Way off topic, but it has do to with the French

Old February 28th 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rich Ahrens[_2_]

Default Way off topic, but it has do to with the French

Dallas wrote:
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 14:35:22 -0800, Jim Stewart wrote:

Besides, if it weren't for the French we wouldn't
have cute words like fuselage, aileron, pitot, nacelle
or *cough* monocoque.

You forgot empanage.

And you misspelled it.

Old February 28th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Way off topic, but it has do to with rednecks

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

Did we get all of them? No. But we did pretty well. And last time I
checked there hasn't been a terrorist attack on US soil since.

One thing I've always found interesting when someone puts out the "we
haven't been attacked since" card is that no one in the national media
to my knowledge anyway, has even come close to suggesting something so
basic to common sense that it defies explanation.

Anyone with half a strategic brain has to at least consider the fact
that the reason could very well be that they don't WANT to attack us
again...at least not yet.

Attacking us again would be counter productive to the gains they have to
be seeing happening as we speak through the splitting up of the country
into war and anti-war factions with politicians from both sides fighting
with each other for "control" of the government.

Even the common man in the street can see if they just open their brains
up and THINK, that attacking us again while all this is going on would
serve to UNITE the country rather than divide it!

I could be wrong, but this seems plausible to me. Why do something that
nails a few thousand people and really ****es off the rest of the people
, when you can sit back and let the idiot politicians divide and destroy
the country for you?

--
Dudley Henriques
Old February 28th 08, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

[...]

If you believe AQ their goal with the 9/11 attack, the attack on the USS
Cole and their other actions was to get us and other western nations out
of the Mid-East. They failed, in fact the outcome was exactly the
opposite. And I can understand why they thought the way they did. During
the Clinton administration they attacked the WTC, the Cole and other
targets and the only response from the US was to launch a few cruise
missiles. They had no reason to think that 9/11 would have been any
different. Let's face it, there is no way in hell they thought those
towers would have fallen the way they did.

Please keep in mind that my post was about Afghanistan not Iraq. 20/20
hindsight is great and using it, attacking Iraq was probably a mistake.
The bigger mistake though was not putting enough boots on the ground to
keep AQ and other non-Iraqis out of Iraq once we did go in.
Old February 28th 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I could be wrong, but this seems plausible to me. Why do something that
nails a few thousand people and really ****es off the rest of the people ,
when you can sit back and let the idiot politicians divide and destroy the
country for you?

It's a plausible explanation, except for one thing: We're dealing with
people who strap explosives to mentally handicapped people and blow up
school buses. These aren't the sharpest sticks in the bunch, and I think
you're giving them more credit for strategic thinking than they deserve.

On the other hand, I think even the dumbest among them now realize that they
only have to wait for President Barrack Hussein Obama to win next November
and they win. Why rock the boat now?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 28th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

I could be wrong, but this seems plausible to me. Why do something
that nails a few thousand people and really ****es off the rest of
the people , when you can sit back and let the idiot politicians
divide and destroy the country for you?

It's a plausible explanation, except for one thing: We're dealing
with people who strap explosives to mentally handicapped people and
blow up school buses. These aren't the sharpest sticks in the bunch,
and I think you're giving them more credit for strategic thinking than
they deserve.

On the other hand, I think even the dumbest among them now realize
that they only have to wait for President Barrack Hussein Obama to win
next November and they win. Why rock the boat now?

You are a moron, Jay.

A complete moron.

Bertie
Old February 28th 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Gig 601XL Builder wrote in
:

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

[...]

THe game isn't over yet, and that's only what they told you.

Their actual goal was to get you all running around like tortured
mice...

Bertie
Old February 28th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil J

On Feb 25, 1:41*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Tina wrote in news:80235b82-304b-468a-9d04-
:

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its
terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide." The only two higher levels in
France are "Surrender" and "Collaborate." The rise was precipitated by
a recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively
paralysing the country's military capability.

Bull****. They did make an attempt and they did ask for help, which was not
forthcoming, from the Brits, who made a halfhearted effort, and from the
US, who sold them some equipment. Not to say there weren't some who
welcomed the Germans....

And it turns out they were right about Iraq... Of course, my magic eight
ball had a better chance of getting it right that that twit in the white
house..

Bertie

The French take a lot of heat about their surrender in World War II.
It wasn't exactly their finest hour, but they certainly weren't the
only country to surrender to the Germans. The Germans embarrassed
everybody at the start of that war. They could even have clobbered
the English army at Dunkirk if Hitler hadn't held back his generals,
and they certainly could have invaded and occupied England at any time
in the first few years of the war. Churchill was so concerned about
it that he ordered the English army to prepare to use poison gas to
defend England's beaches in the event of a German invasion.

What some Americans may not realize is that the Germans embarrassed
the U.S. as well. German submarines absolutely devastated our
shipping off the east coast of the United States in the early years of
the war. If you want to read an excellent book about the Battle of
the Atlantic, I recommend Black May by Michael Gannon.

As unprepared as American was at that time, if the U.S. had been part
of Europe, Germany could have rolled over us as well. Germany's use
of advanced technology and advanced tactics put them ahead of every
other country on the planet at that time.

Phil
Old February 28th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Phil J wrote in
:

[...]

Absolutely. The current anti french campaign ( for want of a better
word) is complete and utter BS.

Bertie
Old February 28th 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

As unprepared as American was at that time, if the U.S. had been part
of Europe, Germany could have rolled over us as well. Germany's use
of advanced technology and advanced tactics put them ahead of every
other country on the planet at that time.

I don't think anyone makes fun of the French for surrendering to Hitler's
blitzkrieg. The Wehrmacht rolled over everything in its path, until Hitler
decided that they should winter in the Soviet Union. Bad move for them,
good for us.

No, what makes the French the butt of so many jokes was their collaboration
with the Nazis after the surrender. The Vichy government was an
abomination.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 28th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Phil J wrote:
Germany's use
of advanced technology and advanced tactics put them ahead of every
other country on the planet at that time.

Only part of that is true. At the start of the war German tanks were
generally regarded as inferior to their contemporaries. It was generally
superior tactics and training that won their battles. In fact at the outset
of the invasion of Russia, the Russian T-34 was superior in pretty much
every way to anything the Germans had. (I wasted part of my youth playing
board wargames such as Avalon Hill's "PanzerBlitz" and learned a bit about
the equipment and tactics of the era.)

Refs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_...n_World_War_II
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzerblitz