Download Volkslogger IGC file to SeeYou SOLVED - updated USBconverter FTDI Driver

Old March 23rd 13, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Default Download Volkslogger IGC file to SeeYou SOLVED - updated USBconverter FTDI Driver

Suddenly, this season after my first flight, I was unable to download flight logs from my Volkslogger (VL) using SeeYou (v4.31). At first, I thought it was a broken version of SeeYou (having updated last Fall after my last flight).

Turns out, the USB serial converter from usconverters.com Mini Pro needed a driver update probably to be compatible with something else in the system or the SeeYou version change (who knows?). The FTDI driver was at 2.8.14.0 on one notebook (2011) and the other at 2.8.24.0 (2012). When I updated to the latest 2.8.28.0 dated 1/18/2013, suddenly everything started working! These devices have been ultra reliable and I still highly recommend them if you still rely on serial com port devices.

Hope this saves a few of you from a day of fiddling with your electronics.

BTW, I'm keeping my VL because: 1) It's a full IGC capable logger 2) works well with the SN10B 3) I already own it and am trying to avoid a $620 Nano logger as a replacement. My other IGC logger will be the PowerFlarm at v2.72 when it comes out... hopefully REAL SOON NOW.

Walt Rogers, WX
Old March 23rd 13, 11:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen

Walt,
do you have RJ45 type connector in your Volkslogger? If you have,
do you have spec for the connector pin numbering, or can you
advice me where to find it. XCSoar is now fully supporting
Volkslogger (both declaration and log file download), and I would
like to add this information into Soartronic web page.
-kimmo

Old March 23rd 13, 07:36 PM
Brad Alston Brad Alston is offline
Member

Location: Salt Lake City, UT USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmo Hytoenen View Post
Walt,
do you have RJ45 type connector in your Volkslogger? If you have,
do you have spec for the connector pin numbering, or can you
advice me where to find it. XCSoar is now fully supporting
Volkslogger (both declaration and log file download), and I would
like to add this information into Soartronic web page.
-kimmo
Kimmo,

Paul Remde has documented the VL RJ45 pinout here http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/garrecht.htm

Brad.
Old March 23rd 13, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Should have added... that I'm running Windows Premium 64bit on my desktop and notebooks. Perhaps the problem with the USB Serial converter device driver is unique to Win7 64bit.

Walt Rogers