Way off topic, but it has do to with the French

Old March 4th 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Way off topic, but it has do to with the French

On Mar 3, 7:59 pm, Phil J wrote:
On Mar 3, 6:18 pm, Rich Ahrens wrote:

Phil J wrote:
Churchill was so concerned about it that he ordered the English army
to prepare to use poison gas to defend England's beaches in the event
of a German invasion.

The old ******* was fond of poison gas in general. Ask the Kurds and
Pashtuns, for instance. "I do not understand the squeamishness about the
use of gas. I am strongly in favour of using poison gas against
uncivilised tribes."

Yeah, Churchill didn't really see a moral difference between using
high explosives and using poison gas.

In World War II, the U.S. got involved as well. In 1943 a U.S.Liberty
ship called the John Harvey carried a shipment of liquid mustard gas
to the port of Bari, Italy. It was to be held in reserve in case the
Germans decided to use poison gas. Because the shipment was top
secret, the ship had to wait with all the others to unload. They
waited in the harbor for five days. At the time, the Allied
authorities were convinced that the Luftwaffe wasn't a threat in that
area, so they kept the harbor fully lighted at night so they could
continue unloading ships. A formation of 105 Ju-88s snuck in under
radar and attacked the port, and it was the worst Allied loss of
shipping in a bombing raid since Pearl Harbor. The John Harvey
exploded and released the liquid mustard gas which mixed with oil on
the water. Over 600 were treated for exposure, and 69 died. The
whole thing was hushed up by the English and American governments
because they were afraid the Germans would start using poison gas if
they knew the Allies were working with it.

AFAIK poison gas was never actually used by either side in World War
II, thank God.

Phil

"Poison gas" was used extensively during the Great War. One of the
post-war conclusions was that it was more trouble than it was worth
and had only limited tactical value. The environmental conditions had
to be just so, and often the burden placed on friendly troops reduced
their own combat effectiveness.

The reason the Axis was so reluctant to employ such weapons was more
practical than moral -- contrary prevailing winds, and a tactical
emphasis on the offensive made gas unattractive as a battlefield
weapon.

The only great unknown is why the Germans didn't use it in the last
throes of the Reich.

There are very few weapons which use cannot be justified in one
extremity or the other.

Despite all the bad press, MAD worked, and kept the nuclear option the
untapped resource.

Dan

Old March 4th 08, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil J

On Mar 3, 7:16*pm, " wrote:

"Poison gas" was used extensively during the Great War. One of the
post-war conclusions was that it was more trouble than it was worth
and had only limited tactical value. The environmental conditions had
to be just so, and often the burden placed on friendly troops reduced
their own combat effectiveness.

The reason the Axis was so reluctant to employ such weapons was more
practical than moral -- contrary prevailing winds, and a tactical
emphasis on the offensive made gas unattractive as a battlefield
weapon.

The only great unknown is why the Germans didn't use it in the last
throes of the Reich.

That is a mystery.

There are very few weapons which use cannot be justified in one
extremity or the other.

I suppose there is always the "desperate times call for desperate
measures" argument. But the kind of horrible, painful death you get
from poison gas just seems to put it into a different category.

Despite all the bad press, MAD worked, and kept the nuclear option the
untapped resource.

Dan-

Except for Hiroshima and Nagasaki. But as bad as they were, more
Japanese were killed by the incendiary bombs we dropped than by the
atomic bombs.

There were plans being made in the American military to use atomic
bombs to soften up the beaches if it became necessary to invade
Japan. They didn't realize the effects the radiation would have had
on our troops when they came ashore. That would have been a
catastrophe for both sides.

Surprisingly (to me), the most expensive weapon system America
developed during World War II was not the atomic bomb. It was the
B-29 that dropped it.

Phil
Old March 4th 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Phil J wrote:
On Mar 3, 7:16*pm, " wrote:

"Poison gas" was used extensively during the Great War. One of the
post-war conclusions was that it was more trouble than it was worth
and had only limited tactical value. The environmental conditions had
to be just so, and often the burden placed on friendly troops reduced
their own combat effectiveness.

The reason the Axis was so reluctant to employ such weapons was more
practical than moral -- contrary prevailing winds, and a tactical
emphasis on the offensive made gas unattractive as a battlefield
weapon.

The only great unknown is why the Germans didn't use it in the last
throes of the Reich.

That is a mystery.

Hitler was temporarily blinded by mustard gas in WWI. So that may have had
some influence (excepting the use of gas in concentration camps - Hitler
suggested using poison gas on Jews in Mein Kampf, where he also recounted
his experience in WWI with mustard gas.) In fact Wikipedia claims a cite in
support of the following statement:

"One notable poison gas casualty of the Great War was Adolf Hitler, who was
temporarily blinded. As a result, Hitler adamantly refused to authorise the
use of poison gas on the battlefield during World War II, for fear of
retaliation.[32]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_...in_World_War_I

Trivia: Hitler allegedly originally wore a "Kaiser" style mustache at the
start of WWI but was ordered to clip it to the now-infamous "Toothbrush"
style so it would fit under the respirator masks used during mustard gas
attacks. Reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toothbrush_moustache

Old March 4th 08, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

So the "target of jokesters" supports your conclusion that...?

Sorry.. having a hard time keeping up.

::YAWN::

For a supposedly educated man, you sure have a short attention span.

Oh, well. If you wish to continue this slightly interesting discussion, let
me know. It's a topic of great interest.

Meanwhile, back to flying.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 4th 08, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Well you've not shown yourself in a good light at all in this thread.
I think you should rethink you attitudes and preconceptions.

I don't have attitudes and preconceptions -- but I do have a minor in
history from the University of Wisconsin,

Where everyone majors in drinking...

You say that like it was a bad thing...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old March 4th 08, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Oh, well. If you wish to continue this slightly interesting discussion,
let me know. It's a topic of great interest.

Whoo-weee. Don't even *try* to parse that paragraph.

Yet another reason not to post after a QB meeting...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 4th 08, 07:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

So the "target of jokesters" supports your conclusion that...?

Sorry.. having a hard time keeping up.

::YAWN::

For a supposedly educated man, you sure have a short attention span.

Oh, well. If you wish to continue this slightly interesting
discussion, let me know. It's a topic of great interest.

Meanwhile, back to flying.

Yeah, right. Look at what's talkin.

Bertie

Old March 4th 08, 09:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Aratzio wrote in
:

My nephew was stationed at Aviano. My brother and I went over and
spent 2 weeks at the time of the kid's 21st Bday.

I could live around there.

Yeah. i don't know of Aviano. Whart part? I haven;t been in the south much
except for just quick visits, but I'd like to see more of that part.
Sorrento, Sicily and so on.. So many places, so little time..

Bertie