I had 2 DUI's about 6 years ago, is it realistic for me to become a commercial pilot?

Old July 5th 07, 12:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Default I had 2 DUI's about 6 years ago, is it realistic for me to becomea commercial pilot?

Big John wrote:
Jarrod

Check your State laws. Some States keep your DUI record forever I'm
told.

Other States wash your record out after a period of time, 5 years, 10
years or some such.

If your State gives you a clean record then should not be a problem
with FAA even if they have some rules about multiple DUI's????

Big John

Unless you are going to lie to the FAA, I'm not sure why the FAA should
matter. Unless you're in one of the few loosie goosey states, the
criminal conviction is every hard to erase, even if a casual NDIC search
doesn't show it (which is what the FAA does in the casual case).

Your EMPLOYER on the other hand, may do a criminal records search which
will be more comprehensive.
Old July 5th 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 07:12:09 -0400, tom418 wrote:

Good point. The requirements of airlines are often more stringent than
those of the FAA.

You know, it's not completely clear to me that the OP wants a flying job.
He did cite one relevant web site, but...

[I know that, much as I love flying, I prefer my non-flying job (esp.
where I get to be home every evening).]

More, the airlines are not the only jobs to be had that involve flying.
They may be the best paying (or not; I don't really know but I do observe
that people here largely seem to think of those jobs as the ideal), but
there are alternatives.

- Andrew

Old July 5th 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Montblack wrote:

A local TV station did a 'watch us drink' report.

One of ours did the same.

Get this... G

The "watchee" was a local MADD activist, and the public demo was done at
the state capitol. The "watchee" got busted for a real DUI a month later:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/connecticut/articles/2007/05/15/volunteer_for_anti_drunken_driving_group_charged_w ith_dui/
Old July 5th 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jarrod, I can't answer the FAA question, but would encourage you to
see what you can do to get those DUIs off your record. A lawyer might
help. My point is this: my husband owns and runs a high tech companny,
and he mentioned someone with a DUI on his or her record would have to
bring a lot of unique skills to the table before he'd consider hiring
him.

It's rotten, I know, but the hiring idea is this -- it's much better
to reject otherwise good applicants than to accept one who might be a
greater than normal risk, and his employees do not fly airplanes (he
does, though!).

I think there are lots of commercial flying jobs, but there are even
more highly qualitified pilots looking for them (think of the guys and
women leaving the service with lots of time logged) so if it's
possible get those things off your record.

And for God's sake, don't do anything that will add to the record.

On the positive side, I can tell you we have a friend who is
recovering for 19 years, and he goes to AA. So many of the members
there are very successful (MDs business men, that sort of thing) and
they are very free with advice to other members. They may even have
ideas you won't hear here. I am NOT making the assumption you need AA,
just telling something I happen to know about the organization.

Good luck.

On Jul 4, 9:31 pm, wrote:
I had 2 Dui's (one when I was 21 and one when I was 22) and I'm now
almost 28. I was working on a degree in communications and I'm at
about the junior level, but my old dream of flying just came back to
me all of the sudden and I thought I would make absolutely sure if
those DUI's will be more than just an obstacle for me.

Where I am at now is just trying to figure out how I can be sure one
way or another. How do I get the official thumbs up or down? I can't
bring myself to invest all that money only to be unsure and have to
wait until I get further down the road and committed to find out.

A teacher at the community college I go to now said he wasn't sure
about 2 dui's but he's seen people overcome one. He also gave me the
websitewww.jet-jobs.comfor Air Inc, and said they can advise me and
they charge for their services. I thought I'd exhaust all my options
and ask here first/as well.

Any help, advice, or experience is really appreciated. Feel free to
email me!
Thanks,
Jarrod

Old July 5th 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Luke Skywalker

On Jul 4, 8:31 pm, wrote:

Pretty good suggestions in the thread. Mine would be:

First check and make sure that they are on your record. there is a
way to do that.

Second Are you still drinking is a relevant question. You need to
understand yourself "how" you came to be DWI...ie childish college
thing (the age suggest this) or are you having some problem with
alcohol?

Third. I believe that you can get airman certificates..and getting
capable for a real job...is going to take some time so more time will
pass between your DUI and the present. But an airline job is going to
be a hard hill to climb...unless there are some "guality" jobs in
between the DUI and "now" and you are going to have to have a really
good explanation of 1) how it happened, 2) what you learned from it
and 3) that it has never happened again...I mean you are going to need
to be like Ceaser's wife...above reproach.

When I was at an airline (that went bust of course) but was a boeing
operator we hired one pilot who had a DWI...she had a very good
explanation for number 3...and we made it clear that anything in the
future was a "big problem"...she claimed, and it was believable that
she was done drinking. AS best I can tell that was accurate and we
never had a hint of trouble with her.

Good luck.

Robert

Old July 6th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

MXSMANIC talks a lot, acts like an expert, but knows little. He is not a
pilot, and in fact has stated that he is afraid to fly.