Do Purist Exhibit Higher Testosterone Levels ?

Old April 10th 21, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Mocho

Default Do Purist Exhibit Higher Testosterone Levels ?

For those who don't know who Henry Combs was, or of his amazing career:

Henry Combs (died May 28, 2016) was a structural engineer at Clarence Johnson's famed Skunk Works group of Lockheed Corporation. He was Deputy Project Manager on the Lockheed U-2 program, Head Structural Engineer on the SR-71 Blackbird, and later, Technical Director of the Skunk Works. While he is most known for his integral work on the U-2, the SR-71 and the F-117 Nighthawk, he also worked on the F-104, Lockheed Constellation, C-130 Hercules, XP-58 Chain Lightning, and Lockheed JetStar.

Combs is revered as the father of the titanium A-12 structure. According to Ben Rich in "Skunk Works", Combs was the "dean" of the eight man structures group and an "irascible genius". Combs spoke on the U-2's development at the CIA's "The CIA and the U-2 Program" conference on 17 September 1998.

An accomplished glider pilot, Combs became famous within the soaring community for his weekly cross-country distance flights. Owing to the notable success of these flights, he became the leader of a fiercely loyal group of competition and cross-country sailplane pilots known as the "Crystal Squadron", based at Crystalaire gliderport in Llano, CA. From the mid 1980s through the early 2000s, this group of pilots, under Combs' spiritual and technical leadership, flew hundreds of long-distance soaring flights from Southern California to Nevada, Utah, and Arizona. In 1998, he completed his 200th straight-out long-distance flight meeting or exceeding the FAI "Diamond Badge" distance of 311 miles (500 km).

In addition to his long-distance flights, he was well known for his extensive modifications and performance tuning work on the classic Glasflugel H-301 Libelle sailplane. Because of the numerous aerodynamic improvements made by Combs to his aircraft, it was capable of achieving performance levels on a par with more modern aircraft flown by the other members of the group. The net effect of these expert aircraft modifications, combined with his excellent piloting skills, was that (to their amazement and chagrin) Combs was often able to fly farther and faster than the other members of the Crystal Squadron, many of whom had spent three or four times the money on far newer "state of the art" sailplanes. This served only to further perpetuate the "irascible genius" legend, long after his Skunk Works days had passed. His soaring legacy is honored by the Soaring Society of America's "Henry Combs Perpetual Trophy".

Combs died on May 28, 2016, at the age of 99.
Old April 10th 21, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy

Yea Mike Mike
Great synopsis on Mr Combs History!
What a Leader in XC exploration and possibility.
I think Mr Youngblood is once again trolling for confrontation among SP pilots.
That's pathetic in this day and place in time, IMHO.
Nick
Old April 10th 21, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
3C

Eric and Mark,
Thanks for drifting this thread from goofy humor to interesting soaring history. RAS needs more thread evolution like this.
Well done!
C.
Old April 10th 21, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Acheson[_2_]

There is no way to compare a pilot with an engine to a pilot without an engine.
Completely different world view.
Completely different set of choices regarding difficult weather.
Not on the same planet.
Old April 10th 21, 11:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, April 9, 2021 at 9:37:23 PM UTC-4, Mark Mocho wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that bit of wonderful history, we had our own pilot here in Florida that would often set out on flights that were challenging and impressive. Harry Senn, a well known glider pilot and meteorologist would set out on flights over the Everglades . Some of us old guys had the opportunity to fly with Harry or crew for his straight out flights.
Harry was well known for his weather forecasting and would always offer weather advice for us guys at the gliderport. Being a forecaster for the National Hurricane Center provided Harry with weather information that became useful to glider pilots from around the country. Being a world class weather forecaster worked to many our our advantages on flights out of Miami, Harry was always interested in flights that were associated with unusual weather patterns. His assistance and interest in a flight that my friend Benny Flowers and I made out of Miami back in 1983. Harry and Dr. Gil Clark provided me with satellite photos and surface analysis information for my flight documentation.
Harry did his remarkable flights not in a fancy modern ship, but in his beloved 1-26. Yes, Harry was a purist, would often fly his 1-26 with the sport canopy and carry a few balloons and a roll of toilet paper on his flights. The balloons were used to mark thermals, as he would inflate them and toss out in thermals so he could study the strength and location. The toilet paper was not used for his after off field landings, but rather to also mark the thermals as he was flying. You could often see long streams of toilet paper and know that Harry had been there first.
Eric, to your surprise I have flown a motorglider, probably long before many ever knew there was such thing as a motorglider. I have made a promise to myself that there are two things that I will never do again. The number one thing that I will never do again is drink Tequila, the second thing that I will never do again is fly one of those damn motorgliders! Although, the SSA should have an award for the longest flight in a motorglider, they could call it the "Two Cycle Trophy".
So, I guess i better get rolling, lots of work to do today, I must get the speed sprayer going for an application of fungicide on the mango trees.
Old April 10th 21, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RR

One of the many questions that most of us purist ask examines the phycological and psychical differences in individuals that fly Motorgliders vs purist. I do think that the motorglider fliers should certainly be considered for a much different score system compared to the true real purist. So, would testosterone levels or lack of those levels have a contribution to the number of motorglider sailplane pilots.

