Oct 24 is our Dec 17

Old October 25th 05, 06:06 AM
John H. Campbell

Default Oct 24 is our Dec 17

Happy birthday, soaring. The "first" soaring flight was the 9 minutes and
45 seconds of hovering over Kitty Hawk dunes by Orville Wright, in the
Wright "No. 5" glider on October 24, 1911. This was no milestone on the way
to powered flight, "started" on December 17, 1903 (by Orville also, with
brother Wilbur). By then, Bleriot had flown the English channel, major
airshows had taken place, the Wright aeroplane company was filling plenty of
orders. Yet Orville went soaring. Beating this first FAI glider duration
record took almost 10 years (Wolf Klemperer, 8/30/21, 13:03 min) and was a
major motivation for the Wasserkuppe meetings.

Old October 25th 05, 08:35 AM
Chris Rollings

John, if I didn't know you were an excellent pilot
and instructor, I'd swear you were an Anorak.
Chris.

Old October 25th 05, 12:19 PM
Martin Gregorie

Chris Rollings wrote:
John, if I didn't know you were an excellent pilot
and instructor, I'd swear you were an Anorak.
Chris.

Was it Orville who said in effect "we knew soaring was more fun, but
power flying was where the money was"?

I forget the exact quote or which brother was supposed to have said it.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. |
Old October 25th 05, 04:13 PM
Eric Greenwell

Chris Rollings wrote:
John, if I didn't know you were an excellent pilot
and instructor, I'd swear you were an Anorak.

I think that inside almost every glider pilot, there is an Anorak trying
to get out. I know I have to suppress my inner Anorak constantly, and
not always successfully, I might add (but RAS knows that already). By
the way, I love the British term "Anorak". Dictionary.com won't give you
thier defintion, however, but maybe there is FAQ on a UK gliding website
that does.

Happy birthday, soaring. The 'first' soaring flight
was the 9 minutes and
45 seconds of hovering over Kitty Hawk dunes by Orville
Wright, in the
Wright 'No. 5' glider on October 24, 1911. This was
no milestone on the way
to powered flight, 'started' on December 17, 1903 (by
Orville also, with
brother Wilbur). By then, Bleriot had flown the English
channel, major
airshows had taken place, the Wright aeroplane company
was filling plenty of
orders. Yet Orville went soaring. Beating this first
FAI glider duration
record took almost 10 years (Wolf Klemperer, 8/30/21,
13:03 min) and was a
major motivation for the Wasserkuppe meetings.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old October 25th 05, 05:04 PM
Udo Rumpf

I think that inside almost every glider pilot, there is an Anorak trying
to get out. I know I have to suppress my inner Anorak constantly

If I remember correctly the term Anorak was used to describe a jacket,
as for example a light weight Parka.
What other uses does it have?
Udo
Old October 25th 05, 06:44 PM
01-- Zero One

"Udo Rumpf" wrote in message
:

I think that inside almost every glider pilot, there is an Anorak trying
to get out. I know I have to suppress my inner Anorak constantly

If I remember correctly the term Anorak was used to describe a jacket,
as for example a light weight Parka.
What other uses does it have?
Udo

Here's what Google came up with using the search criteria "define:
anorak"

Definitions of anorak on the Web:

* a waterproof jacket of cloth or plastic, usually with a hood, of a
kind originally used in polar regions; a parka.
http://www.artistwd.com/joyzine/aust...strine/a-5.php
http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&start=0&oi=define&q=http://www.artistwd.com/joyzine/australia/strine/a-5.php
* Loose, hooded garment of fabric or fur worn in Arctic regions and
adapted from the Eskimo original.
www.fashionfix.net/storefront.asp
http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&start=1&oi=define&q=http://www.fashionfix.net/storefront.asp%3FpgID%3D13
* parka: a kind of heavy jacket (`windcheater' is a British term)
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&start=2&oi=define&q=http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn%3Fs%3Danorak
* An anorak or parka is a type of heavy jacket with a hood, generally
lined with fur or fun fur, so as to protect the face from a combination
of sub-zero temperatures and wind. Although of Inuit origin, the word
"anorak" is mainly used in Britain, while "parka" is the almost
universal name in the United States and Canada. "Parka" is used
interchangeably with anorak in Britain. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorak
http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&start=3&oi=define&q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorak
* In British slang, anorak has come to mean "geek" or "nerd", for
example from the use of anoraks as the invariable wear of train
spotters, and then by extension to refer to anyone with an unfathomable
interest in detailed information regarded as boring by the rest of the
population - aided by the intuition that only a geek would wear
something so terminally unfashionable.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorak_(slang)
http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&start=4&oi=define&q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorak_%28slang%29
* Anorak is a British parody on a tabloid. Its slogan is "Keeping an eye
on the tabloids". Some claim Anorak is a real newspaper.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorak_(newspaper)
http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&start=5&oi=define&q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorak_%28newspaper%29

Old October 28th 05, 11:07 PM
Raphael Warshaw

Eric:

Amazing what can be found on the web:

Anorak, a term of abuse
A.no.rak noun. [Esk. (Greenland) anoraq] a heavy jacket with a hood.

In the UK this form of coat was worn by all children in the 1970s, but worn
now only by socially dysfunctional adults who still wear the trousers they
wore to school (despite the fact they never covered their ankles even back
when they were 14 years old).

also

Train.spo.tting verb. [UK] the activity of recording with pen and paper, the
serial numbers from the side of railway locomotives.

Trainspotting was a common childhood pursuit of British children in the
post-war period, it comes under that category of hobbies that involve
collecting. It is possible to buy books listing the serial numbers of all
the railway rolling stock in the country and then check off each one as it
is seen. Adults who practice this activity are naturally seen as dull, and
immature, because the majority of people find other pursuits more attractive
once they have passed the legal age for sex and alcohol.

These two phenomena in British society have given rise to a new use for the
term 'anorak' (an article of clothing often worn by 'trainspotters') to mean
any dull individual, or someone with a boring hobby.

Raphael Warshaw

Old October 25th 05, 01:59 PM
Nils Hoeimyr

Well, the German Otto Lillienthal was soaring 10 years before the Wright
brothers and the Wright brothers were indeed inspired by him.

http://www.lilienthal-museum.de/olma/ehome.htm

Nils

Old October 25th 05, 10:45 PM
Bela

Nils, do you really believe that gliding = soaring???
Bela

Old October 26th 05, 03:28 AM

Nils Hoeimyr wrote:
Well, the German Otto Lillienthal was soaring 10 years before the Wright
brothers and the Wright brothers were indeed inspired by him.

As I recall Otto did not do any soaring, i.e sustained flight. His
flights were more or less straight glides tho he did encounter thermals
once in a while.

Plicher in England predates Lillienthal for making straight glides and
even may be credited with being the first to use a yaw string.

Robert Mudd