Electric Winch Project

Old September 1st 18, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Electric Winch Project

https://www.hdelectriclaunch.com/

Blog updates that were previously only on Facebook.
Old September 1st 18, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Where is this happening? CO? (Yes I looked for this info on the website.)
Old September 1st 18, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 09/01/2018 11:46 AM, son_of_flubber wrote:
Where is this happening? CO? (Yes I looked for this info on the website.)

LLC is registered in Bend, OR
Old September 3rd 18, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]

Some very nice High Quality work you guys are doing
on this project! Look forward to seeing finished working winch.
Old September 7th 18, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF

I know battery powered winches benefiting from the automotive boom in motors and batteries is our future. But there's nothing like a big block engine roaring through a pair of open bog headers to get the hair standing up on your arms. Everyone within half a mile knows that the gods of combustion have arrived, and they are angry. The high pitched scream of a electric motor running on an inverter, just ain't the same.

Kudos to Bill for taking point on this, just remember the guys on point get shot at a lot.

SF

Old September 7th 18, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 7:34:36 PM UTC-4, SF wrote:
I know battery powered winches benefiting from the automotive boom in motors and batteries is our future. But there's nothing like a big block engine roaring through a pair of open bog headers to get the hair standing up on your arms. Everyone within half a mile knows that the gods of combustion have arrived, and they are angry. The high pitched scream of a electric motor running on an inverter, just ain't the same.

Kudos to Bill for taking point on this, just remember the guys on point get shot at a lot.

SF

Scott is talking about this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YePIJKs5me0
Make sure to have the volume cranked up.... :-)

Uli
'AS'
Old September 10th 18, 09:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I saw make electric winches and put huge wind turbines next to them to recharge the batteries. The rule is simple, if you can land through the blades the launch is free.
Old September 10th 18, 11:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, September 10, 2018 at 2:35:03 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I saw make electric winches and put huge wind turbines next to them to recharge the batteries. The rule is simple, if you can land through the blades the launch is free.

Free? How much did the winch cost? And did the wind turbine sprout from a magic bean?
Old September 10th 18, 11:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, September 10, 2018 at 12:23:26 PM UTC+2, wrote:
On Monday, September 10, 2018 at 2:35:03 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I say make electric winches and put huge wind turbines next to them to recharge the batteries. The rule is simple, if you can land through the blades the launch is free.

Free? How much did the winch cost? And did the wind turbine sprout from a magic bean?

It is considered good practice to read all sentences in a post before responding.
Old September 10th 18, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 01:35:01 -0700, flybd5 wrote:

I saw make electric winches and put huge wind turbines next to them to
recharge the batteries.

Actually, the turbine would be fairly small.

A winch launch takes about 35 seconds from first movement until release
and about the maximum launch rate achievable with a two drum winch is 20
an hour[*], so the winch duty cycle is 20% at the most. If we assume the
winch burns a continuous 300kW during a launch (yes, that's probably a
large overestimate), then the average draw over an hour is 60kW - well
within the capability of a diesel trailer generator or a 22m diameter
three-blade wind turbine.

If the winch averages half power over the whole launch and the launch
rate is a more typical 10 an hour, the average power requirement drops to
15kW or a 9m diameter three-blade turbine.

The rule is simple, if you can land through the blades the launch
is free.

.... but an glider bigger than about 5m span would not fit through the
blades of a suitable turbine, even if it was stationary.

[1] Several years ago a bunch of us made periodic attempts to see how
high a launch rate was possible with a two drum diesel winch (Supacat).
We could hit 20 launches an hour, but never managed to exceed it, and
apart from the winch driver and launch marshal, we needed a full-time
driver in the cable retrieval truck, and another two people to collect
gliders as they landed, put them back on the dual launch queues, and keep
the launch queues moved up to the launch point. It didn't need much to
drop the rate either - an instructor who briefed when he and his student
reached the front of the queue, rather than one or two launches earlier
would do it.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org