iPad 4?

Old June 29th 12, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster

Default iPad 4?

Apple is rumored to have a smaller, 7" iPad in the works to compete
with the Kindle Fire which would make it more accomodating in the
cockpit for a nav aid than the 11" version. (There may also be a touch-
screen in development with realistic tactile feel from a company in
Sweden). Anyone have an opinion as to whether to wait until a smaller
iPad is available? There was a discussion awhile back that the Kindle
pixel refresh on a moving map is too slow. Is this an issue with the
iPad? Alternatively, what's the best smartphone or PDA (with internal
GPS) available now; the Dell Streak 5?

Old June 29th 12, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Friday, June 29, 2012 8:29:52 AM UTC-7, Duster wrote:
Apple is rumored to have a smaller, 7" iPad in the works to compete
with the Kindle Fire which would make it more accomodating in the
cockpit for a nav aid than the 11" version. (There may also be a touch-
screen in development with realistic tactile feel from a company in
Sweden). Anyone have an opinion as to whether to wait until a smaller
iPad is available? There was a discussion awhile back that the Kindle
pixel refresh on a moving map is too slow. Is this an issue with the
iPad? Alternatively, what's the best smartphone or PDA (with internal
GPS) available now; the Dell Streak 5?

And what software do you want to run - that seems the first issue to broach. There is no compelling software AFAIK that run on iPads for in cockpit use.

Apple product rumors are likely a waste of time to chase. But I kind of expect they are flat out on focusing on getting iPhone 5 out, ideally for them by Christmas.

Darryl
Old June 29th 12, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

On Friday, June 29, 2012 11:29:52 AM UTC-4, Duster wrote:
Apple is rumored to have a smaller, 7" iPad in the works to compete
with the Kindle Fire which would make it more accomodating in the
cockpit for a nav aid than the 11" version. (There may also be a touch-
screen in development with realistic tactile feel from a company in
Sweden). Anyone have an opinion as to whether to wait until a smaller
iPad is available? There was a discussion awhile back that the Kindle
pixel refresh on a moving map is too slow. Is this an issue with the
iPad? Alternatively, what's the best smartphone or PDA (with internal
GPS) available now; the Dell Streak 5?

Dell Streak 5 has been outstanding for me this season running XC Soar 6.3x. I keep my oudie (sunlight readable version) in the pocket to be honest. My next choice would be my phone (droid bionic). The interface for the SeeYou software is just painful once you try XC Soar (modern interface, modern device).
Old June 29th 12, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Reitter

On Friday, June 29, 2012 11:29:52 AM UTC-4, Duster wrote:
Apple is rumored to have a smaller, 7" iPad in the works to compete
with the Kindle Fire which would make it more accomodating in the
cockpit for a nav aid than the 11" version.

iOS won't run XCSoar (or anything else).

I use an iPhone daily, but for cockpit use, I have and recommend the Dell Streak 5 (available for less than $200 on ebay). Its transflective touchscreen improves sunlight-readability.

If you rwant 7", you have a variety of options among Android devices, none of which have a transflective screen (to my knowledge).

I keep my Ipaq 310 as a backup (and for car-nagivation). (It is tricky to power and charge and is no longer recommended.)
Old June 29th 12, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster

On Jun 29, 12:26*pm, David Reitter wrote:
On Friday, June 29, 2012 11:29:52 AM UTC-4, Duster wrote:
Apple is rumored to have a smaller, 7" iPad in the works to compete
with the Kindle Fire which would make it more accomodating in the
cockpit for a nav aid than the 11" version.

iOS won't run XCSoar (or anything else).

I use an iPhone daily, but for cockpit use, I have and recommend the Dell Streak 5 (available for less than $200 on ebay). *Its transflective touchscreen improves sunlight-readability.

If you rwant 7", you have a variety of options among Android devices, *none of which have a transflective screen (to my knowledge).

I keep my Ipaq 310 as a backup (and for car-nagivation). *(It is tricky to power and charge and is no longer recommended.)

