SPOT Satellite Messenger

Old September 7th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey[_2_]

Default SPOT Satellite Messenger

http://www.equipped.org/SPOT_ORSummer2007.htm
Old September 8th 07, 06:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 7, 2:57 pm, Marc Ramsey wrote:
http://www.equipped.org/SPOT_ORSummer2007.htm

Looks interesting. Let us you when you have one Marc!

More info at their web site http://www.findmespot.com

The (very simple) Spot User Guide is available at
http://www.globalcomsatphone.com/man...user_guide.pdf

The "Help" message button could be used to send a message to your crew
you need a retrieve. Looks small enough to put in the luggage shelf
area on most gliders but to reach the buttons or see the status LEDs
probably means the thing is stuck up on the glareshield or maybe
strapped to your leg (if it can get a GPS signal in that position).
Pity they did not design it to sit on a car dashboard - with buttons/
LEDs on one end, and that bright orange reflecting in the canopy will
be annoying. You'll want to be able to see the LED status to be sure
the thing has a GPS signal and is transmitting etc. A 12v external
power input would have been nice. Remembering to press the tracking
button before each flight may be a challenge. I don't see this at all
as a replacement for a PLB - especially since it's not transmitting a
121.5/406 Mhz homing signal but the tracking feature is sexy. I wonder
how long the tracking data is kept online, they seem to imply a long
time.

I also wonder how well these will work given problem Globalstar have
been having with their satellites and service reliability. Any reports
from glider pilots using Globalstar GSP-1700 (or 1600) phones in the
western half of the USA? How have you found coverage and signal
reliability? Yes I know the Spot service is slightly different, but I
was also curious about the sat phones. If they work reliably the newer
more compact Globalstar phones and their lower service prices are
pretty interesting for remote places like the great basin.

Cheers

Darryl Ramm

Old September 11th 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Hm,
The active tracking option might be what turns this device into
something extremely useful in case of an emergency. Once in the habit
of enabling the realtime tracker for each flight, then if an accident
does occur, searchers will have a place to start looking.

Even if the connection to the satellites is marginal, I expect that
due to being airborne and the device being autonomous and sending just
a data packet instead of voice, it should be able to get through at
least a couple times per hour. If it gets through every 10 minutes,
then that's even better.

Each glider operation with internet access could set up the methods to
track all local pilots, and the dream of getting real time competition
tracking into the mainstream may have just turned into reality.

If I read the review article correctly, the unit will cost $150 with a
$150 per year subscription ($100 basic + $50 for real time). This is
starting to look like a near perfect passive tracking and emergency
"locating" solution. An ELT or PLB is still a must, but the realtime
tracking will at least provide a starting point for the search.

-Tom

Old September 11th 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

That is a very cool device. I look forward to tracking cross-country
soaring flights using them.

Paul Remde

oups.com...

Old October 3rd 07, 10:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 7, 2:57 pm, Marc Ramsey wrote:
http://www.equipped.org/SPOT_ORSummer2007.htm

Some brief testing with SPOT by Doug Ritter at http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=73

Keeps looking interesting.

Darryl

Old October 3rd 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On Oct 3, 3:03 am, "
wrote:
Keeps looking interesting.

And since they say it will run on alkaline batteries, then I assume it
will run on rechargeables as well. If I were to put in a fresh pair
of charged batteries before each flight and select tracking mode, then
if I did have an accident, it should provide a relatively small area
in which to look for me. If course an ELT and/or PLB would still be a
very good idea.

Assuming an XC speed of 90 mph and an update every 10 minutes, the
search radius would be about 15 miles. An update every 15 minutes
would push that up to 22 miles, but still a lot better than the
potential of at least 100 miles on one of my typical flights. Using
topography, weather and a declared flight, the search area would go
down dramatically.

And if each club had someone actively monitoring the day's flying, a
pilot in trouble could be identified within an hour or less. Since we
are interested in tracking while airborne, we should be seeing near
100% coverage, unless flying deep inside canyons.

I have a feeling that I'll be an early adopter!

-Tom

Old October 3rd 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Oct 3, 11:56 am, 5Z wrote:
On Oct 3, 3:03 am, "
wrote:

[...]

Early adopters, please share your experience with us. This is really
sounding interesting, and cheap too. Almost too good to be true.
Too bad Fossett didn't use one...

Ramy

Old October 3rd 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Tom

I'm also thinking it would be a fun think for those friendly local
races days - a really low cost way for clubs/FBOs to do some
interesting flight tracking and as you say, a great safety tool to
boot - and kind of obvious when somebody lands out if they can't
raise anybody on the radio - a stationary target over the favorite
landout strips.

Still wish it had external power and a way not to have to press the
tracker feature.

I think I'll also be buying one.

Darryl