Two 14 year old boys steal plane and then crash

Old February 28th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Two 14 year old boys steal plane and then crash

wrote in message
Oh, don't get me wrong... I am not saying I disagree with your philosophy
in the least. However, I have seen the oddest behaviors from "do-gooders"
in this useless state.

For instance...

While in a blockbuster video, a kid (about age 5) was being a major pain
and the parent swatted the kid on the rear while in the store. Another
person came up and "detained" them until the police showed up. True story
which I personally observed.

"This is my .45... This is your brain scattered across the videos... Any
questions?"

If you leave bruises, it could be viewed at abuse... Red marks left on the
butt don't count... Slapping the kid in the face is not really acceptable
though... Hell, what do you think that butts evolved for? Sitting? Nawh...

Old February 28th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message
My at-home son is 6'3", 215 and I'd need a cinderblock to beat him
senseless...if I could catch him.

If you start out right, they'll still be intimidated of you even when you're
on a walker and they're picking out your retirement home...

Old February 28th 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Matt
Do you have any kids? Are they all you'd like them to be? Can they
survive in a society without rules or demands for certain levels of
behaviour?
I suppose I could talk my kids to death and feel good that I'd
counseled them to the point of correct behaviour only to have to do it
again when they decided to argue the point while they misbehaved.
I can see this is a pointless argument with liberal attitudes. You can
raise your kids the way you see fit, and I'll raise mine the way I see
fit. When my kids go to war to support our way of life,and yours stay
at home doing "their thing", I'll maintain my position of arguing the
position of might/right
In the meantime, I'll demand discipline in the cockpit that many
students are not accustomed to yet respond to in a positive manner. It
can quickly become a life or death matter and they see it from a new
perspective with my instruction. Why? Because in 50 years of aviation
I've been subjected to more than most can imagine.
I hope I haven' t offended you with my bluntness, but if I have, deal
with it?
Semper Fi
Rocky

Old February 28th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Then perhaps you can understand my position? Why are the youth of today
so far out of touch with common decency in society and seem to have
lost any sembalance of moral compass?

I'm with ya on this one Rocky. I've asked the same thing in one of my
earlier posts. IIRC I was commenting on the suspected "reality
disconnect" that it seems many kids have today. That, and the seemingly
complete disrespect for other people and their posessions. It seems
like there's no regard for the potential consequences of one's actions,
and that doesn't always just mean juveniles. Consider adults that f-up
and refuse to take responsibility for their actions.

When I was a kid (I'm 37) just taking Dad's car for a joyride before I
had a license was a hoot. I can't imagine having the stones to take his
plane (if he'd had one) I guess I never lost sight of the huge
potential downside to doing something as stupid as that. Consider again
the cases of acft being stolen last year alone (here in CT at my
airport - that guy's still in jail) . Juveniles looking for a thrill
thinking (maybe?) they can handle anything that happens just because
they have MS Flight Sim 5.whatever. Unreal.

Whew. Didn't mean to vent and I'm certainly no authority on this, but I
get really steamed when something like this happens because it just
makes GA look bad no matter what the outcome.

Old February 28th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Reminds me of a time when I was in intensive care with 7 bullet holes
and kind of hurting...
My son came to see me and reminded me of the times when he had
challenged me to an arm wrestle and he always lost. And the day when he
said, "Dad, someday I'm gonna beat your ass". I laughed and told him,
"Son, when you get to that point you're not gonna want to." When he
leaned down to give me a soft hug in the hospital,I said, "Son, now is
your chance to beat my ass..." he reminded me of that day and said,
"Dad, I just figured out I don't want to.."
Semper Fi
Rocky

Old February 28th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Peter R." wrote in message
The fact that the thief of the aircraft was his son does not negate the
fact that the aircraft was stolen and damaged. As an aircraft owner
myself, I have confidence that this aircraft will be covered by the

owner's
insurance policy.

So, they'll pay off to the father on the stolen aircraft and then sue the
son for the damage that he did to it... Since the son is a minor, the father
would have to pay it... Never underestimate the limits the insurance
companies will go to to keep from paying out or getting their money back...

Old February 28th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

Then perhaps you can understand my position?

Sure do, although not knowing the details of this stolen aircraft, I am
unable to judge whether anyone was actually dodging responsibility.
Perhaps the boys will come forward, admit full responsibility, and request
the fullest penalty of the law as a response for their very stupid action?

Why are the youth of today
so far out of touch with common decency in society and seem to have
lost any sembalance of moral compass?

In cases such as this? Probably poor parenting. I have three young boys
ages 8, 6, and 1. Through my (and my wife's) actions and words, the older
are consistently taught responsibility, decency, and respect for authority.

They are absolutely held to a high standard and are accountable for every
one of their actions through swift discipline. My effective tool is more a
loud voice and removal of privileges rather than physical threat, although
in one memorable case even that was needed early on to stop some harmful
behavior, which it immediately did.

--
Peter
Old February 28th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Grumman-581" wrote in message
"Matt Barrow" wrote in message
My at-home son is 6'3", 215 and I'd need a cinderblock to beat him
senseless...if I could catch him.

If you start out right, they'll still be intimidated of you even when
you're
on a walker and they're picking out your retirement home...

:~)

Well, my oldest is 26, USN LT(jg) CE, at-home son is 23 and on his way to
Med school, and my youngest is 20; I never hit any of them. Ever.

Raised my voice a few times. Okay, a lotta times.

--
Matt