New Plan -- Going to Kill Devil Hills

Old March 10th 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default New Plan -- Going to Kill Devil Hills

Looking at the prog charts for the next several days, Texas looks like
a mess. Moderate to heavy rains, thunderstorms, yuck. Our plan to
head south on Sunday is scrubbed.

So, we're looking at heading to Kitty Hawk, North Carolina instead.
The progs look great for at least three or four days, and I'm sure
there is plenty to see and do in the Southeast -- an area that we have
not explored very much.

While we're there we'd like to show the kids some Civil War
battlefields, some aviation museums -- the usual tourist stuff.
Figure we'll be in the area for a few days, and then maybe try to fly
over to Texas along the Gulf coast, once the weather clears.

Any recommendations?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 11th 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:
Looking at the prog charts for the next several days, Texas looks like
a mess. Moderate to heavy rains, thunderstorms, yuck. Our plan to
head south on Sunday is scrubbed.

Another VFR trip scrubbed, eh, Jay? :-)

I just couldn't resist!

Matt
Old March 11th 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony

Get your butt to Jamestown VA, not far from your planned stop.

Battlefields, history, great waterfront.

There's a biker's bar there right on the waterfront, and this is
serious -- don't miss it. The atmosphere (there is cigarette smoke, be
warned) is great fun, you and your kids will see very professional
looking people get out and fire up their Harleys, and others' inked
and tatooed, get in their minivans and drive away.

It's not far from there to Williamsburg. Don't bother getting a
ticket, park and walk through the area, visit old houses, enjoy the
history.

Buy some VA peanuts at the Peanut Shio! You'll never buy Planters
again.

Go look at the fleet at Newport News.

Wilmington NC is worth a stop, visit the Battleship, walk through some
old cotton factories.

On the way south stop in Charleston SC. Get down near the waterfront
and learn what a charming Southern City is really like. It's almost as
nice as Chapel Hill NC. Maybe nicer.

You'll be passing over New Orleans as well. The French Quarter will be
alive and well, even during Lent.

Follow my advice and you won't have time for TX!

Old March 11th 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
GrtArtiste

On Mar 10, 6:24 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
Looking at the prog charts for the next several days, Texas looks like
a mess. Moderate to heavy rains, thunderstorms, yuck. Our plan to
head south on Sunday is scrubbed.

So, we're looking at heading to Kitty Hawk, North Carolina instead.
The progs look great for at least three or four days, and I'm sure
there is plenty to see and do in the Southeast -- an area that we have
not explored very much.

While we're there we'd like to show the kids some Civil War
battlefields, some aviation museums -- the usual tourist stuff.
Figure we'll be in the area for a few days, and then maybe try to fly
over to Texas along the Gulf coast, once the weather clears.

Any recommendations?

http://www.cr.nps.gov/hps/abpp/battles/NCmap.htm

This is a link to Civil War battles in NC. To read about the ones in
the coastal area, they appear to be minor engagements. If I wanted to
recommend a battlefield I've visited...that would be Antietam
(Sharpsburg MD).

GrtArtiste

Old March 11th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Tabor

On 10 Mar 2007 15:24:35 -0800, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Looking at the prog charts for the next several days, Texas looks like
a mess. Moderate to heavy rains, thunderstorms, yuck. Our plan to
head south on Sunday is scrubbed.

So, we're looking at heading to Kitty Hawk, North Carolina instead.
The progs look great for at least three or four days, and I'm sure
there is plenty to see and do in the Southeast -- an area that we have
not explored very much.

While we're there we'd like to show the kids some Civil War
battlefields, some aviation museums -- the usual tourist stuff.
Figure we'll be in the area for a few days, and then maybe try to fly
over to Texas along the Gulf coast, once the weather clears.

Any recommendations?

I live in Chesapeake, VA. There is a lot here in SE Virginia.

The deciding battles of the War of Northern Aggression were right up
the road in Petersburg and Richmond. In Newport News, the Mariners
Museum just opened a major exhibit on the battle of the Ironclads. The
Turret of the Monitor has been raised and it there.

Yorktown is where the American Revolution ended.

Of course, there is also the Battleship Wisconsin docked in Norfolk.
And the Air and Space Museum in Hampton.

