Another C-17 On The Way

Old February 23rd 04, 02:15 AM
John A. Weeks III

Default Another C-17 On The Way

I drove past the charter terminal at MSP this evening, and
happened to see another C-17 at the terminal in UK markings.
Looks like the Brits are getting another C-17 delivery. It
was too dark to see the tail numbers.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Old February 23rd 04, 02:51 PM
Jim Doyle

"John A. Weeks III" wrote in message
I drove past the charter terminal at MSP this evening, and
happened to see another C-17 at the terminal in UK markings.
Looks like the Brits are getting another C-17 delivery. It
was too dark to see the tail numbers.

Last I heard the RAF was due its fifth C-17 in March/April this year for 99
Sqn at RAF Brize Norton, so that tallies.

Don't suppose you got a look at the Union Flag, is it still upside down?!
We'll see if the Boeing paint shop reads ram! )

Jim D

-john-

Old February 23rd 04, 03:47 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Jim Doyle" wrote in message

"John A. Weeks III" wrote in message
I drove past the charter terminal at MSP this evening, and
happened to see another C-17 at the terminal in UK markings.
Looks like the Brits are getting another C-17 delivery. It
was too dark to see the tail numbers.

Last I heard the RAF was due its fifth C-17 in March/April this year for

99
Sqn at RAF Brize Norton, so that tallies.

It does? I thought the current lease deal was for four aircraft. There have
been rumors of a possible expansion of this, or an outright purshase of some
C-17s (up to six, according to AFM), but AFAIK nothing has been released? I
did read where one of the original four got a bit banged up during a landing
at Kabul (wingtip and engine striking the ground at it settled in) this past
December; could it be that they are returning that aircraft for more
extensive repairs and this bird is a replacement under the lease deal?

Brooks

Old February 23rd 04, 03:56 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

It does? I thought the current lease deal was for four aircraft. There

have
been rumors of a possible expansion of this, or an outright purshase of

some
C-17s (up to six, according to AFM), but AFAIK nothing has been released?

did read where one of the original four got a bit banged up during a

landing
at Kabul (wingtip and engine striking the ground at it settled in) this

past
December; could it be that they are returning that aircraft for more
extensive repairs and this bird is a replacement under the lease deal?

Brooks

There was a recent article in global defence that mentioned that
usage of the four aircraft was running at 200% of that envisaged
in the original lease. Aparently the RAF has increased the
squadron establishment by 8 flightcrew and 22 engineers
and the RAF has made it clear that it would like to increase the fleet
to at least 12 . The MOD has apparently been negotiating
about the outright purchase of at least some aircraft.

Keith

Old February 23rd 04, 04:02 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, that pretty much agrees with what I have read, though the number I saw
was a possible increase of six aircraft, either leased or purchased bweing
possible, for a total strength of ten. Haven't seen any confirmation of a
deal as of yet, though.

Brooks

Keith

Old February 23rd 04, 05:40 PM
Errol Cavit

"Jim Doyle" wrote in message

snip

Last I heard the RAF was due its fifth C-17 in March/April this year for

99
Sqn at RAF Brize Norton, so that tallies.

Don't suppose you got a look at the Union Flag, is it still upside down?!
We'll see if the Boeing paint shop reads ram! )

Is this another example of a flag being the 'wrong' way on the starboard
side of the aircraft? Or did they truly stuff it up?

The Aussie shipbuilders managed to paint the RAN ANZAC-class that was built
following a RNZN one in the RNZN paint scheme - red (grey?) faces all round.

--
Errol Cavit |
"You should never bet against anything in science at odds of more than about

Old February 23rd 04, 07:09 PM

I was told by a crew member from Brize that they paint it like you would see
on a flagpole, with the pole at the front of the aircraft. Therefore one
side would be the reverse of the other.
Old February 23rd 04, 08:22 PM
Jim Doyle

"Jim Doyle" wrote in message

[...]

Yes that's quite right, the original case was just the four lease aircraft.
I was lucky enough to visit 99 Squadron last November, and was told a fifth
aircraft was planned then for EIS late this spring - nothing official, just
from one of the Flt Sgt loadies.

Jim D

Brooks