Odd missed approach instructions

Old May 18th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Paul Tomblin

Default Odd missed approach instructions

The published missed for the RNAV (GPS) RWY 04 at KROC says "Climb to 3000
direct CISON WP and via 098(degree) track to BREIT WP and hold". I'm
trying to think why they'd put in that "098 track" thing instead of just
saying "direct BRIET WP". The plan view makes it look like after crossing
CISON you'd have to fly about 135 degrees to intercept the 098 track
somewhere before BRIET. Are they trying to keep you clear of that 1030'
obstacle just north west of BREIT? I was reading it as if you had to be
at 3000' before you got to CISON, but I suppose you could read it that
you're still on your way up to 3000' on the way between CISON and BREIT?

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
"Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the
Old May 18th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
The published missed for the RNAV (GPS) RWY 04 at KROC says "Climb to 3000
direct CISON WP and via 098(degree) track to BREIT WP and hold". I'm
trying to think why they'd put in that "098 track" thing instead of just
saying "direct BRIET WP". The plan view makes it look like after crossing
CISON you'd have to fly about 135 degrees to intercept the 098 track
somewhere before BRIET. Are they trying to keep you clear of that 1030'
obstacle just north west of BREIT? I was reading it as if you had to be
at 3000' before you got to CISON, but I suppose you could read it that
you're still on your way up to 3000' on the way between CISON and BREIT?

Probably right, but also, the more specific instructions they give, the less
you need to calc-on-the-fly during a MA.

Old May 18th 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Matt Barrow" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
The published missed for the RNAV (GPS) RWY 04 at KROC says "Climb to 3000
direct CISON WP and via 098(degree) track to BREIT WP and hold". I'm
trying to think why they'd put in that "098 track" thing instead of just
saying "direct BRIET WP". The plan view makes it look like after crossing
CISON you'd have to fly about 135 degrees to intercept the 098 track
somewhere before BRIET. Are they trying to keep you clear of that 1030'
obstacle just north west of BREIT? I was reading it as if you had to be
at 3000' before you got to CISON, but I suppose you could read it that
you're still on your way up to 3000' on the way between CISON and BREIT?

Probably right, but also, the more specific instructions they give, the less
you need to calc-on-the-fly during a MA.

This is an RNAV (GPS) approach, so direct to the next waypoint is going to
involve considerably fewer calculations that trying to intercept a track.

Personally, I think whoever wrote that missed approach procedure forgot
that BREIT isn't an NDB any more.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
One item could not be deleted because it was missing.
Old May 19th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 18 May 2007 17:49:00 +0000 (UTC), (Paul
Tomblin) wrote:

The published missed for the RNAV (GPS) RWY 04 at KROC says "Climb to 3000
direct CISON WP and via 098(degree) track to BREIT WP and hold". I'm
trying to think why they'd put in that "098 track" thing instead of just
saying "direct BRIET WP". The plan view makes it look like after crossing
CISON you'd have to fly about 135 degrees to intercept the 098 track
somewhere before BRIET. Are they trying to keep you clear of that 1030'
obstacle just north west of BREIT? I was reading it as if you had to be
at 3000' before you got to CISON, but I suppose you could read it that
you're still on your way up to 3000' on the way between CISON and BREIT?

I agree that it is unusual, and I'm not certain of the appropriate wording
in this circumstance. However, the NACO chart calls for flying the 098°
track, whereas the JEPP chart call for flying a 118° track! Something is
really screwed up here.

Also, I believe you have misinterpreted a portion of the missed approach
procedure. Probably especially important in view of that tower NW of
CISON:

You write, "... after crossing CISON ...".

But CISON is depicted, on both the Jepp and the NACO charts, as a fly-by WP
and not as a fly-over WP. "Fly-by waypoints are used when an aircraft
should begin a turn to the next course prior to reaching the waypoint". So
you should not be "crossing CISON".
Old May 19th 07, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Scott Skylane

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

I agree that it is unusual, and I'm not certain of the appropriate wording
in this circumstance. However, the NACO chart calls for flying the 098°
track, whereas the JEPP chart call for flying a 118° track! Something is
really screwed up here.

Also, I believe you have misinterpreted a portion of the missed approach
procedure. Probably especially important in view of that tower NW of
CISON:

You write, "... after crossing CISON ...".

But CISON is depicted, on both the Jepp and the NACO charts, as a fly-by WP
and not as a fly-over WP. "Fly-by waypoints are used when an aircraft
should begin a turn to the next course prior to reaching the waypoint". So
you should not be "crossing CISON".

Yup!

The Jepp database supplied to our Universal FMS's definitely shows a 120
degree track from CISON to BREIT, and that CISON is fly past, so you
should begin your turn before the waypoint. NACO obviously goofed on
this one.

A double-take on the chart should alert you that 098 *cannot* take you
from CISON to BREIT, as 098 is the outbound heading of the hold, and is
clearly at a different angle than the CISON to BREIT leg.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old June 4th 07, 06:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ben Jackson

On 2007-05-18, Paul Tomblin wrote:
This is an RNAV (GPS) approach, so direct to the next waypoint is going to
involve considerably fewer calculations that trying to intercept a track.

Unless you just went missed due to GPS failure?

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Old June 4th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Paul Tomblin

On 2007-05-18, Paul Tomblin wrote:
This is an RNAV (GPS) approach, so direct to the next waypoint is going to
involve considerably fewer calculations that trying to intercept a track.

Unless you just went missed due to GPS failure?

Like I said, BRIET (the missed approach fix) isn't an NDB any more, so in
the event of a GPS failure you wouldn't be able to fly the published
missed anyway.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
If killing them all to a man is not an option then you are better off to