I sailed a "pure" 30ft sailboat for 10 years. On and off the mooring, even on and off docks only under sail. Not once did I boast about it, or consider myself superior to "motorsailors". I just didn't have an auxiliary. It is a direct parralel. I kept the boat in a tidal river so some times I could not "launch" and needed to wait for wind and tides to be favorable. Some times I risked a late return or perhaps a retrieve. It did develop some good skills but none that couldn't be developed by simply not using an available auxiliary. Somthing I practiced in larger boats often. I find it interesting that you never hear this same discussion amongst sailors.

I flew a "pure" sailplane for 18years. Missed many a good day when I could not get a tow. Missed flying from sites that did not have tows (getting more and more). In retirement I traded up to a Ash-31. I miss the simplicity of my 304, but love the fact that my soaring commute is half what it was.. I have had great trips out west to wonderful locations that dont have towplanes. I fly it like a "pure" sailplane and only once have used its retreve capability.

I eventually added a 2hp honda to my etchells (sailboat) for all the same reasons. I can "launch" at will, and even retreve if nessasary. It cost money, added some complexity, increased maintenance, but did not increase criticism from my fellow sailors. More the opposite, what took you so long....
Old April 10th 21, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

"there is no rational thought involved in pushing the start button"
Never flown a motorglider, eh?

On Friday, April 9, 2021 at 2:40:14 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, April 9, 2021 at 5:28:33 PM UTC-4, Mike Carris wrote:
On Friday, April 9, 2021 at 3:01:08 PM UTC-6, wrote:
One of the many questions that most of us purist ask examines the phsycological and psychical differences in individuals that fly Motorgliders vs purist. I do think that the motorglider fliers should certainly be considered for a much different score system compared to the true real purist. So, would testosterone levels or lack of those levels have a contribution to the number of motorglider sailplane pilots.

Motorglider pilots have more than a sufficient amount required for rational thought, but perhaps less than some silly mucho macho purests. Motorglider pilots brains may not be so clouded with excess mind fogging hormones, and as a result, they think more rationally about the advantage of a built in launch and or retrieve system if needed. ;^)

Chuckle...

Mike

Mike , you are heading up to the top of the class, great reply, but there is no rational thought involved in pushing the start button. Mike, I can help you in this situation, there is no substitute for testosterone when flying as a purist, we do not have that ability to light it up and go home to mama. Mike, I am an old man, but please spare me with the motorglider endorsement.

Old April 10th 21, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Mocho

"... but there is no rational thought involved in pushing the start button."

There is, however, a certain amount of praying.
Old April 10th 21, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars

I moved this to a new thread, as it seemed to go in a different direction than Bob's original
conversation starter.

Guy Acheson wrote on 4/9/2021 8:51 PM:

There is no way to compare a pilot with an engine to a pilot without an engine.

We (you excepted, of course) do it all the time - easy peasy.

Completely different world view.

Not the ones I know, and after 26 seasons with a motorglider, I know a LOT of motorglider pilots.

Completely different set of choices regarding difficult weather.

See above.

Not on the same planet.

All the motorglider pilots I know started in unpowered gliders, then after many years, switched
to motorgliders, which they then flew mostly like they did before. Having a motor can encourage
taking more risks with the weather with some pilots, but not the "off the charts" extent you
seem to think. You can sometimes see similar behavior in an unpowered pilot that has a great
crew eager to do a retrieve. Henry Combs was the epitome of this behavior, more adventurous
than almost any other pilot (motorized or not) I've known, but there were/are number of them in
the Crystal Squadron following in his wing wake, and all without motors.

My view is most motorglider pilots don't take much advantage of the exploring that is more
available to motorglider pilots; that is, they continue to fly like they did when they were
"purists", and are just happy to have a launch when desired, and getting home in time for dinner.

Old April 10th 21, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Goofed the first time, but now the new thread is started. Please use that one, so all the
replies stay together.