Do you crab or forward slip in X wind landings

Old February 27th 17, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Do you crab or forward slip in X wind landings

At 3;23 of this video is a great shot of a DG 1001 (?) in a slip. Â*Great video too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQhXRBsIXrg

On Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 5:13:46 PM UTC-8, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 16:37:51 -0800, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

At 3;23 of this video is a great shot of a DG 1001 (?) in a slip. Great
video too.

URL please.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Old February 27th 17, 07:47 AM
POPS POPS is offline
Member

Yaw string and coordination in big Xwind landings is my question, with a real life experience that happened to me... I still wonder if I did the right thing 3 years ago. Could someone in the know talk about the lack of any coordination in these situations?

After returning to the field at 3500' agl, the wind had turned on final, 90 degrees to the left across the only possible place to land, on a plowed dirt strip. AWOS had the wind solid at 20 gusting to 28. I lingered as long as I could but the massive cell to the east was not moving or letting up. Nothing but rough desert landscape everywhere and altitude winding down.

Field partially disappearing in dust at 800 ft. I set speed at 70 kts, turned base into the wind, then final and into a deep forward slip, windward wing down, way down, but not quite holding my target from drifting away from me to windward. The yaw string was aligned nearly 70 degrees across the canopy which Really got me alarmed. I was calm, pretty smooth and super focused. Out of the slip and into a huge crap, no problem. Yaw string was now about 30-40 degrees out with my wings level crab at maybe 30 degrees to the left. Had control of my target now with partial spoilers. Field length maybe 500 yards long or so. I went to the deck and released rudder and flared, lowered my left wing tip a bit I think. Did a wheel landing at maybe 40, full spoilers and into breaks as the field seemed to be getting short. Wind got under my left wing and put the leeward wing down into the dirt at 15+ kts or so on the roll out. Lost the wing tip skid but held it mostly straight with my big rudder.
I heard conflicting advice and comments about coordination and this landing.
Sorry for the long post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gregorie[_5_] View Post
On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 13:03:59 -0800, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

Do you crab or forward slip landing in x-winds and why? When I was
taught how to fly an airplane the crab method was used when I
transitioned to gliders my instructor emphasized forward slip over crab.
Years later I have established my procedures, but I thought this might
be a useful discussion for newer pilots.

Standard UK training, at least when I learnt and I haven't heard any
different from our instructors since, is to crab with wings level on
approach and kick the glider straight just before touchdown. Another
point is that we are taught to do fully held-off landings regardless of
the size and surface of the club field on the grounds that its the only
sensible way to land out, so we should be able to do it well. I think the
two are related because this keeps the wings level while speed bleeds off
and its fairly easy to kick the glider straight as it settles. If you
also manage a neat two-pointer you can award yourself brownie points as
well as knowing that this will help to keep the glider running straight
despite any cross-wind.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old February 27th 17, 10:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

'Martin Gregorie[_5_ Wrote:
;939235']On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 13:03:59 -0800, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
-
[...]

Why would your yaw string be 30 - 40 degrees to one side in a crab? It should be dead straight.
Old February 27th 17, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

'Martin Gregorie[_5_ Wrote:
[...]

if your yaw string was out 30-40 degrees, you were either turning uncoordinated with rudder only, or if you were not turning, you had some opposite aileron in, which would mean you were still slipping.

other than that, sounds about right. perhaps after you touched down, using your big rudder you could have maintained your heading and held your upwind wing down a bit to prevent the ground loop?

Old February 27th 17, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Sounds like you did a good job!

Don't be so concerned about uncoordinated flight so long as you keep
your airspeed up sufficiently that any gust won't cause a stall and,
should it happen, always be prepared to dump the nose (reduce angle of
attack significantly). And there's no reason not to land perpendicular
to the furrows in a plowed field. Sure, it'll be rough, but plowed dirt
is soft and you'll slow quickly. You'll also have a very low ground
speed given the wind.

Dan

'Martin Gregorie[_5_ Wrote:
[...]

Dan, 5J
Old February 27th 17, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Monday, February 27, 2017 at 2:43:08 AM UTC-5, POPS wrote:
[...]

"Released rudder and flared" doesn't make sense.

The crab maneuver should be coordinated as previously mentioned. Rudder neutral, string centered.

The flare and landing is what isn't coordinated. Downwind rudder. Aileron into the wind as required to keep that upwind wing as low as you can.

best,
Evan Ludeman / T8
Old February 27th 17, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

And there's no reason not to land perpendicular
to the furrows in a plowed field. Sure, it'll be rough, but plowed

dirt
is soft and you'll slow quickly. You'll also have a very low ground
speed given the wind.

Dan

That is unless you happen to be flying out of Rieti in Italy.. They
use D-8 bulldozers to pull the plows through hardened clay, leaving
plowed up solid chunks about 1 foot across. The plowed fields
there were an absolute nightmare during the 1985 WGC. Loads of
off-field landing damages..

You have to know the nature of the countryside which you are flying
over.. If it's a fresh-plowed field in an area where there is some
moisture in the ground, then maybe it might work. If the area is
more arid, or if it isn't fresh plowed and has been left to sit and
harden, you will likely rip the gear off your glider - at the least....

Better to look at the edges of the field if it's large enough. There
may be furrows oriented into the wind there where the tractors
have had to change direction. Good examples are the crop circles
in the USA. They uses a circular irrigation rig, but the corners of
those fields are generally plowed straight, and are long enough for
a glider to land on.
You can also select the corner which provides the best landing
direction related to the wind...

It's always best to not be forced into only one land-out option where
you don't have a choice with crosswinds, etc. You have to make
those decisions earlier in the courses you select and the altitude
minimums which you decide that you can live with....

RO

Old February 28th 17, 05:11 AM
POPS POPS is offline
Member

You're right, 'released rudder' doesn't make sense, I meant released the extreme crab angle returning to straight ahead alignment just before flairing. The yaw string never was straight during my 300 yard crabbing final approach. It was extremely windy with the wind 90 degrees across final approach. I was flying straight, not turning, wings level. I did get into full right rudder after touch down too, after being prompted 2 quick times by some mystery quest over the radio!

Dan M said not to worry about coordination in this configuration as long as you keep plenty of air speed, which was my though during this 60 second thrill ride as well.

Thanks for the input. Any additional comments concerning lack of coordination while on final due to big cross wind landing are welcomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Eight View Post

Old February 28th 17, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Well, since you asked... Consider landing diagonally or even
perpendicular (in the extreme) to the runway. Let field and weather
conditions help with the decision. Just don't be hobbled by what you
learned in training since that was conducted during favorable weather.
If you're going to fly in weather that wouldn't be allowed for a solo
student, be prepared to do whatever it takes to land safely.

And have fun!

Dan

Old February 28th 17, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

After a really tough pattern and landing on a very windy day, the pilot stated, "this is a really short field!", the co-pilot then stated, "yep, it is, but it's 5000' wide!"