new SSA web site

Old April 1st 21, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default new SSA web site

On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 7:33:06 AM UTC-7, Mark Mocho wrote:
And for those of us stuck with slow internet access, it's a huge time waster. Loads like it was being carved into stone tablets.

My understanding is that a photojournalist/graphic-designer type person was bought in to make it. From a marketing/aesthetic standpoint its prettier than our old site, and it _does_ look and work better on phones/tablets than the old site.

But yes I am led to believe that the new front page is a Wordpress-based site with lots of plugins and components; which are all naturally going to slow the thing down. :-(

In defense of the SSA Board, we do have a fair number of older members who are not super tech-savvy so I understand why they might have felt that reaching out to the membership about this would invite a backlash before it even began...

However it is *also* true that we have a fair amount of tech-savvy members; many of whom have programmed successful websites, run complex technology projects, and understand how to develop systems that are maintainable and low-cost over the long-term (for example: did we leverage any relationships that soaring pilots have with tech companies to land cheap/free licenses and resources? I know that there is at least 1 soaring connection to the founder of Wordpress. And I myself have helped our local soaring club obtain cheap/free Office365 and Azure licenses that MS is offering to any nonprofit these days. The SSA could use those licenses & credits to keep website hosting and maintenance costs way down - as MS is on a big push to expand is nonprofit programs).

There are some real obvious "misses" here that a small group of technology professionals could have helped avoid.

--Noel

Old April 1st 21, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

APRIL FOOLS

Since you mentioned Captcha, I may never go back to the SSA website. If
that's the price of entry, I may resign.

Dan
5J

On 3/31/21 1:22 PM, Moshe Braner wrote:
The "new web site" is live, and it is very slow to load, and I can't
find anything...Â* Where did the state records go?

And when I tried to login it made me spend much time training Google's
AI via a "Captcha" - I hate those things with a white-hot passion!

And then it rejected my password.Â* (I haven't typed it in in years as my
browser remembered it.)Â* For each attempt it wanted a new Captcha.Â* Then
I clicked on "lost password".Â* That too wanted a Captcha.Â* Then it said
my "username" (6 digits) is not valid.Â* Neither is my email (another
captcha).

I may never login to SSA again!

Old April 1st 21, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Wait, am I reading the latest SSA email correctly? We need to reset our password to a new value to be able to log into the new site; but we *ALSO* need our old password/login in order to be able to access/use all of the older/existing systems - even after switching to the new site??

Old April 1st 21, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On 4/1/2021 2:51 PM, noel.wade wrote:
Wait, am I reading the latest SSA email correctly? We need to reset our password to a new value to be able to log into the new site; but we *ALSO* need our old password/login in order to be able to access/use all of the older/existing systems - even after switching to the new site??

Yup, it says:

"In the next 24 hours you should receive an email with a password reset
link. Once you have reset your password you will be able to log in using
your email address and new password. ...

Do Not Lose Your Old Login For SSA.org

You will still need your login credentials using your member ID number
and personalized password to access the following:

* Soaring Magazine Online
* Johnson Reports
* Contest Registration
* SSA Clubs and Chapter Rosters
* SSA Board of Director and Committee Reports"

- that is really silly, to have to maintain two logins. Why?

And I'd bet the SSA "store" would remain as a third login?

Maybe some of these systems are existing would migrate eventually, but
for example the Soaring Magazine Online is touted as a brand new system.
Why isn't it integrated into the SSA web site per se, with a single login?
Old April 1st 21, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

What is it they say, "Getting there is half the fun!"

Dan
5J

On 4/1/21 1:12 PM, Moshe Braner wrote:
On 4/1/2021 2:51 PM, noel.wade wrote:
Wait, am I reading the latest SSA email correctly? We need to reset
our password to a new value to be able to log into the new site; but
we *ALSO* need our old password/login in order to be able to
access/use all of the older/existing systems - even after switching to
the new site??

Yup, it says:

"In the next 24 hours you should receive an email with a password reset
link. Once you have reset your password you will be able to log in using
your email address and new password. ...

Do Not Lose Your Old Login For SSA.org

You will still need your login credentials using your member ID number
and personalized password to access the following:

Â** Soaring Magazine Online
Â** Johnson Reports
Â** Contest Registration
Â** SSA Clubs and Chapter Rosters
Â** SSA Board of Director and Committee Reports"

- that is really silly, to have to maintain two logins.Â* Why?

And I'd bet the SSA "store" would remain as a third login?

Maybe some of these systems are existing would migrate eventually, but
for example the Soaring Magazine Online is touted as a brand new system.
Â*Why isn't it integrated into the SSA web site per se, with a single
login?

Old April 1st 21, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hank Nixon

On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 3:09:02 PM UTC-4, Moshe Braner wrote:
[...]

I was able to log in with my existing username and password.
UH

Old April 2nd 21, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Byars[_5_]

On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 7:35:50 PM UTC-4, Glenn Betzoldt wrote:
On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 5:17:35 PM UTC-4, Hank Nixon wrote:
I was able to log in with my existing username and password.
UH

As was I, but try and view the scores of the Seniors contest last month.... good luck!!!!!

Old April 2nd 21, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GeneReinecke

Wow. Are we all being overly cranky as an April Fool's day joke? Give the low-paid IT people a few days to get it right! This is not a Covid vaccine reservation site, an investment app or even OLC! Lighten up guys, give it a couple of days and everything will be all right!
Sheesh.
Old April 2nd 21, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 5:48:43 PM UTC-7, GeneReinecke wrote:
Wow. Are we all being overly cranky as an April Fool's day joke? Give the low-paid IT people a few days to get it right! This is not a Covid vaccine reservation site, an investment app or even OLC! Lighten up guys, give it a couple of days and everything will be all right!
Sheesh.

No Gene, its not about being overly cranky. I am an IT person, and I *have* been very lowly paid and/or a volunteer (hell, my day job is running IT for a non-profit right now).

There was no reason for the new site to be rolled out like this, NONE. All of the things they're working on could have been tested in-private and tuned/fixed, while the main website continued to exist and function just fine.

But the issue goes MUCH deeper than just how bumpy the rollout is. The organization of the new site bespeaks a lack of careful consideration of features and functionality, or of proper project management. It reeks of scope-creep, and of being driven by art/aesthetics instead of functionality, and of non-technical people in charge not knowing how to vet the technical workers or manage them effectively.

--Noel

SSA web site Roger Soaring 15 April 3rd 05 05:47 PM
EAA site down? Jay Honeck Piloting 5 March 7th 05 06:12 AM
new site for creating project log and web site Rob Home Built 2 November 23rd 04 07:21 PM
See My Site Jürgen Exner Simulators 0 January 5th 04 01:37 AM
site FBI © 2003 Aviation Marketplace 0 July 7th 03 11:47 AM