Let me know when you'll be in the area and what you are interested in
seeing.

Don

Virginia - the only State with a flag rated
"R" for partial nudity and graphic violence.
Old March 11th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Another VFR trip scrubbed, eh, Jay? :-)

I just couldn't resist!

If the prog charts are to be believed, there is no way I would fly my
family into the crap that's coming into Texas, IFR or VFR. Not in
Atlas.

Not to mention, of course, that we're going on vacation to find *nice*
weather.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 11th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Of course, there is also the Battleship Wisconsin docked in Norfolk.
And the Air and Space Museum in Hampton.

Thanks, Don. I presume there are tours of the Wisconsin? I'd love to
see that....

Sounds like we'll be heading to Virginia after Kitty Hawk!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 11th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
vincent p. norris

So, we're looking at heading to Kitty Hawk, North Carolina instead.

By all means spend a day (at least) at Colonial Williamsburg on the
way to Kitty Hawk. Wonderful place to visit and a marvelous
educational opportunity for your kids.

Avoid the Norfolk area; it's very busy. If you must get involved,
call "Mankiller" (it's on the charts) for clearance, then fly down
the beach to Kitty Hawk.

You can land at "First Flight" airport, right next to the Wright
monument, but you can't RON. Dare County airport, at Manteo, only a
couple of miles away, is the best place to RON, get fuel, rent a car,
and so forth.

Comfort Inn at Nag's Head, between Manteo and Kitty Hawk, has very
reasonable rates mid-December; don't know about now.

If you leave to the south, fly down the beach to Hatteras Light. Then
west to Cape Lookout Light. Land at Beaufort. See the beautiful
town. Get dope on how to get past Cherry Point Marine Corps Air
Station so you can continue along the beach to Wilmington, if you want
to see the battleship North Carolina and go to Charleston, as someone
recommended. It is a gorgeous city.

So is Savannah. Folks there celebrate St. Patrick's day for an entire
week, btw; you're just in time. You can get Yuengling Lager (from the
oldest brewery firm in the U.S., based in PA) on draft. at both
cities. Try it; you'll like it.

While we're there we'd like to show the kids ..... some aviation museums....

The Eighth Air Force Museum is just north of Savannah. Damn few
airplanes but a great collection of WW II stuff.

Figure we'll be in the area for a few days, and then maybe try to fly
over to Texas along the Gulf coast,

Don't miss the Naval Aviation Museum at Pensacola. It's better than
the NASM, Dulles included. Second only to Wright-Pat.

Any questions? Have a great trip.

vince norris
Old March 11th 07, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony

I meant to say Yorktown, not Jamestown.

On Mar 10, 7:27 pm, "Tony" wrote:
[...]

"Your Aviation Destination"- Hide quoted text -

Old March 11th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

By all means spend a day (at least) at Colonial Williamsburg on the
way to Kitty Hawk. Wonderful place to visit and a marvelous
educational opportunity for your kids.

We're planning to spend the night tomorrow night at Beckley, West
Virginia -- a place we chose completely at random as being more than
half-way to Kitty Hawk. Don't know anything about the place, but
we figure to only sleep there unless someone tells us it's known
for...something.

Avoid the Norfolk area; it's very busy. If you must get involved,
call "Mankiller" (it's on the charts) for clearance, then fly down
the beach to Kitty Hawk.

Yeah, we'll mosey down the beach, weather permitting.

You can land at "First Flight" airport, right next to the Wright
monument, but you can't RON. Dare County airport, at Manteo, only a
couple of miles away, is the best place to RON, get fuel, rent a car,
and so forth.

Thanks for the tip!

Comfort Inn at Nag's Head, between Manteo and Kitty Hawk, has very
reasonable rates mid-December; don't know about now.

Anything else to see in the area besides the Wright Bros Memorial?

Don't miss the Naval Aviation Museum at Pensacola. It's better than
the NASM, Dulles included. Second only to Wright-Pat.

High praise, indeed. In fact, if the "go back to Texas" part of our
plan comes to pass, Pensacola is on my list of places to stop on this
trip -- what's the best GA airport to use around there?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA