Bible-beater pilots

Old November 22nd 03, 01:43 AM
Pixel Dent

In article 0Zuvb.269248$Fm2.282647@attbi_s04,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Oh great, now I'm getting "join your local church" and prayer spam email.

Guess they've given up on me... ;-)

They're just afraid you'll take them up on it ;-)
Old November 22nd 03, 01:44 AM
Richard Hertz

That does not answer my question.

"'Vejita' S. Cousin" wrote in message
In article ,
Richard Hertz wrote:
I've long equated Religion with Mathematics. Each begins with a
hypothesis that cannot be proved or disproved, and everything builds
on that assumption.

and which hypothesis in mathematics can't be proven or shown false that

is
the basis for all other math?

Some would state that the heart of mathmatics is made of truisms. I
disagree but it's a common view.

Old November 22nd 03, 01:46 AM
Richard Hertz

You're kidding right?

"Robert Perkins" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 22:54:42 GMT, "Richard Hertz"
wrote:

and which hypothesis in mathematics can't be proven or shown false that

is
the basis for all other math?

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line."

Every pilot knows the shortest distance is a circle, and a great one
at that. But it's probably safer to fly VOR to VOR if you don't have a
GPS on board.

Rob, attempting topicality. :-D

--
[You] don't make your kids P.C.-proof by keeping them
ignorant, you do it by helping them learn how to

-- Orson Scott Card

Old November 22nd 03, 02:05 AM
Jay Honeck

Jay, no matter WHAT, you are still the all-time champion of this NG when
it
comes to starting long threads. When I logged on (after an incredible 2.3

hr
photo flight today) there were 178 posts in this thread. Unbelievable!

Yeah, well, talk about "damned with faint praise". I'd rather have been on
that flight with you! :-)

Speaking of which, last night it was still 70+ degrees at sunset. As we were
preparing a cookout (in November!) at our hangar (did I mention this is late
NOVEMBER?), the sun was going down and I remarked to Mary that "we really
should take her around the patch on a gorgeous night like this..."

She kind of rolled her eyes, and said "I'm in the middle of making dinner --
why don't you take Becca?" Usually my ten year old is lukewarm toward
flying, but this night the thought of flying in the front seat with Dad (and
getting out of doing her math homework!) made her enthusiastic.

After a short pre-flight, we were soon at the end of RWY 25, facing the inn,
and doing our run-up. There were two students working the pattern in 152s,
so we had a minute to bask in the ambience of our toasty warm, good smelling
(new leather, mmmmmm :-) plane, listening to the reassuring thrum of those
six cylinders while watching the first student flounder from base to final.
After observing a passable bounce and go, we trundled out onto the runway
for departure.

Once the 152 was out to a reasonable distance, I gradually pushed in the
throttle, enjoying the sights, sounds, and feel of a fine machine
transforming from earth to sky. The power of those 235 horses never fails
to satisfy, and with just Becca in the right seat we fairly leapt off the
runway! Within moments we were climbing at 1200+ feet per minute, right
through 500 AGL, and rapidly over-taking the 152 ahead.

Extending my pattern, and throttling waaaay back, we fell into line behind
the little Cessna. The lights below were just twinkling on, as the sun was
rapidly sinking below the horizon. My daughter sat entranced, her nose up
against the window, enjoying the sight of her hometown unrolling beneath
her...

Flying a 747 pattern, allowing for the much slower 152s to do their touch
and goes, we gradually came around on final. The air was still now, like
molasses, and Atlas slid down the glideslope as if on invisible rails.
Touching down EVER so gently, first left, than right, chirping, I added just
enough power to prevent the nosewheel from touching.

Doing a wheelie for 2000 feet, I gradually added power and we arched back up
into the sky, only to do it all over again...

What a great night to be alive!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 22nd 03, 02:10 AM
Jay Honeck

Oh great, now I'm getting "join your local church" and prayer spam
email.

Guess they've given up on me... ;-)

They're just afraid you'll take them up on it ;-)

How's that go: "I wouldn't want to belong to any church that would have me
as a member."?

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 22nd 03, 02:11 AM
L Smith

Goedel (I think) has proven that in any rational system there will be
true statements that
cannot be proven by recourse only to that system. Put another way, there
are questions
that God doesn't know the answer to.

Rich Lemert

Old November 22nd 03, 02:45 AM
Brian Burger

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Wdtabor wrote:

Get a grip, Larry. I'm sincerely afraid to share the airspace with guys who
think someone Else is steering...
--

My sister-in-law had one of those "God is my co-pilot" bumper stickers. She got
really ****ed when I pointed out that if God wrapped it around a tree, he'd be

"God was my co-pilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat
Him."

I've actually seen this on stuff online - tshirts, stickers, something
like that. It suits me!

Brian.
Old November 22nd 03, 02:47 AM
Don Tuite

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:22:32 -0800, Jim Weir wrote:

Dunno. I was wearing one of those black dresses with the white blouse at the
time. I always saw him from the front {;-)

Maybe at the Lavabo. But you had to be behind him to hold up the
chasuble and tinkle the bell.

Don
Old November 22nd 03, 02:49 AM
StellaStar

in any rational system there will be
true statements that
cannot be proven by recourse only to that system. Put another way, there
are questions
that God doesn't know the answer to.

Isaac Asimov, a very smart man, said "I prefer rationalism to atheism. The
question of God and other objects-of-faith are outside reason and play no part
in rationalism, thus you don't have to waste your time in either attacking or
defending."

Since I was told the books placed in motel rooms are free for the taking for
those who wish to read them, I have a Book of Mormon. And a Talmud, and a
Koran, several books on comparative religion, and several Bibles including a
Catholic Bible (which has different Commandments, BTW) I read in one that you
are to pray at home in private. I tell people that when they wish to bother me
with their versions of faith.
Old November 22nd 03, 02:50 AM
Brian Burger

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Tom S. wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
So be nice to those missionaries. The person you are being polite to

might
just be yourself. :-)

Augh! Paradox! Illogic!

Must...sterilize...sterilize...sterilize...

I.....AM.....NOMAD.
--

Hey, Jay...put copies of "Atlas Shrugged" in the drawers next to the Gideon
Bibles; that'll freak 'em out.

Nope, do the same with an English translation of the Koran. That'll
*REALLY* get people excited.

Or be fair: equal numbers of KJV Bibles, translated Korans, Torahs, and
one or two others; guests take potluck on what religious propaganda
they've got in their rooms!

Hey, I'm an agnostic, they'll all equally unprovable!

Brian.