ASH 25e takeoff distances

Old February 17th 08, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbusgb

Default ASH 25e takeoff distances

I am considering the purchase of an ASH 25e. One of the concerns is
our operating field. On some days a Nimbus 3t with 25.5 m tips things
can be a little marginal if the ship is at max T/O weight. How does
the ASH 25 compare if flown empty but 2 up?

We are operating off a 'lush' grass field generally behind a 235 hp
Pawnee or a 185 ( I think ) supercub.

The marginal takeoffs are generally behind the supercub on the
occasional days we change take off direction and are faced with an
initial roll uphill with trees at the far threshold.
Old February 18th 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

On Feb 17, 11:55*am, nimbusgb wrote:
I am considering the purchase of an ASH 25e. One of the concerns is
our operating field. On some days a Nimbus 3t with 25.5 m tips things
can be a little marginal if the ship is at max T/O weight. How does
the ASH 25 compare if flown empty but 2 up?

The ASH-25e indicates a sustainer engine of only 25 hp. Don't think
you want to try using it for takeoff, although I'm told it has self
launched with only one pilot and a down-hill runway. The straight 25
(no engine and 2 pilots) is near equal to the Nimbus 3 with water. Our
25e with engine removed and 2 pilots came in about 1600 lbs.
JJ

Old February 18th 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbusgb

The ASH-25e indicates a sustainer engine of only 25 hp. Don't think
you want to try using it for takeoff,

lol! Wasn't intending too!

The straight 25
(no engine and 2 pilots) is near equal to the Nimbus 3 with water. Our
25e with engine removed and 2 pilots came in about 1600 lbs.
JJ

Both the nimbus 3 and ASH 25's have MAUW's of 750kg. The ASH(e) is
about 40kg heavier empty so in theory we are talking something like
the equivalent of a Nimbus 3 with about 75l of water on board if it
has two 'average' pilots in it
Old February 18th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

On Feb 18, 7:16*am, nimbusgb wrote:
The ASH-25e indicates a sustainer engine of only 25 hp. Don't think
you want to try using it for takeoff,

lol! Wasn't intending too!

The straight 25
(no engine and 2 pilots) is near equal to the Nimbus 3 with water. Our
25e with engine removed and 2 pilots came in about 1600 lbs.
JJ

Both the nimbus 3 and ASH 25's have MAUW's of 750kg. The ASH(e) is
about 40kg heavier empty so in theory we are talking something like
the equivalent of a Nimbus 3 with about 75l of water on board if it
has two 'average' pilots in it

I misunderstood your question, we launched regularly from a 2500 foot
(sea-level) runway behind a Pawnee without any problem. Have done it
(solo) behind a Citabria at 2600 MSL, but had much more runway
available.
Hope this helps, I loved the 25, right after it got
airborne..........didn't like putting it together or shoving it around
on the ground, much! Takeoff is tricky becaust she sits nose high and
the wing is completely stalled for the first 200 feet. We developed a
procedure where we didn't touch the ailerons or rudder, just let it
roll. If a wing came down it would usually stay about a foot above the
ground and not drag. Trying to lift it before we had a good 20 knots
would insure a hard down wing drag.
JJ
Old February 18th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn[_5_]

JJ Sinclair wrote:
[...]

Would stick *toward* the low wing help bring it up at very low speed?

Shawn
Old February 18th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Hoffman

Shawn wrote:

If a wing came down it would usually stay about a foot above
the
ground and not drag. Trying to lift it before we had a good
20 knots
would insure a hard down wing drag.
JJ

Would stick *toward* the low wing help bring it up at very low
speed?

I actually tried that on an RS-15 with non-interconnected
ailerons. It worked. But you had to know exactly when to revert
to normal. After installing an interconnect, where the ailerons
reflexed with the flaps, the problem went away.

--
Regards,
Doug