What's the bi-annual flight review all about?

Old April 14th 09, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

Default What's the bi-annual flight review all about?

What's the bi-annual flight review all about?

I haven't been through one yet.. how tough are they? Is this like a
mini-practical test with stalls, engine outs and a tough verbal exam etc..
or is it more like an informal "Can he still fly an airplane and still
understands the basics?"

--
Dallas
Old April 14th 09, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tim[_7_]

"Dallas" wrote in message

What's the bi-annual flight review all about?

I haven't been through one yet.. how tough are they? Is this like a
mini-practical test with stalls, engine outs and a tough verbal exam etc..
or is it more like an informal "Can he still fly an airplane and still
understands the basics?"

--
Dallas

Everything depends on the individual instructor.

Old April 14th 09, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dallas wrote:

What's the bi-annual flight review all about?

I haven't been through one yet.. how tough are they? Is this like a
mini-practical test with stalls, engine outs and a tough verbal exam etc..
or is it more like an informal "Can he still fly an airplane and still
understands the basics?"

It is mostly up to whoever does it, though in general it is usually
"Can he still fly the airplane safely and legally".

The guy I go to does mostly airspace and airport operations during
the ground part and ATC communications/operations during the flight
portion. If he can find a nearby airport with a crosswind, count on
going there, otherwise he will usually pick a couple of basics such
as S turns, stalls, etc. to see how you handle the airplane.

It is a good time for a refresher on anything you feel weak on
since you have to be there anyway.

It isn't a "test" as there is no failing unless you are a complete
dunce and do something incredibility stupid, dangerous or illegal
that causes the instructor to not sign you off.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old April 14th 09, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

On Apr 14, 2:55*pm, Dallas wrote:
What's the bi-annual flight review all about?

I haven't been through one yet.. *how tough are they? *Is this like a
mini-practical test with stalls, engine outs and a tough verbal exam etc...
or is it more like an informal "Can he still fly an airplane and still
understands the basics?"

--
Dallas

The basic purpose of the review is simply to have an instructor take a
look at your flying, general attitude, and habit patterns to insure a
continuing competence.
For any pilot with no standout issues, the review should be no problem
at all.
My procedure for giving these reviews was to simply tell the pilot I
wanted to see how he/she approached and conducted a normal flight from
beginning to end. I told them to act normally and just to consider me
an "interested observer".
The instructor of course has a criteria that is followed but there is
no reason that this criteria should take the form of intrusion on the
flight unless it becomes necessary.
Just treat the flight as a normal check flight and you'll do just
fine.
Dudley Henriques
Old April 14th 09, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Dallas wrote:

What's the bi-annual flight review all about?

I haven't been through one in over twelve years; you can avoid the thing
altogether by a combination of getting new ratings and participating in the
FAA Wings program (http://www.faasafety.gov/WINGS/)

--Sylvain
Old April 14th 09, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tim[_7_]

"Sylvain" wrote in message
t...
Dallas wrote:

What's the bi-annual flight review all about?

I haven't been through one in over twelve years; you can avoid the thing
altogether by a combination of getting new ratings and participating in
the
FAA Wings program (http://www.faasafety.gov/WINGS/)

--Sylvain

I considered the Wings program, but seemed so much quicker and easier to
just take the BFR.

Old April 15th 09, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Tim" #__#@__.- wrote in message
m...

"Sylvain" wrote in message
t...
Dallas wrote:

What's the bi-annual flight review all about?

I haven't been through one in over twelve years; you can avoid the thing
altogether by a combination of getting new ratings and participating in
the
FAA Wings program (http://www.faasafety.gov/WINGS/)

--Sylvain

I considered the Wings program, but seemed so much quicker and easier to
just take the BFR.

It probably is quicker to just do the BFR. But the idea was to recognize
participation in a greater amount of "continuing ed" and a lot of the wings
seminars are interesting--even for some of us who are not currently
aviating.

Old April 15th 09, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
On Apr 14, 2:55 pm, Dallas wrote:
[...]

-----------new post begins----------

You might even be allowed to go somewhere are consume a burger...

Peter :-)

Old April 15th 09, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Dallas" wrote in message

What's the bi-annual flight review all about?

I haven't been through one yet.. how tough are they? Is this like a
mini-practical test with stalls, engine outs and a tough verbal exam
etc..
or is it more like an informal "Can he still fly an airplane and still
understands the basics?"

Biannual is twice a year.

It's just a "flight review".

No biggie usually but as others have pointed out ymmv.

Ask around about the local instuctors and find one that fits what you want
to do (learn something, just get by, par-tay, etc.) :-)

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old April 15th 09, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk @See My Sig.com wrote in message
"Dallas" wrote in message

What's the bi-annual flight review all about?

I haven't been through one yet.. how tough are they? Is this like a
mini-practical test with stalls, engine outs and a tough verbal exam
etc..
or is it more like an informal "Can he still fly an airplane and still
understands the basics?"

Biannual is twice a year.

It's just a "flight review".

No biggie usually but as others have pointed out ymmv.

Ask around about the local instuctors and find one that fits what you want
to do (learn something, just get by, par-tay, etc.) :-)

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Ti's bienial, and it's every two years.