HUD view of a near-miss

Old December 12th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
John Weiss

Default HUD view of a near-miss

"Ross Richardson" wrote...

I was once flying over Lake Texoma in North Central Texas at 2500'
( ground elevation is ~ 750') and 3 C-130s went UNDER me. That was
interesting.

I was coasting in (south TX, late 70s) on a published low-level route where
it crossed another one. I was in an A-4 at 500' or so, and a B-52 passed
under me.

There also used to be a segment of another route in NV (early 90s) where 2
routes ran in opposite directions. They were supposed to be deconflicted by
the controlling agency, but it didn't always work. I was in an A-6 at 200'
and passed under 1 A-10 going the other way (really -- they weren't JUST
slow!) and abeam his wingman.

Old December 12th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
xyzzy

Ross Richardson wrote:
wrote:

Here's a very close call as recorded through the HUD camera of a T-38C.
Scott Wilson
http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=qLVtstYAZLY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLVtstYAZLY

We recently had the safety officer from Sheppard AFB come to our EAA
meeting talking about the IR/VR low level routes and all the SUA around
the airbase. Then he showed several videos (including this clip). Scary
and one clip was a mid-air. I was once flying over Lake Texoma in North
Central Texas at 2500' ( ground elevation is ~ 750') and 3 C-130s went
UNDER me. That was interesting.

While climbing out of KSOP, as I passed through about 1500 feet a
flight of three A-10's went under me -- I was about 5 miles outside the
Ft. Bragg restricted area at the time. I thought it was kinda
interesting that they didn't make any radio calls as they basically
blew through the traffic pattern of the airport. When I got on the
radio to warn other pilots they were coming through, THEN they made
radio calls.

Old December 12th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Frank Stutzman

In rec.aviation.owning John Weiss wrote:

I was coasting in (south TX, late 70s) on a published low-level route where
it crossed another one. I was in an A-4 at 500' or so, and a B-52 passed
under me.

Since we are telling war stories here...

A friend of mine flew A-6s in several Red Flag exercises. He has several such near
miss stories. I think the best was when he was running along at about 500' agl
when he had a F-16 (F-15?) overtake him from below and then immediately pull up in
an immelmann turn in front of him.

During the de-briefing, the other pilot was asked about this maneuver and why he
did it. Basically, he was focused on what he was doing and never saw the A-6,
before, during, or after his turn.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old December 12th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mark

scared us with:
Here's a very close call as recorded through the HUD camera of a T-38C.
Scott Wilson
http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=qLVtstYAZLY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLVtstYAZLY

I can't find anything about this in the NTSB database.
Would they not track this sort of incident?

Old December 12th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dan[_2_]

Mark wrote:
scared us with:
Here's a very close call as recorded through the HUD camera of a T-38C.
Scott Wilson
http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=qLVtstYAZLY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLVtstYAZLY

I can't find anything about this in the NTSB database.
Would they not track this sort of incident?

Not if no one filed an incident report.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old December 12th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Darkwing

"Mark" wrote in message
scared us with:
Here's a very close call as recorded through the HUD camera of a T-38C.
Scott Wilson
http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=qLVtstYAZLY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLVtstYAZLY

I can't find anything about this in the NTSB database.
Would they not track this sort of incident?

What about a NASA form?

----------------------------------
DW

Old December 12th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Dan wrote:
Mark wrote:
scared us with:
Here's a very close call as recorded through the HUD camera of a T-38C.
Scott Wilson
http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=qLVtstYAZLY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLVtstYAZLY

I can't find anything about this in the NTSB database.
Would they not track this sort of incident?

Not if no one filed an incident report.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Why? Happens all the time and neither A/C was doing anything wrong.
Civilians tend to 'report' way more often than the military, IMO. I got
'reported' when in VX-4, doing a missilex profile practice in the MOAs
east of Mugu(Owens Valley)...some civilian(Cessna 172) was wandering
around, legally, and I flew close to her to let her know we were there
and 'maybe' it would be a good idea if she did sightseeing somewhere
else. I didn't even get that close to her BUT I was pointing at her,
passed her 180 degrees out...kinda fast, wings were back.....she called
the FAA..they splained the situation.

Old December 13th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
BT

I've been low level in a B-52 near Hastings Nebraska in the IR route.. in
the turn at 500ft AGL, and had a C-172 go under me.

I've also flown the IR Routes in Wyoming and Montana while in B-1s, I've had
traffic cross co-altitude near Powell Wyoming again, abotu 500ft AGL. In
Montana, at least the crop dusters put out NOTAMs they were there, so we
could bump our minimum altitude up to 1000ft AGL and go over the top of
them. Yes, we spotten more than a few.

BT

"Ross Richardson" wrote in message

Here's a very close call as recorded through the HUD camera of a T-38C.
Scott Wilson
http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=qLVtstYAZLY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLVtstYAZLY

We recently had the safety officer from Sheppard AFB come to our EAA
meeting talking about the IR/VR low level routes and all the SUA around
the airbase. Then he showed several videos (including this clip). Scary
and one clip was a mid-air. I was once flying over Lake Texoma in North
Central Texas at 2500' ( ground elevation is ~ 750') and 3 C-130s went
UNDER me. That was interesting.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP

Old December 13th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("BT" wrote)
In Montana, at least the crop dusters put out NOTAMs they were there, so
we could bump our minimum altitude up to 1000ft AGL and go over the top of
them. Yes, we spotten more than a few.

Large payload, NAP-of-the-earth flying capability, acres and acres of crops
needing spraying, ...hmm?

Montblack

Old December 13th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Walt" wrote in message
ups.com...
I used to fly gliders out of Kelly Air Park, about halfway between
Colorado Springs and Denver. Good lift, up around 14,000', and it
wasn't unusual to see a C-130 or a B737 go by. Not a near miss, but
close enough to catch your attention.

When I got out of Air Force flight training I chose a slot to fly a
C-130 out of Langley AFB. The Powers That Be changed it to a C-121 out
of Korat, then an AC-119K out of Phan Rang.

The rest, as they say, is history. :)

Wow.

I just did a little surfing, and came up with a AC-119 page, that had
specifications of the plane, and another page of links to some stories about
missions.

I read a couple of them. WoW, again.

You 'been through some sh*t, huh Walt?

Wow.