A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

PowerFlarm at Region 9 Contest

Old June 15th 13, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K
external usenet poster

Default PowerFlarm at Region 9 Contest

On Saturday, June 15, 2013 2:24:13 AM UTC-6, wrote:

Of the vario/nav systems I'm interested in I've been told the LX 7007C Basic won't display PowerFLARM but the LX 8080 Simple will. That's probably the one I'm going to buy. I'll still be using the dedicated 57mm Butterfly display with it.

A dedicated display is good. You owe it to yourself to compare the LXNav Flarmview. Better audio and more features than the Butterfly.
Old June 17th 13, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Hi,

the pilot in the foto linked below might believe he's flying alone
with just his buddy around.

http://www.flarm.com/pics/eye_limita...the-danger.png

Try to identify the threat in the first image. You have
an estimated 8 seconds until impact.

Best
--Gerhard (FLARM dev mgr)

Solution:
http://www.flarm.com/pics/eye_limitations/solution.png

You suggested the opposite in your earlier post Dan. I quote:

"I generally fly alone or with one other glider and then we're in
constant communication. If we lose sight, we leave the thermal.

Old June 17th 13, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Mueller
external usenet poster

Gerhart, that was an excellent example.

Old June 17th 13, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Andy,

of course you're raising valid points.Two things, however:
- As others have pointed out, there's no relative motion before impact
(CBDR---constant bearing, decreasing range).
- Given a video, I might have tasked you with focussing on your buddy for the next 8
seconds or so, e.g. to allow you to join him in the thermal. Compare to the
following video. Follow the spoken instructions, reading the comments may spoil
the experience!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=vJG698U2Mvo#!

I know---8M views, many of you have probably seen it already. For those
who haven't --- enjoy!

Best
--Gerhard (FLARM dev mgr)
Old June 18th 13, 09:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

"A dedicated display is good. You owe it to yourself to compare the LXNav Flarmview. Better audio and more features than the Butterfly."

The only PowerFLARM dedicated display which will fit my panel without extensive alterations to the panel itself and changes to the pneumatic instruments to make room is the 57mm Butterfly so I'll have to go with it regardless of any advantages the others have.

If anyone else made a 57mm display I would certainly give it consideration - actually, a complete PowerFLARM built into a unit with a 57mm display would be ideal for my purposes as it would avoid the work required to build a mount on top of the radio bracket to accommodate the Core. I doubt anything like that will ever be made however.
Old June 19th 13, 07:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 1:23:29 AM UTC-7, wrote:
"A dedicated display is good. You owe it to yourself to compare the LXNav Flarmview. Better audio and more features than the Butterfly."

The only PowerFLARM dedicated display which will fit my panel without extensive alterations to the panel itself and changes to the pneumatic instruments to make room is the 57mm Butterfly so I'll have to go with it regardless of any advantages the others have.

If anyone else made a 57mm display I would certainly give it consideration - actually, a complete PowerFLARM built into a unit with a 57mm display would be ideal for my purposes as it would avoid the work required to build a mount on top of the radio bracket to accommodate the Core. I doubt anything like that will ever be made however.

I see many go through special effort the mount the core. The core is so light you can just use industrial velcro. Mine is holding very well.

Ramy
Old June 19th 13, 12:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:00:38 AM UTC-6, Ramy wrote:

I see many go through special effort the mount the core. The core is so light you can just use industrial velcro. Mine is holding very well.

Where I come from we use duct tape for that (Kidding ). My portable was bolted to a Williams mount which was velcro'd to the glaresheild and my core is mounted with velcro as well. The mounting tabs on the core sure are nice and Ive seen some interesting (In a good way) mounts.
Old June 19th 13, 01:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 2:23:29 AM UTC-6, wrote:

My FlarmView sits on the edge of the glaresheild. I made a mount out of lexan (Or polycarbonate) which you can bend in a sheet metal break just like aluminum or steel. Dont try this with plexiglass because it will shatter if you try to bend it. Easy to work with and I used some to make a shelf behind the panel for mounting accessories like antennas speaker etc.. Having the display where you don't have to look down into your cockpit helps when you are trying to spot traffic and it is sunlight readable. PM me and I can send you a picture of the mount.