Avgas plummets!

Old December 10th 05, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Avgas plummets!

Couldn't believe my eyes.

I pulled up to the pumps today at my home base of Old Bridge, NJ (3N6)
to find AVGAS at $3.15/gallon (cash), down from a high of $4.15 IIRC. I
haven't seen it that low since well before the recent runup (probably
two years). Never thought I'd see the day when I was actually glad to
pay $3.15 a gallon, but it's here.

Oddly enough, the airport manager told me several weeks ago that the
first decline (to $3.85) wouldn't be the last, so the distributor must
have seen the change in the market coming.

As we shutdown at the pumps and gazed at the price in disbelief I said
to my partner - "Hey, want to top off and go up again? Talk about an
excuse to fly!" He said "Na, gotta get going, but let's fill up a few 5
gallon cans for next time just in case it goes back up! :-)"

Finally, some good news in aviation. We can actually afford to fly
again. Let that be a lesson to all the assholes in this business who
are overcharging us -- from the refiners, to the distributors, and
ESPECIALLY the FBOs. I mean, I don't expect anyone to work for free,
but my philosophy is that a business can either make a reasonable amount
of money on volume or nothing at all when I don't fly. The best
long-term business strategy seems clear to me.

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com
--------------------
Old December 11th 05, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("Doug Vetter" wrote)
[snip]
I pulled up to the pumps today at my home base of Old Bridge, NJ (3N6) to
find AVGAS at $3.15/gallon (cash), down from a high of $4.15 IIRC. I
haven't seen it that low since well before the recent runup (probably two
years). Never thought I'd see the day when I was actually glad to pay
$3.15 a gallon, but it's here.

I paid $1.90 last week to fill up the minivan. $2.03 now this week. Prices
spiked back up to $2.12 earlier in the week.

http://www.twincitiesgasprices.com/

Montblack

Old December 11th 05, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Doug Vetter wrote:

I pulled up to the pumps today at my home base of Old Bridge, NJ (3N6)
to find AVGAS at $3.15/gallon (cash), down from a high of $4.15 IIRC. I
haven't seen it that low since well before the recent runup (probably
two years).

I've told you a million times not to exagerate. Back in January gas was still
less than $3.00/gallon at Old Bridge. It was $3.15 at Lakewood. Two years ago,
Paul was charging $2.65 at Old Bridge. That's cash price.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.
Old December 11th 05, 09:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Doug Vetter" wrote in message
[...]

well I am paying $2.30 a liter the moment and no signs of it falling. (UK)

Old December 11th 05, 10:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Chris" wrote in message

well I am paying $2.30 a liter the moment and no signs of it falling. (UK)

Ditto, Greece (actually, $2.00).

Old December 11th 05, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

What does this have to do with AVGAS?

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Doug Vetter" wrote)
[snip]

Old December 11th 05, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

What does this have to do with AVGAS?

Oh sh*t, now you've done it!

Old December 11th 05, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Last week it was $3.05 self serve.. be interesting to see this weeks.

I'm waiting.. not holding my breath.. for when the local flight school drops
the surcharge he added when the prices were up.

BT

Old December 11th 05, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I paid $1.90 last week to fill up the minivan. $2.03 now this week.
Prices spiked back up to $2.12 earlier in the week.

http://www.twincitiesgasprices.com/

("John Doe" wrote)
What does this have to do with AVGAS?

Trends.

Parts of the country might not know that Mogas has dipped below $2.00 in
another part of the country.

Mogas and Avgas used to be closer in price - two years ago, the trend was
about 50 cents difference - OSH and MN as references. Recently, it seems
like that difference has been over $1.00 ....closer to $1.50 or $2.00 - post
Katrina.

My Mogas station is at the departure end of ANE's runway 27.

We're at a Twin Cities low of $2.07 on Sunday morning, BTW :-)

Montbalck
"So there." - aviation movie quote!

Avgas STC Mike Granby Owning 12 September 6th 05 07:18 PM
Avgas price and the light plane ownership M Owning 56 July 10th 05 04:55 AM
Avgas Prices aluckyguess Piloting 14 May 6th 05 07:23 AM
AvGas in New Hampshire has reached $3.15/gallon :) Cub Driver Piloting 3 April 17th 05 03:22 PM
Avgas is cheap John Galban Piloting 63 March 13th 04 03:00 AM