avionics fraud on ebay

Old September 22nd 05, 06:01 PM
Matt Barrow

"George Patterson" wrote in message
news:z8BYe.16452$Zg5.3421@trndny05...
Greg Copeland wrote:

Oh ya! NEVER, EVER, NEVER, purchase online with your debit credit card!

I call mine my "ATM card", since that's all I ever use it for.

You don't use it at the grocery store?

Old September 22nd 05, 06:12 PM
George Patterson

Matt Barrow wrote:

You don't use it at the grocery store?

No. I have a credit card for purchases.

George Patterson
Old September 22nd 05, 06:59 PM
Greg Copeland

Greg Copeland wrote:

Oh ya! NEVER, EVER, NEVER, purchase online with your debit credit card!

I call mine my "ATM card", since that's all I ever use it for.

You don't use it at the grocery store?

That's fine. I'm referring to online purchases. You would only want to
use it in situations where you trust that fraud is not a likely situation.
Accidents have happened where is has taken weeks to get straightened out.
Nonetheless, I wouldn't think that type of accident were common place.
Just use your head and caution.

Greg

Old September 22nd 05, 07:26 PM
Peter Duniho

You don't use it at the grocery store?

No. I have a credit card for purchases.

Even if you did use it at the grocery store, assuming you *didn't* use it as
if it were a credit card (ie, you entered your PIN), there's not any risk.

The risk comes in when the Visa card number is used for the transaction,
because that number provides an unsecured path straight into your bank
account, without any fraud protection.

Used in the same manner as if at an ATM, one's debit card should be just as
secure as if used at the ATM (keeping in mind there are still potentials for
fraud there).

Pete

Old September 23rd 05, 03:56 AM
Matt Barrow

Matt Barrow wrote:

You don't use it at the grocery store?

No. I have a credit card for purchases.

I'd think you didn't use credit cards for general purposes.

I hit ATM's about twice a year and only use the ATM debit card instead of a
check.

Also, grocery stores around here only started taking CC's in the past few
months.

--
Matt

---------------------
Matthew W. Barrow
Site-Fill Homes, LLC.
Montrose, CO

Old September 23rd 05, 03:57 AM
Matt Barrow

news

Greg Copeland wrote:

Oh ya! NEVER, EVER, NEVER, purchase online with your debit credit
card!

I call mine my "ATM card", since that's all I ever use it for.

You don't use it at the grocery store?

That's fine. I'm referring to online purchases. You would only want to
use it in situations where you trust that fraud is not a likely situation.
Accidents have happened where is has taken weeks to get straightened out.
Nonetheless, I wouldn't think that type of accident were common place.
Just use your head and caution.

For online transactions I'd only use a CC...even with merchants I've done
business with for a long time (Amazon,etc).

--
Matt

---------------------
Matthew W. Barrow
Site-Fill Homes, LLC.
Montrose, CO

Old September 23rd 05, 03:59 AM
George Patterson

Matt Barrow wrote:

I'd think you didn't use credit cards for general purposes.

I put about everything except gas for the truck on VISA.

Also, grocery stores around here only started taking CC's in the past few
months.

They've been taking them here for something like 15 years.

George Patterson
Old September 23rd 05, 04:23 AM
Matt Barrow

Matt Barrow wrote:

I'd think you didn't use credit cards for general purposes.

I put about everything except gas for the truck on VISA.

Also, grocery stores around here only started taking CC's in the past few
months.

They've been taking them here for something like 15 years.

Around here they've taken debit cards for said 15 years, but only recently
have they taken CC's.

I just can't get my arms around using a CC for small purchases done
face-to-face.

Old September 25th 05, 07:11 PM
Walter Murray

"Zulu" wrote in message
The seller
replied in broken english with a bunch of mish mash that he just opened an
electronics company in Europe and that if you send $500 by western union
right now then he'll make you this great deal. Beware out there. If it
sounds too good to be true.....

Just fantasizing a little about what might be next ...

I got this confidential e-mail from the widow of the late Nigerian Minister
of Aviation, and she's looking for someone to assist her in getting his
Garmin 396 out of the country, and ... :-)

Walter

Old September 26th 05, 12:47 AM
Blanche

Anyone see last Sunday's comics? Sorry, can't remember the strip,
but it was a spoof of the Nigerian emails.