All these comments are helpful in decision-making, thanks. I take it
that the internal GPS in the Dell Streak 5 works well? Are there other
PDAs that compete favorably with the Dell that also have an internal
GPS?
Old June 29th 12, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, June 29, 2012 10:29:52 AM UTC-5, Duster wrote:
Apple is rumored to have a smaller, 7" iPad in the works to compete
with the Kindle Fire which would make it more accomodating in the
cockpit for a nav aid than the 11" version. (There may also be a touch-
screen in development with realistic tactile feel from a company in
Sweden). Anyone have an opinion as to whether to wait until a smaller
iPad is available? There was a discussion awhile back that the Kindle
pixel refresh on a moving map is too slow. Is this an issue with the
iPad? Alternatively, what's the best smartphone or PDA (with internal
GPS) available now; the Dell Streak 5?

Kindle refresh rate seems to work just fine under XCSoar from my point of view. If it can display full motion HD video streams, it can certainly display an XCSoar moving map with no issues... The real issue with Kindle is that it doesn't have GPS nor bluetooth so you're left with WiFi to get logger data into the device.

The readability in full sunlight will also require max display brightness to be even close to acceptable.

It will be interesting to see how Google's new 7" tablet does in direct sunlight.
Old June 30th 12, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I can't help you with the first part of your post, but (in my opinion) the
best PDA option is the Oudie2. The original version was extremely popular
(I sold over 400.). The new brighter version is already proving extremely
popular. They will be available in August. You can see details using the
link below.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/seeyou.htm

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
______________________________________

Old June 30th 12, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Mocho

I recently converted to a Dell Streak 5 Android device and I used a
RS232/Bluetooth adapter from usconverters.com ($51 with shipping) to
connect to the CAI 302. I built a cable to connect the adapter, as
both the 302 and the adapter had the same plug gender. It was no big
deal, even for an electron challenged guy like me. It was only four
wires, and I was able to power the Bluetooth adapter (pin 9) from the
302 power output on either pin 6 or pin 8. So far it works great. I
needed to get some help from a couple of people (Mike C & Mike A) to
get everything up and running, but I am very happy with it so far. I
also have to say that I am very impressed with the screen brightness
of the Dell Streak 5 and the power of XC Soar. Total cost for the
package was under $300. I am seeing the Streak 5 on ebay for around
$200.

Battery life is adequate, even at full brightness but I learned that
the Streak should be set to "Airplane Mode" so that the cell
searching
doesn't draw power. I flew 4.5 hours the other day and the battery
still showed 46%. Just in case, I installed a 12v to 5v USB plug
(soldered two wires to a cigarette lighter charge adapter from
Duracell) in my panel. Pretty cool alternative to systems costing
hundreds or thousands more. I will be comparing screen brightness to
the upgraded Oudie soon. The Craggy Aero Ultimate and ClearNav are
much better, but pretty expensive.

I am also able to download flight logs from the 302 and upload to the
OLC with a WiFi connection. Definitely a big improvement over my old
Compaq 1530 and GlideNav II, but there still needs to be a utility
app
for the Android to replace the Cambridge Utility 257. You can still
use a laptop if necessary, but an Android app would be better.

MSM

Old June 30th 12, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Friday, June 29, 2012 11:59:45 AM UTC-5, Sean F (F2) wrote:

The interface for the SeeYou software is just painful once you try XC Soar (modern interface, modern device).

Funny, I found it the exact opposite - XCSoar is interesting but tries too hard to do too much, while I can tailor SYM to do exactly what I want - and only what I want.

But then, I use an SN10 for the number crunching, and SYM for a tactical display.

I will admit that for the price, XCSoar (and LK8000) are fantastic.

Kirk
66
Old June 30th 12, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Jun 29, 8:42*pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:
On Friday, June 29, 2012 11:59:45 AM UTC-5, Sean F (F2) wrote:

*The interface for the SeeYou software is just painful once you try XC Soar (modern interface, modern device).

Funny, I found it the exact opposite - XCSoar is interesting but tries too hard to do too much, while I can tailor SYM to do exactly what I want - and only what I want.

But then, I use an SN10 for the number crunching, and SYM for a tactical display.

I will admit that for the price, XCSoar (and LK8000) are fantastic.

Kirk
66

As with most computer programs once you snap, XCSoar is very easy to
understand, and very easy to tailor to ones needs.
I agree that there is a lot more being offered than most of us need,
but some folks do request certain features that the developers
patiently listen to and often implement.

Seeing that no one gets paid for their work and the continuing
development is done mostly through a spirit of cooperation in an
effort to support the soaring community, it is an amazing phenomenon.

Mike C