France Bans the Term 'E-Mail'

Old July 21st 03, 06:30 PM
Gordon

LOL. We *do* appreciate people who make an small effort to speak french,
even if it turns out real bad. 80% of the people here understand minimal
english, but you'll probably be treated better if you give a shot at it in
french.
Call it arrogance if you want, I lack the objectivity to judge it....

Sounds like you are right to me. Its the same (pretty much) everywhere - folks
who don't even attempt so much as a local greeting, no matter how mangled, are
usually seen to be aloof or some other negative trait. Better to apologize for
a small embarrassment on your own part than to have the people you are visiting
start with a negative impression of you.

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR Aircrew

"Got anything on your radar, SENSO?"
"Nothing but my forehead, sir."
Old July 22nd 03, 01:37 AM
The CO

"Pierre-Henri Baras" wrote in message

"The CO" a écrit dans le message de news:

"Pierre-Henri Baras" wrote in message

"Mycroft" a écrit dans le message de news:
And the French wonder why a lot of the world find them

irritating!?

No we don't, we don't give a rat's ass.

Cue old joke about non natives speakers attempting French language::
"The French don't really care what you say, but you *must* pronounce

it
correctly."

LOL. We *do* appreciate people who make an small effort to speak

french,
even if it turns out real bad. 80% of the people here understand

minimal
english, but you'll probably be treated better if you give a shot at

it in
french.

Fair enough, be a little extra patient with visiting Aussies, they don't
teach French
in schools around here these days, except perhaps some of the private
ones.

Call it arrogance if you want, I lack the objectivity to judge it....

We all have our little traits.

Se la vie.

The CO

Old July 22nd 03, 08:24 PM
Richard Brooks

"Emmanuel.Gustin" wrote in message
Gooneybird wrote:

: On reflection, one never hears Frenchmen complaining about French words

and
: phrases adopted into the English language, does one. A bit of "le

standard
: a deux", n'est ce pas? (^-^)))

Well, thanks to William the Conqueror, English is a mixture
of French with the original Germanic Old English, anyway.
It is only natural for the French to make further intrusions.
While 'Franglais' is really very, very ugly.

Emmanuel

You mean like "murky buckets" ?

Besides French is a way to clear the sinus without spitting on the pavement
so is very healthy and for exercise we use the longbowman's wave.

Richard.

Old July 22nd 03, 08:26 PM
Richard Brooks

"Pierre-Henri Baras" wrote in message

It's funny, we have the same joke, with french transforming into german.
I wonder if it exists in other languages??

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby
English will be the official language of the EU rather than German
which was the other possibility. As part of the negotiations, Her
Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room
for improvement and has accepted a 5 year phase-in plan that would
be known as "Euro-English".

[snipped]

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil
be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi to
understand ech ozer. Ze drem vil finali kum tru! And zen ve vil
tak over ze vorld!

I got mine from an old Russian ally!

Richard.

Old July 22nd 03, 08:31 PM
Richard Brooks

"Mycroft" wrote in message
And the French wonder why a lot of the world find them irritating!?

Myc

"bsh" wrote in message
PARIS - Goodbye "e-mail", the French government says, and hello
"courriel" - the term that linguistically sensitive France is now using
to refer to electronic mail in official documents.

The Culture Ministry has announced a ban on the use of "e-mail" in all
government ministries, documents, publications or Web sites, the latest
step to stem an incursion of English words into the French lexicon.

That's alright! It'll stay local anyway.

What ****es me off are the Micra car adverts we get in the UK at the moment.
The arty ones behind the adverts are trying to get words based around how
they feel about the cars, accepted by mangling other words together .
Spafe -spacious/safe.

Piff, is all I can say in reply.

Richard.

Old July 22nd 03, 09:31 PM
Pierre-Henri Baras

"Richard Brooks" a écrit dans le
message de news: ...

I got mine from an old Russian ally!

LOL. Hey, I wonder if there's one for French/English or English/French??
Pierre

Old July 26th 03, 03:00 PM
scrumpy

I'm not sure I blame them. Look what happened to French when the
Normans dragged it over to England in 1066. Once the French-speaking
GIs started chatting up the Saxon barmaids, the language went to Hell
in a handbasket.

The Noirmans were not french, they were francified vikings who adopted
catholiscism and spoke what linguists refer to as Anglo-Norman. Old
French didn't even exist then, what was spoken is now fefered as
Romance, old French did not occur till the first crusaders returned
and introduced some arabic and persian words.
One of the reasons why the Norman nobles abandoned Anglo-Norman by
the 15th century (and yes like the Quebecois, introduced laws to try
and preserve the language). Is that the parisian nobles mocked their
speech, that is, they were regarded as yokels by the parisians and
they hated it (thereby accelerating the demise of Anglo-Norman in
England-Edward I was the first to use English as the official
language).
Old July 26th 03, 03:18 PM
scrumpy

Well, thanks to William the Conqueror, English is a mixture
of French with the original Germanic Old English.

Actually that is incorrect, the Normans were francified vikings and
what they spoke (dispite superficial resenblances) was not french.
They spoke a language linguists refer to asw "Anglo-Norman".