the
final say on the text. I wrote chapters 4, 5, and 8...what don't you like?

Bob Gardner

Old November 25th 03, 07:38 PM
Bob Gardner

I should add the the FAA editors substituted their own biases and changed a
lot of the text submitted to them...gives me the opportunity to blame them
for anything you don't like (:-).

ASA also did the W&B Handbook (8083-1). I think Jepp did the Airplane Flying
Handbook, with its horrible index....like everything else in the government,
the low bidder gets the job. Bill Kershner tells me that he has had bad
experience with the FAA using his material without compensation or
permission in the past and will not bid on any of the rewrites.

Bob Gardner