Spot Landings

Old November 6th 08, 07:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Spot Landings

On Nov 5, 1:31*pm, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:

Robert
Get over yourself! Lets regale everyone about flying 20' over the
water and 200' in a J-3. What does that have to do with improving
anything here? What is your definition of a "real airplane"? You just
having a bad day?

It just seems ashame. We used to have students post problems and we
would offer them solutions. Now you're posting a solution that is
looking for a problem. I just think its a sad commentary on this group
that we have to find problems for solutions because there isn't enough
real aviation going on to stimulate discussion about actual student
problems.

-Robert, CFII

Old November 6th 08, 08:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
I must be missing something.

No, you're missing a lot of things.

Old November 6th 08, 08:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
On Nov 5, 2:15 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Nov 5, 6:31 am, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:

Can you land to a spot within 100' of the designated spot without
power? If not you should do some serious practice or get some good
training until you can. What happened to the old time spot landing
contests that were taking place regularly on weekends?
It appears that Pilot Proficiency has gone down the tubes in favor of
technology.

Where is this coming from? Is this what this group has degraded to?
All we get is spam, MX, and posts about hypothetical situations. Am I
the only one here still flying a real airplane?

-Robert, CFII

Rocky likes to float these little teasers out here for people to play
with. It's a totally viable teaching technique and I did it all
through my tenure in aviation.
You may prefer things done another way, but I would HARDLY call it
spam, or insinuate that Rocky doesn't fly real airplanes. Now Mxemanix
is another matter entirely :-)))
Dudley Henriques

No it not. It's just Rocky's way of setting around singing "How Great I Art"
because he doesn't have a life. You know, a lot like you.

Old November 6th 08, 08:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
On Nov 5, 1:31 pm, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:

Robert
Get over yourself! Lets regale everyone about flying 20' over the
water and 200' in a J-3. What does that have to do with improving
anything here? What is your definition of a "real airplane"? You just
having a bad day?

It just seems ashame. We used to have students post problems and we
would offer them solutions. Now you're posting a solution that is
looking for a problem. I just think its a sad commentary on this group
that we have to find problems for solutions because there isn't enough
real aviation going on to stimulate discussion about actual student
problems.

-Robert, CFII

It's because a very small group of closed mind control freaks (most over the
hill and without a life), insist on controlling every aspect of this group.
And since they all firmly believe they know all the answers, there is very
little left to talk about, except how great they are.

Old November 6th 08, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 11:15:07 -0800 (PST), "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

On Nov 5, 6:31*am, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:
Can you land to a spot within 100' of the designated spot without
power? If not you should do some serious practice or get some good
training until you can. What happened to the old time spot landing
contests that were taking place regularly on weekends?
It appears that Pilot Proficiency has gone down the tubes in favor of
technology.

Where is this coming from? Is this what this group has degraded to?
All we get is spam, MX, and posts about hypothetical situations. Am I
the only one here still flying a real airplane?

-Robert, CFII

I've been out flying the Tailwind twice in the last week.
sad isnt it to see this level of armchair waffle.
Stealth Pilot
Old November 6th 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike

"Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote in message

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
I must be missing something.

No, you're missing a lot of things.

.....sez Maxie, the non-pilot.

This makes three posts in this thread alone with nothing to offer other than
his usual mindless Okie blather. I have little doubt he'll be up to a few
dozen in no time flat.

Old November 6th 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike

"BT" wrote in message
Plopping does not count except for back country strips where it is
needed..
Nor does the technique of dropping the Johnson Bar to the floor count..
Smooth roll on landings please..

Count in whose book? With just a small surplus of energy to enable a bit of
float, combined with dumping the flaps at the right moment, one can hit a
very precise point and get a smooth roll. It's simply a matter of managing
energy and the plane's capabilities. Since the point of the exercise is to
show off short field or off field landing skills, I say use whatever
aerodynamic properties the aircraft has to your advantage. Your reasoning
makes as much sense as telling a glider pilot they can't use their spoilers.
Furthermore if you ever have a real dead stick landing, knowing how to use
your flaps in such a situation is very handy indeed and could make the
difference between a reusable aircraft or a smoking crater.

Old November 6th 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike

"Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote in message

[...]

No, we just firmly believe you don't know ANY of the answers, Okie, and you
reinforce that belief with each of your posts. So you shouldn't confuse
your limitless ignorance as arrogance on behalf of others.

So what brings you back, Maxie? Did you finally figure out what your
momma's password was? I bet that really ****ed you off when she changed it.

Old November 6th 08, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2008-11-05 14:50:32 -0800, Bertie the Bunyip said:

C J Campbell wrote in

On 2008-11-05 06:31:18 -0800, "Ol Shy & Bashful"
said:

Can you land to a spot within 100' of the designated spot without
power? If not you should do some serious practice or get some good
training until you can. What happened to the old time spot landing
contests that were taking place regularly on weekends?
It appears that Pilot Proficiency has gone down the tubes in favor of
technology.

They are still required for the commercial pilot ticket.

Without power?

Bertie

Power off 180 degree accuracy landing.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old November 6th 08, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

On Nov 6, 1:30*am, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Nov 5, 1:31*pm, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:

Robert
Get over yourself! Lets regale everyone about flying 20' over the
water and 200' in a J-3. What does that have to do with improving
anything here? What is your definition of a "real airplane"? You just
having a bad day?

It just seems ashame. We used to have students post problems and we
would offer them solutions. Now you're posting a solution that is
looking for a problem. I just think its a sad commentary on this group
that we have to find problems for solutions because there isn't enough
real aviation going on to stimulate discussion about actual student
problems.

-Robert, CFII

What the devil IS your problem? This is absolutely normal procedure
for ANY competent CFI. It's done all the time.
I don't know what your problem is with this poster but he is doing
nothing improper, either from the instructor, OR the forum point of
view.
Dudley Henriques

SPOT on Tuno Soaring 0 May 15th 08 09:36 PM
See SPOT run... [email protected] Soaring 11 April 30th 08 08:57 PM
SPOT GPS jeplane Soaring 17 February 5th 08 06:23 AM
SPOT D.Rizzato General Aviation 0 February 5th 08 02:04 AM
Night landings vs. day landings Gerald Sylvester Piloting 15 February 12th 04 07:38 AM