Bay Area GA Airports..

Old September 11th 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_1_]

Default Bay Area GA Airports..

All,

I'm going to the Bay area in October and I have heard that Oakland is
very GA friendly, is that still the case?

My main destinations are San Francisco and San Jose. I have also
considered SQL which looks closer, but the ILS and other facilities at
OAK might make it a bit easier for someone unfamilar with the area.
What about SJC?

Thoughts?

--Dan

Old September 11th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_1_]

Almost forgot, I am probably going to arrive IFR, even if the weather
is clear as it is easier in complex airspace. Any recommendations?
Should I expect delays at OAK?

--Dan

Old September 11th 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jack Allison[_1_]

Dan - I'm not a Bay Area pilot but I do fly down there quite a bit.
KOAK has a GA side. Another option is Hayward (KHWD). It's spitting
distance away from KOAK. IIRC, KHWD has an ILS as well. I've only been
into KOAK to pickup a passenger. At KHWD, I stayed overnight. Both
would serve you well as they are very close.

KSJC is expensive for parking and gas. I've been into both KOAK and
KHWD and both were a piece of cake for a VFR arrival. The air space in
that end of the bay is a bit more complex but not really a big deal.
Arriving IFR is a good idea, though both KOAK and KHWD can easily be
done VFR. The local TRACON (Norcal approach) controllers should treat
you well, no matter if you're IFR or VFR.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado

Old September 11th 06, 07:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ray

Jack Allison wrote:
Another option is Hayward (KHWD). It's spitting
distance away from KOAK. IIRC, KHWD has an ILS as well.

Hayward only has a localizer approach but the minimums will easily get
you below the marine layer.

Old September 11th 06, 08:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Dan,

it all depends if you will have a car. KOAK has BART access (kind of).
The others don't really. KPAO is very nice, too, if you have a car.
Sits right in the middle between San Francisco and San Jose.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 12th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
EridanMan

Hey Dan

Bay Area Student Pilot (in the process of re-basing my ship from HWD to
OAK at the moment, actually).

My .02-

KSJC - No clue, never flown there.
KHWD - A low key executive airport, probably the least stress (airspace
wise) to get in and out of in the bay. Copious runway, nice people...
very poor ground transportation. Fuel is oddly expensive. Marine
layers are an issue in the morning and evening.
KOAK - Sprawling, underutilized North field has beyond copious runways.
If you don't mind all the headache of navigating to a Bravo airport.
Northern departure ("Follow the Nimitz Freeway at or below 2000") Is
one of the most beautiful in GA. Cute little air museum, easy car
rental, and BART link. Marine Layers are an issue in the morning and
even.
KPAO - Too crowded for its own good, odd taxi layout, small runway -
but best weather in the bay (with the possible exception of KSJC)...
Least likely to have a problem with a Marine Layer.
KSQL - Never used, but I've heard good things... Cool aviation museum,
decent transportation (Caltrain is arguably better than Bart). Small
runway and somewhat crowded. Marine Layers can be a pretty serious
issue here though.
KSFO - If you have more Dollars then sense (practically no GA
presense... GA section of the field is isolated, obscene landing fees,
they'll hate you for backing up the pattern, etc).

-E Scott Cragg
Cherokee 4261J 'Julie'

Old September 12th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
M[_1_]

Flew the KPAO this June. Enterprise rent-a-car will deliver a rental
car to the airport, and you can do the rental paperwork with the
airport staff. Just reserve with Enterprise at
http://www.enterprise.com/ga, and call that rental office at Palo Alto.

IMHO if your destination is at the west side of the bay and your
aircraft doesn't need a lot of runway, PAO is ideal.

Old September 12th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
M[_1_]

BTW you can drop off the car there as well. PAO will also let you
drive onto the ramp next to your aircraft to load/unload. A big plus.

Old September 12th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
M[_1_]

BTW, anyone knows what the overnight parking fee at HWD and OAK are
these days, for a piston single?

Old September 13th 06, 06:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jack Allison[_1_]

M wrote:
BTW, anyone knows what the overnight parking fee at HWD and OAK are
these days, for a piston single?

A couple years ago, the overnight tiedown fee at KHWD was something like
$7. I don't recall exactly. I remember a tad more expensive than the
typical $5 but nothing outrageous.