WWII 20mm cannon in planes

Old March 8th 04, 06:02 PM
zxcv

Default WWII 20mm cannon in planes

It seems to me that the Germans and Japanese had a lot more cannon in their
planes than the Americans who seemed to rely almost totally on .50 machine
guns.

Why was that? What was the rate of fire or the 20mm cannons and what type
of projectiles did they fire?

Old March 8th 04, 07:49 PM
steve gallacci

zxcv wrote:

It seems to me that the Germans and Japanese had a lot more cannon in their
planes than the Americans who seemed to rely almost totally on .50 machine
guns.

Why was that? What was the rate of fire or the 20mm cannons and what type
of projectiles did they fire?

The US .50 BMG was a pretty good gun, reasonable rate of fire, hard
hitting round, and good velocity/range. The German 13mm gun was rather
weak by comparison and 20mm (and later, 30mm and larger) explosive or
incendiary shells were considered good bomber killers, though had
somewhat poorer velocity/range. For most applications, .50 fire was more
than adequate for most combat, especially as you could put more guns and
ammo in the plane compared to 20mm. It wasn't until things like the
toughness of MiG15s in the Korean War and the need for good bomber
killer rounds for US fighters that the limits of the .50 became more of
an issue.
On the other hand, the Brits (and the US Navy?) used 20mm during the war.
Old March 8th 04, 07:58 PM
Kevin Brooks

"steve gallacci" wrote in message

zxcv wrote:

[...]

The USN started to switch to the 20mm during the latter part of the war, but
it also produced .50 cal armed aircraft through the end of the war, too. If
the original poster will do a search using google news, he will find that
this topic has repeatedly been beat to death in this NG, and likely find
some items of interest to him.

Brooks

Old March 8th 04, 08:24 PM
Keith Willshaw

"zxcv" wrote in message
It seems to me that the Germans and Japanese had a lot more cannon in

their
planes than the Americans who seemed to rely almost totally on .50 machine
guns.

Why was that? What was the rate of fire or the 20mm cannons and what type
of projectiles did they fire?

Because most continental powers were using .30 calibre MG's and often
only mounted 2 or 4 of them which gave pretty poor firepower

4 or 6 .50's give a much better armament and less incentive to
move to cannon. Various calibre cannon were tried with some success
and towards the end of WW2 the USN started to adopt it more
rapidly.

Keith

Old March 8th 04, 11:23 PM
Cub Driver

The American fifty-caliber machinegun was a formidable weapon,
especially against fighters. This size bullet was rarely used by other
nations, who tended to favor rifle-caliber (.30-cal or 7.x mm)
machineguns. The A6M2 Zero had two rifle-caliber guns and two 20 mm
cannon. The Wildcat with four fifties came out even against the Zero
during the first year of the war, despite the fact that the U.S.
pilots started out with the disadvantage of no combat experience. And
the Wildcat wasn't even considered a first-class American fighter!

When Germany and Japan realized they had to up-gun their fighters in
order to prevail against heavily defended and armored American
bombers, they naturally favored cannon. After the first year of the
war, the U.S. didn't have to contend much with enemy bombers; the
Americans were on the offensive, and U.S. fighters mostly battled
enemy fighters.

It seems to me that the Germans and Japanese had a lot more cannon in their
planes than the Americans who seemed to rely almost totally on .50 machine
guns.

Why was that? What was the rate of fire or the 20mm cannons and what type
of projectiles did they fire?

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (requires authentication)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old March 9th 04, 01:10 AM
pendell

"zxcv" wrote in message ...
It seems to me that the Germans and Japanese had a lot more cannon in their
planes than the Americans who seemed to rely almost totally on .50 machine
guns.

Why was that? What was the rate of fire or the 20mm cannons and what type
of projectiles did they fire?

Question for the group at large ...

.... did it have anything to do with the fact that the Germans were
gunning for B-17s and such, and therefore needed a weapon that had a
low rate of fire and less accuracy but a heavy punch? Whereas the
Americans, whose fighters mostly did escort over europe, needed a
weapon with better accuracy and a higher rof?

Just curious.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
Old March 9th 04, 06:52 AM
Tony Williams

"zxcv" wrote in message ...
It seems to me that the Germans and Japanese had a lot more cannon in their
planes than the Americans who seemed to rely almost totally on .50 machine
guns.

Why was that? What was the rate of fire or the 20mm cannons and what type
of projectiles did they fire?

See: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/WW2guneffect.htm for full details
of WW2 fighter guns and ammunition, and a comparison of their
effectiveness.

As other responders have said, the .50 was a good gun which met USAAF
needs (although the USN would have preferred to make more use of the
20mm). Other nations preferred to use cannon as they were more
destructive, even when (like the USSR) they had a good HMG available.

Tony Williams
Military gun and ammunition website: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk
Discussion forum at: http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/
Old March 9th 04, 07:28 AM
ArtKramr

Subject: WWII 20mm cannon in planes
From: (Tony Williams)
Date: 3/8/04 9:52 PM Pacific Standard Time
"zxcv" wrote in message
[...]

Seems lik there was a lot of indecision about our use of canons, When we were
told that our Marauders were being replaced by Invaders they also announced
that the Invaders would come with a 75mm cannon mounted in the nose. We got
the Invaders OK but nary a cannon in sight, We didn't have much to complain
about since it had 14 50's firing forward. But I alway s looked forward to
using that 75mm cannon and was sorry when they didn't arrive, I think one
reason was it had to be hand fed by a guy in the right seat which would have
given it a very slow rate of fire.When we flew warhead A-26's I was the guy in
the right seat. I only flew in the nose on Norden equipped models.II sure
would have loved to have had the 75mm cannon to play with. (sigh)

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer