Another SR22

Old October 26th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Another SR22

gwengler writes:

You're probably right. But the point is, this is not supposed to
happen to Cirrus airplanes! Because as soon as a pilot gets into
trouble he has the option to pull the chute and save the day.

I thought my simulator was supposed to more closely approach real
life, but now it sounds like real life is trying to approach
simulation. If a problem develops, just pull the handle and start a
new game ...

Old October 26th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Stefan writes:

And this is exactly the dangerous mindset.

Agreed. The safe way to fly is as if the parachute didn't exist. You
only pull the parachute when the alternative would be death. If you
are thinking about the parachute all the time, it might make you
reckless.

You see the same thing with antiskid braking systems. People know
they are there and assume that the systems will always stop them
safely, even in slippery conditions. What they overlook is that the
systems don't change the minimum stopping distances--they just help
ensure that those minimums are achievable. If the car can't stop
before hitting the tree, antiskid braking won't help.

Old October 26th 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Terry wrote:
What's with the SR22 crashes? Another one went down Arizona yesterday.

It's the seatbelts. Aircraft manufacturers add those worthless devices to
cars and planes, yet people keep dying in car and plane crashes. Seatbelts
clearly add a false sense of security and are therefore responsible for the
accidents.

(The above is not meant to be taken seriously.)
Old October 26th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Darkwing wrote:
Seems like pilots overestimate the performance of the aircraft to me. With
the chute as "backup" and the advanced electronics I think pilots are
entering into a false sense of security that this advanced aircraft can
handle wahtever you throw at it.

That's pretty much what I arrived at too.

Also it seems like Cirrus is promoting the aircraft to low time, high cash pilots,

While I can't back it up I get that impression too, and my gut tells me
the training might not be adequate for these fast airplanes when being
flown by low time pilots

Maybe I am a wuss but I'm not wild about any aircraft in IMC weather that doesn't have the performance to climb to 25,000 feet. Flying in the **** with a small performance envelope is not inside my comfort zone.

I've been spoiled by the Pilatus and am definitely more on edge when in
IMC in something small & slow. It's definitely an adjustment when
you're used to a 2,000fpm+ climb rate and find yourself in a plane
that's struggling to make 700fpm

Old October 26th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian[_1_]

I have to agree, I think it is very difficult to get in a brand new
Cirrus with a brand new glass panel with moving maps displayes and
understand that it really doesn't have an more capabilty than a 40 year
old Bonanza with 20 year old avionics in it. (Add a Garmin 155 if want
to have all the same capabilty)

Brian

Darkwing wrote:
"Terry" wrote in message
What's with the SR22 crashes? Another one went down Arizona yesterday.

Seems like pilots overestimate the performance of the aircraft to me. With
the chute as "backup" and the advanced electronics I think pilots are
entering into a false sense of security that this advanced aircraft can
handle wahtever you throw at it. Also it seems like Cirrus is promoting the
aircraft to low time, high cash pilots, it is the new Bonanza! I'll stick to
the C172 and occasional trips around the practice area in a C182. Maybe I am
a wuss but I'm not wild about any aircraft in IMC weather that doesn't have
the performance to climb to 25,000 feet. Flying in the **** with a small
performance envelope is not inside my comfort zone.

DW

Old October 26th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Jim Logajan wrote:
It's the seatbelts. Aircraft manufacturers add those worthless devices to
cars and planes ...snip...

I've not heard of this Cirrus/GM relationship...

Old October 26th 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

"Kingfish" wrote:
Jim Logajan wrote:
It's the seatbelts. Aircraft manufacturers add those worthless
devices to cars and planes ...snip...

I've not heard of this Cirrus/GM relationship...

Nor I. Elide the "Aircraft" part so that it states "Manufacturers add those
worthless devices...."

The automatic line-wrapping feature of my newsreader program lead me to a
false sense of security. :-)
Old October 26th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 26 Oct 2006 10:03:56 -0700, "gpsman" wrote
in .com:

http://www.cirrusdesign.com/servicec...22/pdf/20880-=
001InfoManual.pdf
or http://tinyurl.com/sz3sj

Does the POH mention when it may be appropriate to deploy the 'chute?
I thought it was for use in spin recovery.
Old October 26th 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On 26 Oct 2006 10:03:56 -0700, "gpsman" wrote
in .com:

http://www.cirrusdesign.com/servicec...22/pdf/20880-=
001InfoManual.pdf
or http://tinyurl.com/sz3sj

Does the POH mention when it may be appropriate to deploy the 'chute?
I thought it was for use in spin recovery.

From the manual

CAPS Deployment

The Cirrus Airframe Parachute System (CAPS) should be activated in

the event of a life-threatening emergency where CAPS deployment is

determined to be safer than continued flight and landing.

.. WARNING .

CAPS deployment is expected to result in loss of the airframe

and, depending upon adverse external factors such as high

deployment speed, low altitude, rough terrain or high wind

conditions, may result in severe injury or death to the

occupants. Because of this, CAPS should only be activated

when any other means of handling the emergency would not

protect the occupants from serious injury.

.. Caution .

Expected impact in a fully stabilized deployment is equivalent

to a drop from approximately 13 feet.

.. Note .

Several possible scenarios in which the activation of the

CAPS would be appropriate are discussed in Section 10 -

Safety Information, of this Handbook. These include:

.. Mid-air collision

.. Structural failure

.. Loss of control

.. Landing in inhospitable terrain

.. Pilot incapacitation

All pilots should carefully review the information on CAPS

activation and deployment in Section 10 before operating the

airplane.

Old October 26th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_1_]

Does anyone have any info on whether the plane had TKS installed. I
know it's not "known-ice" but hopefully it could help extricate somone
from a situation like this.

--Dan

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 05:17:49 -0700, Terry wrote
in :

What's with the SR22 crashes? Another one went down Arizona yesterday.

It looks like that slick wing doesn't like ice:
http://www.faa.gov/data_statistics/a...a/01_121LD.txt

Trip report: Cirrus SR-22 demo flight Jose Piloting 13 September 22nd 06 11:08 PM
Wing Loadings (was SR22 discussion) john smith Piloting 8 June 23rd 06 11:41 PM
SR22 Spin Recovery gwengler Piloting 9 September 24th 04 07:31 AM
Cirrus SR22 Purchase advice needed. Dennis Owning 170 May 19th 04 04:44 PM
New Cirrus SR22 Lead Time Lenny Sawyer Owning 4 March 6th 04 09:22 AM