$200 pulse oximeter for monitoring your oxygen saturation

Old November 10th 04, 08:44 PM
Eric Greenwell

Default $200 pulse oximeter for monitoring your oxygen saturation

I came across what looks like a really nifty pulse oximeter:

http://www.scantechmedical.com/spo_medical.htm

At $200US, there seems to be little excuse not to have one when flying
with oxygen. Has anyone used one, or have more information on it than at
this web site?

I think the Minolta Pulsox-3 is still the most desirable overall,
especially for winter wave flying where the pilot is wearing gloves, but
the cheapest I can find it is still $499US.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old November 10th 04, 09:47 PM
Ray Lovinggood

I've not flown in wave, yet, but I would guess the
cockpit could get rather cold. The spec sheet for
this oximeter shows the operating range from 39 degrees
F to 109 degrees F.

Can cockpit temps drop lower than 39 F at oxygen altitudes?

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina USA

Old November 10th 04, 10:25 PM
COLIN LAMB

Question - will the reading of the pulse oximeter discriminate against
carbon monoxide?

In other words, does the use of a pulse oximeter reduce the need of a carbon
monoxide detector? If carbon monoxide replaces oxygen, then the % of oxygen
would decrease and the oximeter would drop substantially when carbon
monoxide is present? Right?

Colin N12HS

---

Old November 10th 04, 11:34 PM
Stefan

COLIN LAMB wrote:

Question - will the reading of the pulse oximeter discriminate against
carbon monoxide?

Why this question? Gliders tend to fly carbon monoxyde free, so I don't
see the problem. Unless you smoke, of course, but smoking while
breathing pure oxygen is not really recommended.

Stefan

Old November 11th 04, 12:32 AM
Mal

http://www.craggyaero.com/Oxygen.htm

Looks smaller at flight level 240 it was minus 24 C and I had gloves on it
was bloody cold I do not think I would take the gloves or glove off to see
my saturation.

The best thing when wave flying is to breath oxygen for a hour before the
flight or going above 8000 ft thus saturating your body with oxygen.

It worked for me http://www.mals.net/bunyan04/pages/Picture%20001.htm

Old November 11th 04, 12:41 AM
COLIN LAMB

Hello Stefan:

Since I do not live on top of a cliff, I need to launch my sailplane. One
of the methods I use is self-launch, in which case I have an engine in front
of me. It is only when the engine is on that I have any concern about
carbon monoxide. And, I might even have the heater on.

Not wishing to be unsportsmanlike, though, I have a policy of turning the
engine off during periods of sink. And, I make sure that I never smile when
the engine is on.

Colin N12HS

---

Old November 11th 04, 03:19 AM
Larry Goddard

Ray, just a thought, but the warmth from your hand might keep it well
above that temperature... even though your fingers sometimes feel like
they are going to break off.

Old November 11th 04, 04:05 AM
Bill Daniels

Pulse oxymeters need warm fingers with a good blood flow to get a reading.
Clip on units like this require that you remove a glove to use it - not a
good idea in a wave. I'd pass.

I use a unit that has a sensor on a cord. The sensor and cord can go under
a glove. The display unit attaches to my arm with a Velcro strap. How cold
can it get in a wave? I've seen -55F.

Bill Daniels

Old November 11th 04, 04:16 AM
Eric Greenwell

Ray Lovinggood wrote:
I've not flown in wave, yet, but I would guess the
cockpit could get rather cold. The spec sheet for
this oximeter shows the operating range from 39 degrees
F to 109 degrees F.

Can cockpit temps drop lower than 39 F at oxygen altitudes?

They can, and I've 10F or so inside when it's -20 outside. I'm sure it
will work at least 10 degrees below it's spec, or more, as is common for
electronic equipment. My Ipaq is rated to 32F, and it was working fine
in that 10F cockpit I mentioned, but you can't count on everything doing
that well. Thus the hope someone had experience with these.

Of course, most of my oxygen flying isn't in temperatures that cold, so
it would be useful the majority of the time.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old November 11th 04, 04:22 AM
Eric Greenwell

Bill Daniels wrote:

Pulse oxymeters need warm fingers with a good blood flow to get a reading.
Clip on units like this require that you remove a glove to use it - not a
good idea in a wave. I'd pass.

I don't mind doing that occasionally, as I already stick a fingertip out
of my mitten to change the radio or poke the Ipaq.

I use a unit that has a sensor on a cord. The sensor and cord can go under
a glove. The display unit attaches to my arm with a Velcro strap.

Which unit are you using, and which unit do you wish you had? I've seen
the Minolta Pulsox-3, which looks ideal except for costing 2.5 times as
much.

How cold
can it get in a wave? I've seen -55F.

Not me. I like to stop around 0F, though I'll occasionally splurge and
go as high as -20F outside (it's warmer inside, of course). Even that
makes my feet cold and gets me worrying about the gel coat.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA