Mountain High EDS O2 system battery

Old March 16th 05, 03:18 AM
Mal.com

Yes the glider batteries were packed by some pilots in foam etc.

I have also pack the baggage compartment with a spare fleece or two less air
mass to cool down and it insulates the area as well.

"bumper" wrote in message

"Go" wrote in message
oups.com...
So far my O2 experience has been up to FL180. Certainly going far above
that brings forth other serious considerations. I have thought I would
install a continuous flow system as a back-up to the EDS if, and when I
decide to fly at those altitudes. Then also a spare/emergency?

Do you have any special considerations for the glider primary batteries
when it gets that cold?

I think it depends on how long exposed as well as how cold. The ship's
lead-acid batteries have a fair amount of mass, so internal temperatures
will drop more slowly than some other stuff in the glider. Obviously,
battery location plays a role too, i.e. it's typically warmer in the
cockpit than elsewhere. Since the batteries are discharging and have some
internal resistance, the internal power dissipation also adds warmth. That
said, battery capacity at freezing will be down some 20% or more, and
at -22F, down 50%.

I understand Stemme insulated their battery installation for the wave
flights in S. America several years ago.

bumper
ZZ Minden, NV

Air defense (naval and air force) Mike Military Aviation 0 September 18th 04 04:42 PM
Naval air defense Mike Naval Aviation 0 September 18th 04 04:42 PM
Air Force Helper 2000 tomcat Naval Aviation 0 June 9th 04 11:54 PM
Air Force Helper 2000 tomcat Military Aviation 0 June 9th 04 11:54 PM
2nd update on Review of Plasma II Ignition System MikeremlaP Home Built 8 July 22nd 03 01:37 AM