Troubling story and some questions

Old December 31st 07, 07:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Troubling story and some questions

Hi Gang
Last week Minden had some excellent wave soaring. Off tow at 7.7k
msl and within minutes up to 18k. I decided to go up north skirting
Reno Intl. I had the transponder on and was monitoring Reno Approach.
My goal was to try and fly as fast as possible maintaining an altitude
very close to 18k by speeding up in lift and slowing down in light
lift or sink. This worked well for the first 35 miles where my IAS
(indicated air speed) ranged between 50 knots and 110 knots flying
never less than 17k. Then I got into some real lift and pointed the
nose down and noticed my Becker transponder registering 18.2k which
is, of course, a no no. I then glanced at the IAS. It read 138 knots
which is 165 knots TAS. (Every 1000 feet of altitude above sea level
results in an error of 1.5% in IAS.) So what to do? If I pulled the
spoilers at that speed, the shock might destroy them or the glider. So
I gently pulled the stick back and translated speed into altitude
going above 19k. At about 70 knots I pulled the spoilers and got
myself down to below 18k. I wonder if ATC caught that? Why was this so
bad? Well the VNE at sea level for the SparrowHawk is 123 knots and it
has been demonstrated that at 171 knots the wings come off. This
really gave me cause for concern. How quickly one can get into trouble
by not paying attention. In the future I will fly slower and use the
spoilers to compensate for excessive lift so as to maintain altitude.
This story raises some questions about VNE at various altitudes
which should be of interest to all of us glider pilots. I Googled
combinations of words such as "flutter altitude", "VNE altitude" and
"aircraft breakup altitude" to try and come up with information on
whether the flutter/breakup characteristics of an aircraft are less at
altitude than sea level at the same TAS. Intuitively it would seem so
but intuition may not work here. I found nothing useful. I know that
the World's ultimate high altitude motor glider the U2, which was
designed in the 50s, had much study done on it with regard to its
operating speed window of about 20mph (stall to breakup)at 80k feet
msl. There should now be declassified documents on those studies which
might answer my questions. I would appreciate any pointers anyone. If
I find anything useful I will summarize it on RAS.
Flying is often unforgiving of errors and I will definitely be more
vigilant after this wake up call.
Dave
Old December 31st 07, 01:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bullwinkle

On 12/30/07 11:03 PM, in article
,
" wrote:

[...]

Great story with a lot of lessons for all of us. I've got nothing to offer
about the U-2, but don't forget to file your NASA ASRS.

Old December 31st 07, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Rollings

Flutter speed (the normal cause of the break-up you
are concerned about) varies with altitude but not so
much as does the IAS. As an example, if your flutter
speed is 180 knots at sea level, meaning you can fly
up to 179 knots IAS (and TAS) at sea level, if you
climb to an altitude where 180 knots TAS is 100 knots
IAS, you will probably be able to go up to abouit 140
knots IAS before flutter occurs.

Don't take that as definitive for your glider, it varies
from type to type.

Your 1.5% error per thousand feet only holds good over
a very limited altitude range, space does not start
at 67,000 feet.

Old December 31st 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
01-- Zero One

Dave,

You had another option open to you other than pulling up to slow down to
extend brakes and therefore bumping higher into "no-no" airspace.

You could have maintained your airspeed but turned left or right to get
into weaker lift or light sink. Once you had lost enough altitude then
eased back over into the stronger lift regions.

Larry

"01" USA

Ventus 2bx

:

Old December 31st 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 31, 6:10*am, "Byron Covey" wrote:
"Chris Rollings" wrote in message

Flutter speed (the normal cause of the break-up you
are concerned about) varies with altitude but not so
much as does the IAS.

Are you certain? *Isn't aero flutter a function of true airspeed?

My understanding has always been that the reason Vne drops with
altitude is that flutter is a TAS phenomenon.

9B

Old December 31st 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 31, 8:26*am, wrote:
On Dec 31, 6:10*am, "Byron Covey" wrote:

"Chris Rollings" wrote in message

Flutter speed (the normal cause of the break-up you
are concerned about) varies with altitude but not so
much as does the IAS.

Are you certain? *Isn't aero flutter a function of true airspeed?

My understanding has always been that the reason Vne drops with
altitude is that flutter is a TAS phenomenon.

9B

True sort of. I think what Chris is referring to is that it
apparently is not a simple direct relationship. Hard core wave pilots
and some aerodynamic experts can tell you why. It's a fairly esoteric
area. Each machine has different flutter characteristics, loading
varies... It really gets weird above 40k but even at 18k you can have
a bad day pushing the limits.

Matt Michael
Old December 31st 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Been there done that and glad you got home OK. High performance gliders are
hard to dive out of lift - they just go faster and keep climbing.

I'd suggest to all that, before you get into a situation like this, find out
how your spoilers react at airspeeds near Vne. Work up to it in 5kt
increments starting at 80 knots or so by cracking the spoilers open and
trying to hold them open just a crack.

You won't need much spoiler since the drag produced by them increases with
the cube of airspeed. Even if you need more, most spoiler systems are
fairly forgiving once cracked open so you can smoothly add more drag as
needed.

Bill Daniels

Old December 31st 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

What does your POH say about opening spoilers at high speed? Below
Maneuvering Speed (80 kts, I checked) it shouldn't be a big deal.
FWIW, I think you did the right thing in losing speed right now, rather
than thinking of the FAA implications. Could the feds ground you from
flying your ultralight anyway (probably)? ;-)

Shawn
Old December 31st 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

wrote:
Then I got into some real lift and pointed the
nose down and noticed my Becker transponder registering 18.2k which
is, of course, a no no.

Not really - our 18,000' limit is measured with the altimeter, typically
set by adjusting it to field elevation (msl) while on the ground. Your
transponder was reporting the altitude measured by the encoder, which is
set to 29.92 to measure "pressure altitude". These two measurements can
vary by a thousand feet or more at 18,000', depending on the weather.

As some of the other posters have pointed out, determining flutter
speeds is a tricky business. "Fundamentals of Sailplane Design"
discusses altitude effects on pages 58-60, indicating the "constant TAS"
limit is generally very conservative, but it's best to stick to the
flight manual or contact the manufacturer for guidance.

The flight manual for my ASH 26 E uses a combination of constant IAS and
constant TAS for Vne: it's constant IAS up to 10,000', and essentially
constant TAS above that. That TAS value is equal to Vne (IAS) at 10,000'.

I recommend the "Fundamentals..." book be on every glider pilot's
bookshelf, and that the pilot read it through at least once. It's a
great resource, and a better place to start than wading through a bunch
of hits by Google.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes"