Pic of DC-8 that landed on fire in PHL

Old February 9th 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Pic of DC-8 that landed on fire in PHL

This is a picture of a UPS DC-8 that landed on fire at PHL:

http://phlairline.com/N748UP.html

Anyone know more about this incident? What happened?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 9th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

This is a picture of a UPS DC-8 that landed on fire at PHL:

http://phlairline.com/N748UP.html

This explains why I haven't received that new carburator I ordered for
my girls dirtbike. LOL

The Monk

Old February 9th 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article 7NxGf.763046$_o.335162@attbi_s71, Jay Honeck
wrote:

This is a picture of a UPS DC-8 that landed on fire at PHL:

http://phlairline.com/N748UP.html

Anyone know more about this incident? What happened?

I'd imagine some cargo caught on fire; not sure beyond that. I'm
certain they're still investigating exactly what burned.

Speaking of burning cargo:

Keep that picture of the DC-8 in mind when packing your bag to check on
an airline flight. I distinctly remember a few years back at my
airline, we were getting ready to close up for a flight out of
Burlington, VT. The agent loading the bags came up to talk to me. He
said there was a "funny smell" coming from one of the bags, and wanted
to check it out if I didn't mind waiting.

For a suspicious bag? Are you kidding? Open it up!

And he did. What was in it? A large, half-full bottle of acetone,
leaking all over the canvas bag and releasing strong vapors. Not only
is it *extremely* flammable (particularly the vapors), but the warnings
for it also include this statement:

"Inhalation of vapors irritates the respiratory tract. May cause
coughing, dizziness, dullness, and headache. Higher concentrations can
produce central nervous system depression, narcosis, and
unconsciousness." Nice.

The cargo compartment of our airplane shares the pressure vessel with
the passenger cabin; many airplanes do. What might those fumes have
done to the occupants of the plane? What if the bag under it had
matches in it? What if they rubbed together during the takeoff roll?

Acetone is one of many things that may be legal to carry in dedicated
cargo planes, but not planes with passengers on board. (Matches and
lighters, incidentally, are also forbidden in checked bags.)

The chemical-soaked bag was taken off the plane. If I recall, the
shaken but apologetic passenger elected to go on without her bag and
pick it up on her return.

This was pre 9/11, of course; these days they probably would take her
off the plane beat her with hoses.

Pack your bags carefully, folks. :-)

--
Garner R. Miller
ATP/CFII/MEI
Old February 9th 06, 11:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article . com,
says...

This is a picture of a UPS DC-8 that landed on fire at PHL:

http://phlairline.com/N748UP.html

This explains why I haven't received that new carburator I ordered for
my girls dirtbike. LOL

Is that the one that come with 20gal of free gasoline? :-)

GF

Old February 9th 06, 11:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:
This is a picture of a UPS DC-8 that landed on fire at PHL:

http://phlairline.com/N748UP.html

Anyone know more about this incident? What happened?

If it had been one of those new fangled foreign made jobs it would have
fallen apart. Nothing like an over engineered American made product to
hold together when you need it most.... ;-)

Michelle (who has a friend that flies for UPS)
Old February 9th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Nothing like an over engineered American made product to hold together when you need it most..

Yep, the DC8 is built like a tank, probably why UPS spent the dough to
re-engine them with CFM56 fans plus the modern flight deck equip. A
friend of mine is an MD-11 capt with UPS. He tells me they don't skimp
when it comes to acft maintenance.

Old February 10th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

How much acetone are we talking about? Remember, nail polish remover is
mostly acetone, and airlines allow 18 ounces for each hazardous
toiletry items. That is over half a quart. Why anyone needs that much
nail polish remover, I don't know. But it appears to be within airline
policy (at least based on what I saw on SWA website).

Old February 10th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Here is the FAA report, very preliminary.

http://www.faa.gov/data_statistics/a...ts02/index.cfm